Remove this ad

Lead

Jul 16 13 9:32 PM

Tags : :

Hi everyone,
Just thought I'd share my most recent flower pic, although I thought it ought to be on a new topic page, since I'm not "Harrogate", but maybe that doesn't matter--I've been adopted by several lovely Harrogate people anyway! :-)
Here's an Hibiscus bloom enjoying the environs of our nearby swimming pool:

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jul 16 13 10:47 PM

Hi Shelagh,
Thanks for your picture too.  The shadow on the on the Hibiscus makes this another interesting study.
Thanks also for reminding us that we should keep to relevant topic pages. 

As for the swimming pool nearby, I never thought I would say this, but in our present British heatwave, a swimming pool would be just wonderful. Sadly,even if we had the climate for outdoor pools, our garden is far too tiny to accommodate one.

By the way, whether you are ex Harpenden or ex Harrogate is no big deal.  We are all ex NCH folk;  that is our link.  As you say, some of us Fairfielders have gotten to know you very well, although we have never actually met. I hope that can be remedied in the not too distant future.
                                                                                                                                     Dorle.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jul 16 13 10:56 PM

Hi Mal Sal

Thanks for starting us off on another round of garden/flower pictures. You certainly have plenty of colour in your garden. Nice pictures!

Hope you and Lesley are enjoying spending holiday time  in the sun with the grandchildren.

Dorle.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jul 17 13 6:45 AM

Hello Dorle & Shelagh,

The Hibiscus is beautiful Shelagh,  but I also agree with Dorle that there is no nicer garden than one in which there are just simple shades of green in all its forms.  From the acid green of Choicya 'Sundance'  to the glaucus green of the Eleagnus, in contrast with the dark bottle green of Holly.  In fact my favorite part of our garden is on the lawn underneath the sweet chestnuts where the boughs hang down low over the grass and give a lovely cool and dappled light    ......    However, here's a rather lurid shot of a corner of the terrace.  We sit and eat at the picnic table under the pergola in the evenings, and I find it very hard to drag myself indoors as the evening advances and it starts to get dark.  I love to sit quietly listening to the frogs, watching the bats and waiting for the owls to start the night shift.

Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jul 17 13 1:16 PM

Hi Dorle and Jennifer,
Ex-NCH, yes!  That's a lovely bond.  I really hope we do get to meet somewhere, somewhen.:-)

Interesting that so many of us have grown up to love flowers, greenery, woods and such--perhaps thanks to childhoods spent close to nature (no techie toys, no TV, etc). Of course this is a normal human thing, but perhaps we NCH kids did have some special luck in that regard.

Slightly changing the topic but relevant, I love Handel's music which celebrates nature so much, eg.
"Where-ere you walk, cool gales shall fan the glade. Trees where you sit, shall crowd into a shade" etc. Anyone know that lovely song?   I was reminded of that with your comment about "simple shades of green in all its forms", Jennifer.

Enjoy the summer, one and all.
We're off to Toronto, Canada, this coming week--just the other side of the Great Lakes really, and pretty much the same weather we get here in Ohio.
Love,
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jul 17 13 3:38 PM

Hello Shelagh,

Yes, I think a lot of us can remember singing 'Where e're you walk' in the choir   ......   Nature is reflected in poetry too, and in the lovely words of  'Pied Beauty' by Gerard Manley-Hokins:

Glory be to God for dappled things.
For skies of couple-colour as a brindled cow;
For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches' wings;
Landscape plotted and pieced - fold, fallow and plough;
And all trades, their gear and tackle and trim.

Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#6 [url]

Jul 17 13 7:13 PM

Hi Everyone,

Nice to have you back here Jennifer with your wonderful photos.  I remember the twins (David & Steve Green) singing a duet of 'Where e're you walk' at home & in the choir & harmonising so beautifully.

Shelagh, I love Hibiscus flowers. In the U.K. due to the heatwave we are having, Hibiscus would probably thrive here at the present time.  We're all enjoying it whilst it lasts.  Enjoy yourself in Toronto, hope you have a great time.

For Dorle, Malc S, Jennifer  & all fairfielders, here is a couple of photos of the Valley Gardens, which I took last Monday, which may bring back some memories.  Also a window box outside my kitchen window.

love Di

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

malsal

superstar

#8 [url]

Jul 18 13 9:09 AM

HI DI  what lovely pictures Valley Gardens as I remember it as we walked to Dragons Parade on a Sunday Morning . love to all  Malc S and Lesley
Looks like I have a odd one out a bit like me really .Jen lovely photo of the birds nest is that your finger holding the branch down ,and what sort are they .  

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jul 18 13 1:20 PM

HI Jennifer!
That Gerard Manley Hopkins poem is one of my favorites.  In fact I posted it on Facebook just recently, with some photos of tree shadows on a fence.  So, "snap!".  :-)
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jul 18 13 2:27 PM

Great minds, Shelagh !

The Valley Garden photos certainly bring back memories, Di.  And I'm sure most of us can remember playing in the little round paddling pool next to the ice cream kiosk   ......   Your window-box is an absolute picture.

The little nest in the photo belongs to a pair of Goldfinches, Malcolm, and now has five eggs.  We have two nesting pairs in the Wisteria at the front of the house, and another in the Eleagnus at the back.  Goodness knows how those brave little birds manage to sit tight for so long under the baking sun without respite !  But we always make sure that their water troughs are well filled, so at least they can have a drink.

Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#11 [url]

Jul 18 13 6:33 PM

Hi Jennifer,

The paddling pool is still there in the same place, however, now it is only used to sail all manner of toy ships etc., some very sophisticated.  When my girls were little, I used to take them there to paddle & they loved to splash about, just like we used to do.

love Di

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help