Remove this ad

Lead

Sep 24 09 9:35 PM

Tags : :

Hi

I am Helga (nee Pucill) who lived at Holmwood, NCH, Westbury on Trym, Bristol.

It seems that most people who are in the Multiply group are from Harpenden.  It would be brilliant if anybody who has joined the group was at Holmwood around the time I was there, from 1955 - 1963.

Thanks all.

H

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Sep 30 11 6:34 PM

Hi my name is john willis I was at Holmwood from 1960 to 1970 in perkins house under sister doreen i would have been a bit young to remember you i think i was in holmwood house while my brother was in the nursery i remember a lot of the people diann the walshes,robert and raymond,christine and of course godfrey allso eric and peter tynan
if you want to pick my brain doso

jonny

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Sep 30 11 6:35 PM

Hi my name is john willis I was at Holmwood from 1960 to 1970 in perkins house under sister doreen i would have been a bit young to remember you i think i was in holmwood house while my brother was in the nursery i remember a lot of the people diann the walshes,robert and raymond,christine and of course godfrey allso eric and peter tynanif you want to pick my brain dosojonny

-jonny

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Oct 1 11 1:32 PM

Hi Jonny

I remember Peter and Eric Tynan.  Eric was in touch with me last year but since then I've heard nothing, although I have tried to contact him a few times.

Godfrey I remember - he had a brother David but their mother took him (David) and Godfrey ended up back at Holmwood.  Nice lad - after I ran away from my adoptive parents in 1970 I was taken back for a lecture from Sister Doreen who told me I was "ungrateful".  She wasn't prepared to listen to the reasons WHY I ran away.  While they talked I was sent to talk with Godfrey who had broken his leg and it was in plaster. 

I don't think you would have known Gary and Paul Von Keilenberg (not sure how that is spelled!)  I also remember Elizabeth Young.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Oct 1 11 2:45 PM

Hi Helga

Eric was a bit of a boy but Peter went to university at oxford he allso played football for oxford united he trained to be a teacher they were sister doreens boys and used to come back to visit quite often i remember nicking all of peters money all in half crowns
I was allways in trouble for stealing and running away after reading a lot of the mail the other places must have been heaven that is not what i remember there were good times of course but these were normally away from the home cubs,and camping holidays i was sent home to my mother at 13 that was when i left school and life was hell i left home at 15 took my brother to his father and drifted for many years i can understand Doreen not wanting to talk about the truth of what realy happens in life for even after years of looking after kids she never realy understood children the last time i spoke to her after leaving i told her things were not to good her reply was we cannot afford to bring you back that nearly distroyed me as i was told i could come back if things did not work out i could say a lot more but this is the most i have typed in years

jonny

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#5 [url]

Oct 1 11 10:53 PM

Hi Jonny,

Welcome to this site.  It is great to see that Helga's patience has been rewarded with another from Holmwood joining the site.  It does seem to me that at times you may wish to talk just a little bit more privately with others on this forum. You can do this through the system of Private messages. To use this system look for the name of the person where it is printed in red. Click on that name and a new screen will open- to the top right, click on "send a private message" . This will open a frame similar to the reponse frame on these subjects.   Write your message then remember to click on the 'send' button at the bottom of the screen.

Roy

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Oct 2 11 1:21 PM

Peter stayed on after the age of 16 years as he helped with the kids.  Eric told me that he lost touch with Peter after he left the home.

Sister Doreen could be rather over-enthusiastic with the physical punishment but I do remember after one particular nasty occasion she came to me and apologised.

I was in Holmwood with my older sister Caroline.

I was caught shoplifting and this was commented on in my records form NCH which I obtained a few years ago.  They put it down to my mother dying while I was there - but as far as I can recall I was always at it - especially Jubblies!

I remember a boy called John Yanni who was carted off to the "naughty boys school" because he had a temper on him and smashed up a living room.  However he was always a good friend to me - well as good a friend as children can be. 

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Oct 2 11 4:40 PM

I went to oxford with sister doreen to see peter she hoped he would have an influnce on me the last time i saw him was at the garden fete when i was about 10 eric used to help the scouts by driving a coach
Yes her punishments were very harsh but soon forgotten i was ill when she died and my family would not tell me anything untill later as my uncle died at the same time
I know she lived in burnham on sea as she was a friend of my aunty marie and moved there to be near her she allso died a year before did you ever go to burnham on sea on holliday john leaghs house and go to the holli marine camp
did you cut up the butter into ration sizes if so i remember you

john

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Oct 3 11 2:07 PM

The only seaside we went to was Weston-Super-Mud! 

