Remove this ad

royl

fanatic

#261 [url]

Apr 24 11 7:32 PM

Now here's a thought. A Nissan that with uniquely styled wing that somtimes runs versus a Mercedes that sometimes doesn't. Difficult one that!

Roy

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

#262 [url]

Apr 24 11 10:16 PM

Roy,
The difference in the cars in the traditional 1950s styling is the Merc has three points on the star, the Nissan after Mr Mitsuoka has played about with it has seven.
The good thing about the Merc is that if you had a 1956 model fully comp insurance would be about £150 and quite easy to get, for the Nissan of 1996 about £400 - £500 if you can find an insurance company to take you on, and that is with a 10 year No Claims Bonus.
If Jeff changes it for a Ford, at least there will be plenty of garages that will be able to get him running with any problems, after all we do need a car on reunion day to give driving lessons to the Stokies.

Philip

Click here to view the attachment
Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

clive

superstar

#263 [url]

Apr 25 11 10:16 AM

25 April 2011

Dear Roy,

THE NATIONAL CHILDREN’S HOME

According to Alan A Jacka’s book, THE STORY OF THE CHILDREN’S HOME 1869 1969:-

“The Children’s Home had become the Children’s Home and Orphanage as the result of the opening of the Princess Alice Orphanage at New Oscott in 1882 for ‘destitute orphan children of Christian parents’.  In practice the three essential elements, ‘destitute’, ‘orphan’ and ‘Christian’, were interpreted very liberally as the years went by.

In 1908 the word ‘National’ was added to the title and it has been a matter of considerable debate ever since whether more was gained by the indication of the nationwide scope of the work, or lost by the implication that because the Children’s Home was ‘national’ it had become the responsibility of the State.  ‘Nation-wide but not nationalized’ has become a slogan for the Home’s fund raisers, which will have to be reiterated and re-defined in the new context of the Children and Young Persons Bill, 1969”.

Best wishes,

Clive   

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#264 [url]

Apr 25 11 11:41 AM

Hello Clive,

What surprised me was the dropping of the 'Orphanage' title at a time when the NCH had many German children in care who were genuine orphans. This was in addition to the fvery few British orphans who were still in care.  Indeed  about a month before I left in 1954 such a child was taken in at Harpenden.

Roy

Quote    Reply   

clive

superstar

#265 [url]

Apr 25 11 2:58 PM

25 April 2011

Dear Roy,

THE CONVOCATION LECTURESHIP OF THE NATIONAL CHILDREN’S HOME

“I SAT WHERE THEY SAT”

At the Convocation of 1945 the workers of the National Children’s Home decided to institute

A CONVOCATION LECTURESHIP

and for this purpose to invite to the Annual Convocation a distinguished exponent of some aspect of child-welfare practice.

It was further agreed that this series of Convocation Lectures thus constituted should be published and circulated as widely as possible as a timely contribution towards the solution of some of the most important and pressing problems of child care.

The former lectures in this series included:

1954: ‘I Sat Where They Sat’, by Rev John H. Litten, CBE; formerly Principal National Children’s Home.

In this Lecture, the Rev John Litten states:-

“It will be remembered that, when the founder opened his first little home at Lambeth, it was for boys only, but it is significant that he did not call it a Boys’ Home, for he knew that his work was bound to grow, and would need room to shelter girls as well.  There were many compelling reasons for this.  In addition to the fact orphanhood and neglect befell girls as well as boys, there were, alas in the New Cut, the Mint, and the highways and byways of the Waterloo neighbourhood, many poor girls, unprotected and undefended, who were in sorrier and more perilous plight than even were the boys.  From his first beginnings, therefore the Founder’s title for his life-work was THE CHILDREN’S HOME.  Wings were added to it later – on the one side NATIONAL, and on the other side AND ORPHANAGE.  They are descriptive wings, but they don’t fly.

What’s in a name?  A great deal may be in it when it is well and wisely chosen, and THE CHILDREN’S HOME is a good name.  In the shortest possible compass it describes, without patronage or immoderate sentiment, WHAT is being done – the care of CHILDREN; and then HOW it is being done – by finding them a HOME.  It is a name, too, that with the years has gathered to itself the happy associations and the sustained affection of one of the biggest families in the world.

It is good to see, too, throughout the Home’s widespread family to-day that many happy, homely, and distinctive names are being used, not only for individual houses, but for whole Branches.  Each Branch of the Children’s Home has, of course, its official letter-heading for formal and business correspondence.  This gives particulars of the central Headquarters, the local Branch address, and the names and functions of the Home’s central executive, as well as the name of the Branch Governor, or Sister-in-charge; but it may be much less embarrassing for both staff and children – especially the older ones – when writing personal letters to their friends, to do so under a note-paper heading that does not tell everybody everything every time, for those who live in the Children’s Home can use their own happy, distinctive, and homely designations, such as Holmwood, Highfield, Danesford, Evenley Hall, Tregarn, Penhurst, Headlands, Sea View, Ryalls Court – and all the rest of them.  It may, perhaps, seem a small thing to which to call attention – but it is not so little as it looks.”

