Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

#61 [url]

Apr 28 11 11:56 PM

Harrogate Special Unit.
The Educational Psychologist at Highbury put this in my file. October 1967.
"I think Philip does in fact require more than average help and if he is to remain in the care of the National Children’s Home, I would recommend that he be considered for a place at the Harrogate Special Unit".

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#62 [url]

May 2 11 9:54 PM

Hi all,
I'm just wondering if there are any members here that was at pannal ash rd the same time as my sister and myself. It would of been 1971 to 1973/4 ish. We both lived in no8 with uncle Ian and aunty Lynne, there was also a miss Denise.

Our names are (or were) Dorothy and Valerie Smith ages 7yrs and 5yrs. We both had very white hair. If so i would love to hear from you as my memory is very limited on them years.

All the best
Dot

Quote    Reply   

#63 [url]

May 3 11 6:58 AM

Philip,
I'm sure you would have liked it at Harrogate.   Obviously, when I was a baby, sister Flora kept a very close eye on me, and I was cared for by the older girls & boys, just as one would be in any family with older brothers & sisters.  But once I was at junior school and more  'independent' I was free as a bird.  I would walk for miles by myself in the countryside, looking for mice and frogs and bird's nests.  There was a swampy area some distance from the home's boundaries where we'd spend all day trawling for newts.  I don't think our play was ever supervised, and so long as we were home for mealtimes, the world was our oyster.  Alone or otherwise.
Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#64 [url]

May 3 11 7:31 AM

dizzy_dot,
We don't seem to have anyone else on the site yet from the seventies, although there are several different age groups, and we all have pretty much the same memories.  Dorothy Silk, Pat Denston and I lived in number seven during the fifties & sixties.  Throughout that time we were cared for by spinster 'sisters' as of course in those days, once a woman got married, she had to leave her post and concentrate on her own family.   Married couples as carers were introduced at a later date, although the sisters did an excellent job and were dedicated to their career.  As you can see, we all have happy memories, and a deep love & respect for the sisters.   Hopefully when you read the postings on the site, it will recall some happy memories of your own whilst in care.
Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#65 [url]

May 3 11 7:46 AM

Jenifer,
I think the problem with Harpenden was that up to the 1950s it had been an enclosed site, many of the children went to school on the site, so other than organised trips to the shops, there was no reason for any Highfield child to be out of the grounds.
By the mid 1960s, life had become more free for the older child, and many were allowed to leave the 40 acres of grounds, but for those under 12 you were generally confined to the Home other than walking to or from school, or on a Saturday going to the local shop or possibly to the swimming pool, again only with full permission.
Restrictions this way, only gave problems when we did get freedom, the locals knew who the 'Home' children were and knew who to watch, many of the surrounding houses were not those that contained families, so any child on the loose was probably from the Home.
Others of my age who had spent all their life in the Home, did not see much point in 'the outside' with the traffic and people they did not know, for me it was different, I had two years of total freedom before the Home, so was like a caged animal.

Philip

Quote    Reply   

#66 [url]

May 3 11 8:39 AM

Philip I well remember in the 40s if we wanted to go to the pictures,or the village we had to go to the office and get Mr Shutt to sign our pass,we darent go without one(well i cant speak for the boys)good days.Audrey.

Quote    Reply   

#67 [url]

May 3 11 8:55 AM

Hi all Harrogate obg  I have just been talking with my brother in Aussie and he want,s me to ask all if you can remember a Sister Kathleen Naylor, i can  but do not know what happened with her.
Best wishes Terry     
                             P.s  nice to be back

Quote    Reply   

#68 [url]

May 3 11 9:51 AM

Terry, I can't remember  a sister Kathleen.  But if it was during the early fifties, my little world would have revolved round sister Flora   ......   But next time you talk to Tony, please give him my love.
Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#69 [url]

May 3 11 3:22 PM

Hi Terry,
Welcome back, missed your posts. you have a lot to catch up on. I have a recollection of a Sister Kathlene but I'm struggling to place her exactly and visualize her, I'll keep working the old gray matter around.
Take care
Malc

Quote    Reply   

#70 [url]

May 3 11 3:40 PM

Hi Jen,
Your post of where we used to go stirred up memories of the freedom we were allowed. We went everywhere didn't we, I speak for the boys of course when we would hike to Almscliff Crag. We used to cut across the fields after Beckwithshaw and were once stopped by a farmer complete with shotgun who said, "Whey as tha goin'?. "Almscliff Crag" says us, "Well tha's trespassing on me land", says he. Quick as a flash, Graham Kirby says, "Heres a penny, if we give you a penny and you take it then were not trespassing". The farmer gave it thought and said, "Oo tawd tha that". Curly says, "I read it in a book", and the farmer grinned, took the penny and said, "Tha' reads ower much Lad, gawn then off wi tha' ". We thought we were the bees knees at Law after that. Going into town was good except we had nothing to spend. How many can remember a feller called Sandy McFerson or something, trying for the Guiness world record for non stop piano playing. He did it in the cinema on Parliament street (I think), and our group used to skive off Sunday School and go see him, it was quite pathetic towards the end, he was nearly falling of the stool, we thought it hilarious and got thrown out for laughing so much. Across town to the swimming baths, that was quite a walk, especially going home. Later on it was walking in the countryside with a certain young Lady of a similar age. As you said, total freedom, just be home for tea, and none of todays fears. The list is endless, Wonderful times.
Take care all
Malc