I didn't see Sister Doreen after she left Holmwood - I could not believe how little she cared about the reasons why I had run away from "home" (adoptive parents) and alls she could do was criticise.  My sister kept in touch with her through the years but then she was never subject to punishment as she was a bit of a goody-two-shoes!

I was in the big house in the Robinson family.  I don't remember cutting up butter!  But that is not to say I never did do that!

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Oct 3 11 2:09 PM

The only seaside we went to was Weston-Super-Mud! 

I didn't see Sister Doreen after she left Holmwood - I could not believe how little she cared about the reasons why I had run away from "home" (adoptive parents); she refused to listen and all she could do was criticise.  My sister Caroline kept in touch with her through the years but then she was never subject to punishment as she was a bit of a goody-two-shoes!

I was in the big house in the Robinson family.  I don't remember cutting up butter!  But that is not to say I never did do that!

Caroline use to present the bouquet to the Mayor at the summer fêtes, as she had long fair hair and was very pretty....

-helga22

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Oct 13 11 7:51 PM

I wonder if you have mixed Peter and Eric up.  Eric lives in Oxford now.  He told me that Peter eventually went back to   Liverpool and he's not seen him for decades.  I know that Peter was allowed to stay on after he was 16 as he was said to have been good with the kids.  It could have been him who was driving the coach for the scouts.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Oct 14 11 4:22 PM

Hi no it was eric who drove the coach peter never got involved much with the kids he was studying sorry i have not been in touch for a while but i have been busy
If Eric contacts you again i would love to hear  from him 
The memories of holmwood in the early years are sometimes very mixed up as we moved around quite a bit from the nursery to the group and from holmwood house to perkins house  ect ect
was there an albino there david lappodovan or a girl named fiona drury or katherine loveridge these were oder than me maybe they will  bring back memories for you I hope so

Hear from you soon 

John Willis

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Oct 15 11 1:02 PM

I won't argue re Peter and Eric.  I know what he (Eric) has told me and what Sister Doreen also said after I left the home.  Memories fade and/or change with the passage of time.

I remember an albino lad called David Snow - I thought that was a good name for somebody who was Albino!

Fiona Drury rings a bell but I think she was in Perkins House.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Oct 16 11 10:41 AM

Yes Fiona was in perkins house she was adopted by the couple who lived near the old severn river crossing but that would have been after you left maybe 67/68.
Snow or Lapodavan its been well over 40 years and my mind is not as good as it was
I allso remember 2 black brothers frank who was my age and theodore they had a realy bad surname they should have been there when you were at holmwood house
Frank was sent to penarth the bad boys place but i heard later he became a police officer in Wales
Teddy was adopted by two sisters who lived at the bottom of Falcondale Road Frank saved one of there lives when the river trym burst its banks badly he got a medal from someone and it was soon after he was sent away 
so many memories how many are real

john p willis 

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Oct 16 11 1:32 PM

Hi again

I don't remember two black brothers but I do remember John Yani (not sure how it is spelled) who was mixed race.  He was carted off to the "naughty boys school" after trashing a living room.

Quote    Reply   

clive

superstar

#16 [url]

Oct 20 11 12:29 AM

Dear Helga,

I have just seen your message of 15 October:-

"  I remember an albino lad called David Snow - I thought that was a good name for somebody who was Albino!"

I think you are referring to David Le Podevin (trust that is the correct spelling) who I think was known as "Snowy" and wonder if you or other Old Boys and Girls of NCH Holmwood know of his present whereabouts?

Best wishes,

Clive

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Oct 20 11 12:39 PM

thanks Clive - that could be it.  I know the word "Snow" came in somewhere!!!

No I've not heard about him since I left in 1963 - maybe he is on Facebook..............

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Oct 27 11 10:55 PM

Hello all...my name is Debbie Christopher...I was in the Browns at Holmwood NCH in the 70s...my brothers Alan and Paul were also there.  I was under Peter Tozer and also Ruth Underhill. I remember many people, but it seems very hard to find them on this site...If any one remembers me or my brothers, please get in touch x

d.christopher

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Feb 6 12 11:17 PM

what a lot of memories come back, reading about Frankie and Teddy and the others at Holmwood.  I was at Perkins House between 1958 and 63.  Remember Helga and Caroline well and Miss Bottom and the meetngs we had to go to if someone had done something wrong, the long lectures we used to get from her, Edith

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help