Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

#3 [url]

May 11 10 12:20 AM

Shelagh,
The red rectangle "Sticky" is for managers in each group to keep topics at the top of the first page on a group.
Often joining info, welcome messages and other topics that will have references to both new and old members.
If this tag is not applied, if no members comment on the item, in the normal way the item would slowly disapear down the page and eventually get lost.
The designers of the system, came up with the word 'Sticky', so it always sticks at the top of the page.

I bet many other members also got a little puzzled.

Philip

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#4 [url]

May 11 10 12:23 AM

The secret place is now revealed
Westminster Central Hall.
--------------------------------------
The Highbury reunion will be on Saturday 3rd July 2010, it will not be at Highbury, but will be at The Westminster Central Hall, London.
The start of the day is at 1pm with The bufffet lunch.
At 2.30pm there will be the presentation about the current work of Action For Children.
At 3.50pm the Sisterhood Memorial Window will be rededicated.
At 4pm there will be the strawberry tea.
Should you wish to get really hungry for the lunch, there is a walk around London where you can learn about the famous landmarks. The start of the walk is at 10.15 am at Wesley's Chapel, City Road, with the finish at Westminster Central Hall.
If you are not on the mailing list for the normal invatation for the Invite for the Highbury Reunion please contact Action for Children on 020 7704 7148 or email katy.kennedy@actionforchildren.org.uk
(so they can make up a name badge and order enough grub)
If you are interested in the 10.15am walk, please ring 020 7704 7034 or email ruth.dean@actionforchildren.org.uk
Hope to see you all there.
and of course at the Highfield (Harpenden) Reunion one week later on 10th July 2010.

Philip

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

May 11 10 1:14 PM

Hi Philip!
Thank you!  I thought maybe I had been gone from England for too long and was losing the language!  I wondered, too, if it was something equivalent to the American word "post-it" which in a sense, it is. 
Ever linguistically curious,
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#6 [url]

May 11 10 2:02 PM

I think the firm that run the groups are American, they might live near the Canadian border, that would account for the strange words to both of us. I don't think they dare use the words "post it" etc.
Philip

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#8 [url]

Sep 4 10 7:36 AM

Roy,
As of today, or rather as of this week, the group is 11 months and two weeks old.
I'm sorry I don't as yet have an exact date, but should a member wish to nominate a date, unless others can come up with an objection, we could adopt it.
Is Lenton making us a cake?
I must give thanks to the Stokies on
http://nchalverstoke.lefora.com/forum/category/general/

who started their group first - Happy Birthdat Alverstoke, who's group is now 12 months old. The sight of their easy to use format, made me decide to move our group from the odd site we had used after the end of the MSM system.

So a big thanks to the Stokies, and a big thank you to all the members who have joined us on the Lefora group, please keep passing the name of the site on.

Philip

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#9 [url]

Sep 4 10 10:37 PM

So Stokies got something right for once, that surely deserves a cake. If Lenton is going to make it should it be a battenburg(er) or genoa better type?

OK I'll go quietly!!
Roy

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#10 [url]

Sep 4 10 11:28 PM

Roy,
The Stokies deserve a bit of praise on their Birthday.

As to the cake, Lenton only has been given the two standard Highfield Bakehouse recipies.
1 Standard Plain.
2 Standard Fruit (amount of fruit in the cake, depends on the amount scoffed while the baker in charge has his back to his trainees.

But this one might be better, if the right things can be scrounged from the shops in Harpenden ( if the staff in the shops have not recently looked at the Wanted Posters with our pictures on).

1cup raisins, seedless
1cup currants
1/2cup candied cherries
1/2cup mixed citrus peel candied
1cup mixed dried fruit
1cup rum
1cup sherry sweet, or port wine

1/2pound butter at room temperature
1/2cup brown sugar
4large eggs
2cups flour, all-purpose
1teaspoon baking powder
1teaspoon ginger ground
1teaspoon nutmeg ground
3teaspoons cinnamon ground
1/2teaspoon cloves ground
1/2teaspoon allspice ground
2 1/2teaspoons lemon extract
2 1/2teaspoons almond extract
1teaspoon vanilla essence
1/4cup food colouring brown
1/2cup  
rum

Philip

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

royl

fanatic

#11 [url]

Sep 4 10 11:36 PM

Philip,
Only half a cup of rum, are you sure?  Anyway if Lenton practices a few times between now and next July it should be a humdinger and plenty of secondary attempts for them other people. And, alright " Happy Birthday" Stokie forum. Roy

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Sep 14 10 11:27 AM

A group of in-mates on the 'boys' lawn, Chipping Norton circ 1942.

I see, Charlie Cann,tall chap at back, Norman Hacker,fronting onto Charlie in shirtsleeves and curly mop!,,Ron Chambers on N.H left,rollneck jumper. William 'beefy Barnard shirtsleeves in front of N.H. on Beefys'  left is Billy' (gabby) Somerset.

On ground in the front is Alfred ( pegleg) Grange, cheats at football using one leg and two crutches to control the ball!

Can't rememeber the others and hope I have the known ones right.   Photo by Sister Laura Harrington I think.   When told to 'Smile' we smiled?
Anyone know these lucky folks? 

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Sep 19 10 1:39 PM

Hi Phillip.
Evacuated to tempory premises At 8 Porkington Terrace ( requisitioned Hotel ) Barmouth Nth Wales because Alresford was considered too close to Hitler.  Approx: one year there before we were all shipped out to various branches, in my case Edgeworth.  Contacted osteomylitis in my right thigh and busted the weakened femur. ( some Doctor? diagnosed arthritis). After eight months in full body plaster of paris and knee now siezed up, shipped to Chipping Norton as a semi invalid!. Did not mind that at all as it got me away from bullys' Paradise.
Chucked out( Hooray! ) a year early at 15 years old by seriously p%$~?*&^%ing of the Matron and started my real life in London lodging at Aubert Park NCH Hostel.

Well' You .did ask 
Best Regards.
Norman  

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#20 [url]

Sep 19 10 2:09 PM

Norman are you in any of the other photos by Sister Laura Harrington at

http://www.theirhistory.co.uk/70001/info.php?p=18&pno=0
(half way down the page).

and at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22326055@N06/sets/72157606652020668/with/2750960706/

Philip

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help