Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

Lead

Oct 9 09 9:58 PM

Tags : :

HIGHBURY
1925 Chief Office: 85 Highbury Park London N5 1UD
1930 70 Children. Stephenson Hall (Training College) 85 Highbury Park, London N5 1UD
Legard Family Centre, Legard Road, Highbury, London N5 1UD

The new address if you need to contact NCH/Action For Children is:

Action for Children
Business Admin Support Officer
Performance Improvement and Inclusion Division
3 The Boulevard
Ascot Road
Watford WD18 8AG
UK

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

#2 [url]

Oct 9 09 10:01 PM

NCH FILMS 1940's - 1970's

Various films were made by the NCH  in the 1940s to 1960s.
A few bits can be found on my sites at Youtube and Flicker.
Please visit from time to time, as when new films are found they will be added.
The Youtube site has longer versions, but at peak times they can be slow to load.

The Flickr site has some short bits, but it does have many NCH photos that there is no room for on this MSN site.

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#3 [url]

Oct 9 09 10:05 PM

1930's Harpenden, Highbury and Frodsham
Can any member help please.
--------------------

Hi my Father Raymond Henry Wilson was in the Harpenden Home, Highbury and Frodsham between the years of 1933 to 1938 he is 86 now is there any chance that somebody might remember him ? I would love to hear from you my Father remembers so much abut his times in these homes and I know he would appreciate it ! Regards hs daughter Lorraine.

Email of 291208

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#4 [url]

Oct 9 09 10:24 PM

List of NCH Homes
by Philip for everyone
List of NCH Homes.

Please let us know which home you were in and if you have some happy or sad thoughts to share.

London and Home Counties

CHIPPING NORTON Penhurst, Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire OX7 5LN

EALING Alexandra House, Queen's Walk, London W5 1TQ

ELMFIELD Ambrose Lane, Harpenden Hertfordshire

HARPENDEN Highfield, Highfield Oval, Harpenden Hertfordshire

SHERINGHAM Westcroft, Hooks Hill Road, Sheringham, Norrfolk South East

ALRESFORD Southdowns, Alresford, Hampshire

ALVERSTOKE Stokesmead, Clayhall Road, Alverstoke, Gosport, PO12 2BZ Hampshire

ELMSTEAD WOODS New Farningham House, Wood Drive, Chislehurst, Kent BR7 5EU

HILDENBOROUGH Bourne Place, Nizels Lane, Hildenborough, Tonbridge, Kent

HORSHAM Forest House, Winterpit Lane, Mannings Heath, Horsham, Sussex RH13 6LZ

LIMPSFIELD Pastens, Pastens Road, Oxted, Surrey RH8 0RD

ST. LEONARDS Malmesbury House, 125 West Hill Road, St. Leonards-on-Sea, Sussex

WOKING Ashwood, Ashwood Road, Woking, Surrey

South West

BRISTOL Holmwood, Passage Road, Bristol BS9 3HY

CARDIFF Clarendon, 16 Cyncoed Avenue, Cyncoed, Cardiff, Glamorgan CF2 6SU

DINAS POWIS Ardwyn, Dinas Powis, Glamorgan CF6 4HG

EBLEY Ebley House, 235 Westward Road, Ebley, Nr Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL5 4SY

PAINSWICK Gyde Home, Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire GL6 6RB

PENARTH Headlands School, Paget Place, Penarth, Glamorgan CF6 1YY

SEATON Ryalls Court, Seaton, Devon EX12 2HJ

SWANSEA Killay House, 365 Gower Road, Sketty, Swansea SA2 7AH Midlands

BIRMINGHAM Princess Alice Drive, New Oscott, Sutton Coldfield, Warwickshire

BOURNVILLE Bonner House, 172 Sellywood Road, Bournville, Birmingham B30 1TJ

BRACKLEY Evenley Hall, Brackley, Northamptoshire

EDGBASTON The Croft, 15 Sandon Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham B17 8DP

LADYWOOD Ladywood Family Centre, 2/4 Guild Close, Ledsam Street, Ladywood, Birmingham 16

LEAMINGTON SPA Longford, 1 Vicarage Road, Lillington, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire

NOTTINGHAM Springfield, Alexandra Park, Nottingham NG3 4JB

SELLY OAK Stephenson Court, 10 Tredington Close, Selly Oak, Birmingham B29 4NP

SUTTON COLDFIELD Watson House, 133 Birmingham Road, Sutton Coldfiield, Warwickshire

WOLVERHAMPTON Red Gables, 83 Compton Road, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire WV3 9QH

North West

BIRKDALE Harewood, 39 Oxford Road, Birkdale, Southport, Lancashire PR8 2EG

CONGLETON Danesford School, Congleton, Cheshire CW12 4EZ

EDGWORTH Crowthorn School, Broadhead Road, Turton, Nr. Bolton, Lancashire BL7 0JS