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#71 [url]

May 3 11 3:53 PM

Hi Malcolm Thanks it is nice being back and yes a lot to catch up on. Di thinks i should liason with you or one of the others in regards to accomadation  for the reunion.. I remember Sandy Mc ferson he used to play the organ in the Blackpool  Tower.
Terry

Quote    Reply   

#72 [url]

May 3 11 4:39 PM

Hi Terry,
Arrr, now then, I might have the wrong last name because your right ,Sandy McFerson was the towers man and I know it wasn't him, he wouldn't do such a thing. I'll think somemore, it will come to me. Sounds like a good idea re accomodation. I have saved some sites that I've looked at. I haven't booked my flight yet, waiting for the September deals as i did last year, of course, they just increased thew fuel tax !.
will tal soon though
Cheers
Malc

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#73 [url]

May 3 11 9:05 PM

Hi Terry & Malcolm, I also can't remember the guy's name who played the organ at St. Jimmys cinema, it was Cambridge Street Malc, Lew & I went before we were married so it would be about 1959 & yes we were all waiting for him to collapse before he broke the record.

I bumped into Russ Weatherill today in town & he is also coming to the reunion.  He was with his daughter Jackie, it was so nice to see him again.  He left Harrogate a few years ago & moved to Cornwall with his wife Sheila, but didn't like it, so came back into a different address & I lost touch.

Great to have you back Terry.
love Di

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#74 [url]

May 3 11 10:54 PM

Hi All,

Sandy Macpherson was the resident organist at the BBC throughout WW2.  During this time he would visit industrial areas and play concerts anywhere that had an organ.  There is a well documented account of a visit to a Doncaster  cinema where the show was interupted by an air raid and Sandy continued his programme by singing it with the audience in a shelter.   So it is possible that it was Sandy in your area.  I can find records of him playing at the Tower Ballroom Blackpool but I dont think he was resident in our time. That honour went to Reginald Dixon whose fame only faded as the pop era came in.

Roy

Quote    Reply   

#76 [url]

May 3 11 11:17 PM

Hello Di,
What good news about Russ!, cant wait to meet up with him. Is Jackie his first born, if so she was the 'soon to be born' little one that kept her Mum in the house when Russ did the Rhodededron trick. on the way home from The Saltbox.Cant wait to remind him.
 Of course your correct again, the advantage of staying in Harrogate. (I almost did that when my father didn't want me in Crewe with him). It was St James cinema, Cambridge street, isn't Google maps wonderful !. I laughed when I think of us all waiting for him to fall of his perch!.
Thanks Di
Take care
Love Malc

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#78 [url]

May 4 11 12:14 PM

Hi  Terry,

I did not mean to imply Sandy didn't play at the Tower,I just said he was not the resident. I have records sadly undated, of  Sandy doing visiting organist for at least two periods of one week.  My guess, and it is only a guess, would be 1948/55 era.     This does not preclude any wartime visits.
      The limitations on his wartime visits were the heavy workload at the BBC.  In the earlier part of the war the lack of musicians due to them being called up meant that over half of the BBCs music output was covered by soloists and military bands.  The organ which only required one player was slightly more popular than the piano as it produces a greater depth and range of sound and has greater natural volume. 

Roy 

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#79 [url]

May 4 11 8:07 PM

Hi Sue, When I left in 1957 Pop Roycroft was still the Governor & shortly after that it was Mr Len Wicks, who drove me to our wedding & was a witness along with Dotty Downing.  They were both so good & I've never forgotten how kind Mr Wicks was.  In fact only 2 or 3 months ago, Sister Mary Illett gave me his email address.  I emailed him thanking him for his kindness etc. & received a lovely email back saying he remembered taking me to the register office.  Can you believe he is over 90, online & living with his daughter.  I didn't know Mr & Mrs Stephenson, but it certainly helped receiving kind attention.

When I see Russ again, I'll pass on your regards.  Ken used to play table tennis in Harrogate & Lewis often used to come across him in the League, but he doesn't play anymore.
love Di

Quote    Reply   

#80 [url]

May 5 11 12:42 AM

Hello Di,
Do you think Mr Wicks would appreciate an email?. I'd love to say Hi and thanks, even though I was there for only a short time at the start of his tenure I found him to be a great fella. He kept in touch by letter with me when I was in Chester, still got them actually.! If you think it would be okay, would you let me have his email??
Take care Di
love malc

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help