Best wishes,

Clive

Quote    Reply   

#266 [url]

Apr 25 11 4:25 PM

Hi there Brian[ Bentley] Bertie Baldwin here. Bentley now thats a name that i can relate too my sister is married to a Bentley they live in Blackpool maybe he could be a distant relative? anyway you say that you were born in Harpenden 3 miles out of Luton would that be Kingsborn Green and that you attended the church Green School would that be the one in the Village.
         I cannot quite make out wheather or not you were actually in the home but i see that you have shown some interest in the abbreviation of the house OGB and as its  been said it stands for Old Girlls & Boys, but its the history, as a bonefide member of both Clfton & OGB i can speak as a true spoksman, and i say here and now that OGB was never a house of iniquity or rougues the very thought would make Sister Marjory turn in her GRAVE, Now as for Clifton i can only say that i was moved from there into OGB as it was said that i was being misled and that OGB would put me back on the right track, in fact there was some mention of changing the abbreiation of OGB to Only Good Boys and it has to be said that i am living prove. God bless OGB.
            Ihope this message finds you well, and you had a great Easter best regards Bertie B.

Quote    Reply   

#267 [url]

Apr 26 11 12:30 AM

Hi Bertie,
What about Sister Winifred she would not be happy to hear OGB was a house of iniquity or rougues, you are correct it was full of Only Good Boys, the Grimes'es, Ken, Dennis, Michael & Lawrence, John Eliout,  John Davis, Bobby Cowley. Michael Hall, Horace Barrett, Roy Baxter, The Erskins Tony & Hughie, Thomas & Roy Bennet, Paul Cieka and me Michael Mapp.What a line up all squeeky clean up right males. Cheers Mr Brian Bentley please explain your words. Mick Mapp

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#268 [url]

Apr 26 11 12:47 AM

Boys were sent to OGB because they could Only  Get  Better which of course showed the ill-founded optimistic attitude of the NCH.   Clifton was set alongside as an example of the perfection that could be achieved!!!

Roy
Still stirring!. 

Quote    Reply   

#269 [url]

Apr 26 11 8:31 AM

Royl

Many thanks for your explanation regarding the NCHO, Branchs etc and the way they fit in.  It is starting to fall into place with me, as I had such a limited time in care compared to most of the Children, It left mant gaps in this part of my life and unfortunatly, my Parents having now all gone to God leaving me with many unanswered questions. Since discovering Growingupinthench Forum. there are so many questions and info on the life of Children in Care that I read of in the postings. Generally, it appears that life was not so unhappy as I had imagined and I guess with the passage of time since my experiance in the 30,s many improvments had taken place. I think that was one of the reasons I became involved with Children in care in Australia and fostering two to adulthood, both with sucessful careers overseas. Unfortunatly I will not be able to make it to reunions, but having a Grandson in America on a baseball scholarship. we use a webcam using skype for perfect reception to say hello. Has this been thought of as it is becoming popular in Australia.

bentley58

Quote    Reply   

#270 [url]

Apr 26 11 9:14 AM

Hi Bertie Baldwin

Yes I was certainly in the NCHO in Harpenden and then to the Sanaturium plagued with TB, having lost my Father at two years old. I am vague as I was only about 3 to 4 years old at that time, I have no known relatives in Blackpool,but yes I attended the primary School at Church Green in the Village and was in the same class as the Boy Lovibond whose parents owned the wine and spirits shop at the corner.

I lived at "The Close"  which is about a mile back from Kinsbourne Green towards Harpenden Village not 3 miles out of Luton as you mention and was born in the Harpenden nursing home. We moved to luton in 1938 just prior to the war!

Have a Great Easter and keep in touch Brian

bentley58

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#274 [url]

Jun 12 11 1:42 AM

Hi Clive,
I was in Perkins House, Holmwood from 1969-1978. Last Wednesday 8th June I was in Westbury at Canford Crem attending Jasmine Dahd's funeral, she was also in Holmwood but was already there when I arrived in '69. When were you at Holmwood and were you in Perkins or the main house?
Look forward to hearing back from you. Regards. Monica

Quote    Reply   

clive

superstar

#276 [url]

Jun 15 11 2:17 PM

Dear Monica,

Thanks for your message and apologies for the delay in responding as I have been away.

I was not at Holmwood but at Killay House the Swansea branch of the NCH.  I remember visiting Holmwood and also the NCH South West Regional Office that was based there.  I remember Sister Jean W Gray and David Le Poidevin and wonder how they are?

Best wishes,

Clive

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help