Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

#21 [url]

Oct 23 09 9:15 PM

A Day out at Hemel
A railway day out, years after the line closed to passenger travel.
The photo is the 1957 outing by the Locomotive Club of Great Britain

In the mid 1960's it was used to carry ash

The line is now closed and has become a walk way, so no more punishments.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22326055@N06/3221355836/

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#24 [url]

Nov 2 09 1:18 PM

hi Philip, the photo, of the group of children at harpenden is me ,(vere), David, malcolm, and sally, the price family, then we have sally jones, and little johnny RIP, and the mcormac famiy,do you reconise them ??? ... as always vere,

Vere Price

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#25 [url]

Nov 2 09 8:18 PM

Vere,
I had left well before Flat 1 became a more friendly group of younger children, I gained my freedom before Lenton, Noel, Tommy, & Pauline.
My second to last Christmas is shown here, with a certain very innocent girl at the front.
I have to admit that we always tried to muck up a photo (that's why there so few taken of us), by trying to get the blame placed on somwhere else. Lenton having got hold of Malc's ear, was as much fun as he was going to get that time as a method of causing some fun.
My position, is that of a person waiting for a penalty to be taken, I won't say here why my hands are in that position.
Just in the corner is Laddie the dog, all sort of food was forced down the poor creatures throat while Sister Rosemary was not looking.
If you need to blame anyone for the survival of this photo, then a little word with Malc could be a good idea.

Philip

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Nov 20 09 10:13 PM

Hi Philip!
My sister, Nancy, is in this picture.  (The picture osf Sister pearl and her Girls).  Far right, second row. She's been gone now for a few years--a bit sad for me to see this youthful picture of her, and all that promise!  Her life was hard, but in some ways she did so well.  I'm in touch with her kids and grandkids--all very bright, beautiful people!  As mine are, too.  We did our best to put some good stock into repopulating Britain, in spite of what happened to us as children.
~Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Nov 29 09 9:33 PM

Thanks Philip!
No--don't remove the picture of her (my sister).  This is the reality--we were there at that time, and life has unfolded for both of us as it should.  But thanks for your concern.  It's good to allow for sadness sometimes--after all, what we all went through by being at the NCH was no normal childhood, even if it had its good sides.  :-)  It's best not to deny the feelings, but certainly we have to also move on, and of course we all have!
I want to try posting some pictures on this site.  Will have to get my techie hubby involved here when he's not busy!  :-)
Best to all,
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#31 [url]

Dec 1 09 9:48 PM

Manland Junior - Primary School
Pre 1966 as the New wooden two classroom hut has not yet been built.
The juniors are forming the queue for dinner, wise NCH children hide until the last few are going in, as this gives better chances of getting bigger portions, in 1966 the meal system was changed to one long queue and served in turn, you could leave when finished, this was due to the increase in numbers from the refugee classes that had been at the old school for their first year in 1964/65.
Mr Walton has his commanding office that at least could see part of the playground.
Mr Kingham's Football field is in good order.

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Dec 9 09 11:20 PM

Hi Shelagh & Philip Bertie Baldwin here yes the kid with me in the cub's uniform is Bruno Runda taken on one of the open days at the home about 1950 happy days best regards Bertie B.

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#34 [url]

Dec 12 09 1:59 AM

Harpenden boys on holiday in Norfolk 1950. I can identify some of them but require help and if you know better, correction please. If any one would like a copy of this without the numbers please let me know.  Roy
2. Tony Vosper? 5. Royl ( fairly certain of this !)  7. Mr Roach  9. Rusty(Royston) Gauntlett  14. Ted (as if you need to be told) 15. Tony Strange  16. Colin Lewis?
18. Wolfgang Markwith/Marquis  21. Bones(Brian) Gauntlett 22. Dennis Gauntlett
23. Paul Cieka

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#36 [url]

Jan 4 10 2:01 AM

Calling ex Alverstoke kids. Where were we? 
This photo is of some Harpenden kids on holiday at Alverstoke. As I remember it was in the grounds of a large house near or next to a cross roads. If we came out of the gate and turned left we walked past a sea creek then after a distance came to the beach. I think that we passed the main Alverstoke branch on the way but I am not certain. Please where were we.
Roy

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Jan 5 10 1:44 PM

Hi Royl
Been trying to trace your steps as to where you were? Do you remember a largeTower (gilkicker Tower)  Anyhow check out www.nch-alverstoke.moonfruit.com and plough down to "find your house" and I have named the creek and crossroads on it. The building by the creek is Broderick Hall.    Its a path between the creek and the football pitch and a road running down the map past the tower(yellow star) to the cross roads - turn left at crossroad and past little church to the beach. The Tower was pulled down after 1965. Also check out "Places of interest" you will see a picture of Broderick Hall and the Tower. Delson might be able to help you on this.
Luv Val.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Jan 5 10 4:39 PM

The large house, which is still there, was called Stokehurst, and it was bought by the NCH from the Church of England in about 1947 as a collection/embarkation point for the unfortunate kids destined to be sent abroad to Canada and Australia. After the early 1950s, the NCH, to its credit, woke up to the error of this emigration programme, and called a halt. Thereafter,Stokehurst became part of the "normal" childrens home. It had several acres of splendid grounds, now, sadly, destroyed under a blight of post 1980s housing development, and it was in these that the summer camps were set up for children visiting from other NCH homes.

The bird's eye view below (courtesy of Google) shows the geography of the area today. The red line roughly marks the boundary of the old NCH Alverstoke home.

Delsons

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Jan 9 10 3:00 PM

me first on the left, bonfire night 1976. barry towers far right, sheila shaw second from right,john fanning 3rd from left. cant remember the other staff members name. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help