FRODSHAM Newton Hall, Frodsham, Nr. Warrington Lancashire WA6 6ST

MANCHESTER Morville House, 366 Wilbraham Road, Chorlton-cum-Hardy Manchester

MANCHESTER 21 Ogilvie House, 77 Alexandra Road South, Whalley Range, Manchester

RAMSEY Dalmeny, Ramsey, Isle of Man

ST. ANNES Elsmere, 200 St Annes Road East, Lytham St. Annes, Lancashire, FY8 3HT

SOUTHPORT Westdene, 39 Park Crescent, Southport, Lancashire

North East

BRAMHOPE Hilton Grange, Old Bramhope, Nr Leeds LS16 9HU

HARROGATE Fairfield, 132 Pannal Ash Road, Harrogate Yorkshire HG2 9JN

LINCOLN Steep Hill House, Steep Hill, Lincoln LN2 1LT

NEWCASTLE Stelling Hall, Nr. Newton, Stocksfield, Northumberland NE43 7UT

SCARBOROUGH May Lodge, 25-27 Filey Road, Scarborough, Yorkshire YO11 2TW

Scotland

GLASGOW Cathkin House, Rutherglen, Glasgow G73 5RD

PITLOCHRY The Archie Briggs House, Pitlochry, Perthshire, PH16 5JW

Overseas
JAMAICA Children's Home and Child Care Training Centre, Hope Gardens, St Andrew, Kingston Jamaica

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Dec 27 10 3:03 PM

hi phil, i was at southdowns old alresford from 80-85. i made many good friends & had some very good times. i went to the local school perins up until i got expelled at 14. in my time at southdowns i knew 3 of the superintendants, 2 of them were very hands on, especially the last one, i believe after my leaving the home, there was an investigation. i was contacted via the police several years later to make a statement, as everyone who was interviewed had put my name up, due to me having so many run ins with the certain member of staff. to my knowledge he was convicted for his abuse. i never persued it so i have no closure of the matter. besides that my time at southdowns was enjoyable, & still i have good memorys.  thanx paul bellamy.

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#6 [url]

Dec 27 10 7:14 PM

Paul,
Welcome to the group, you might find the odd Southdowns resident pops in from time to time, most I think are of an older age.
There are a few phottos on the theirhistory page.

See if you know any.

http://www.theirhistory.co.uk/70001/info.php?p=18&pno=0

and

http://www.theirhistory.co.uk/70001/info.php?p=9&pno=0

Philip

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

Dec 28 10 3:51 AM

Hi, Philip so great of you to start this website. I was in the Harpenden NCH under the dictatorship of JC Burn whom I detest for all the beatings I got from him. I was  there in 1970 for about 8 years and my memories are very painful. Burns was a very cruel man who took pleasure in calling the flat early evening and I would tremble at the table hoping he was not asking to see me in the admin block because it meant being hurt by him. My housemother was Sister Violet whom I know has passed probably some years back. I was in the choir ans also in a group Called sovereign Collection when I was about 14. The other 4 girls in the group were Susan burns daughter, caroline, vivienne Chrsitine.  I hope that not too many others were hurt by him and I am sorry he died before I could see him to tell him what hell he put me through. Sorry to sound so hateful but to think he did what he did and was not held responsible makes me angry,  My name then was Jackie Martin.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Mar 23 11 12:26 PM

Hallo,
i was in Swansea Killay house thankgod when i read about how bad it was in Harpenden....i was there with my brother Kevin Knott my nam eis Michelle....
i feel sorry for the people from Harpenden, i must say we had a good life where we were.

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#9 [url]

Mar 23 11 3:05 PM

Hi Michelle,

It would be a mistake to think that Harpenden was a bad place to be, it very much depended on who was in charge at the time.   Between 1949 and 1954 Mr Shutt was in charge and it seems that he was in the medium bracket as far as punishment goes.  Yes, if you did things wrong you got punished, otherwise it was a good place to be brought up. I think you would find more people with happy memories than those with bad ones.  I am sorry that Jackie was left with such bad feelings when so many had the opposite experience.

Roy

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#10 [url]

Mar 23 11 3:24 PM

There were plenty of good times at Harpenden in the 1960s, for a few of us, it was the not so happy times that we remember most. Some of the older Sisters could seem a bit strict, but underneath most had a heart of gold.
It was an odd period, some staff wanting to keep life as it had always been, and a few staff and plenty of children wanting to see what the 1960s had to offer, when POP (the music) started to be something for a modern generation.
Roycroft was the boss during most of that decade, he certainly brought in a few new ideas. Perhaps as we were such a large group (200 monsters) it was not like the smaller 30 or so of Killay House.

Philip.

Another of the Harpenden Glow in the Dark Children

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Nov 28 15 9:52 AM

Hi Phil, I lived at south downs with paul Bellamy can u please send my email address to him, or his details to me please, my email is angieford13@hotmail.com, I was called Angela Walsh when I lived there thank you

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Nov 28 15 9:55 AM

Hi Paul if u get this contact me ASAP as Stuart is up in court again, my email is angieford13@hotmail.com from Angela walsh

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help