Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

Lead

Oct 9 09 10:28 PM

Tags : :

HARPENDEN
1913-1985 HARPENDEN Highfield, Harpenden, Hertfordshire
1930: 291 Children. General branch for 200 children Largest of the Home’s branches, Harpenden also claims seniority as inheritor of the traditions of the original London branches at Church Street, Lambeth, and Bonner Road, Bethnal Green.
Building began in 1913 and large houses for children were set around an oval green dominated by three tall trees. School buildings were also provided and these have been converted into a fine community hall now that children go to the schools in the neighbourhood.
The houses proved very suitable for adaptation as flats for smaller groups and, although the number of children at Harpenden is large, everyone lives in a ‘family’ of eight or ten where individuals care can be provided.
The fine chapel at Harpenden was built through the generosity of the late Joseph Rank. The east and west windows were designed by Mr Frank Salisbury, but the windows in the transept were brought from the Bonner Road Chapel and commemorate Dr Stephenson and his wife. Within the grounds of Harpenden is the Home’s printing department, managed by Mr B W Beck, itself also a link with earlier days at Bonner Road.

For more photos see.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22326055@N06/sets/72157626752534172/

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

#4 [url]

Jan 5 10 9:30 AM

My day releases in the mid 1960s were not done with these forms.
My mother wrote to the gov/office, give the date she would take me out a few days before the visit.
Had I had to use these forms, my writing was so poor, they would never have understood the date I wanted or who I wanted to see.
Did anyone use these forms in the 1960s?

Philip

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#5 [url]

Jan 5 10 5:10 PM

The Passes in the early 50's were dependant on your Sister's opinion of the need. In Clifton we had to use them even to go down to the shops at the bottom of Hillside Road ( that was after sweets came off ration). In Ashcroft we only needed them if you were leaving the area of Harpenden village eg Snobs or London etc. This latter might also have been a concession as we were all older boys, early teens, in Ashcroft. And, Philip, Your writing couldn't have been much worse than that exhibited so you were pulling a flanker there!
Roy

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#8 [url]

Jan 8 10 11:04 PM

Hi Bert, Glad to see you back!
Maypoll? your on for this year's re union, I wonder if Shelagh or anyone else will join us? after all it does take at least 4 if I remember rightly! And the Programme? I could claim that I was that good a forger on the pc but it is genuine. There is an even earlier one for 1949 that I am hoping that that computer magician Philip is going to get on the site for me.
Roy

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#13 [url]

Jan 9 10 9:00 AM

To enlage images, if using older versions of Microsoft Explorer, click on image, then use the lower right tool to get to correct size.

If using Firefox, use the enlagment/reduction mode after clicking on the image (plus minus key)

Tip, for those who want to load pictures onto this site, load in JPEG format and keep files 30-50k

So lets have some more pictures please

Philip

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#14 [url]

Jan 9 10 10:10 AM

I see in the 1949 programme Sister Pearl was working with the Brownies. When I was at Highfield in the mid 1960s, I never realised she had such an active live all theose years ago.
Philip

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#16 [url]

Jan 9 10 6:17 PM

Philip, thanks for loading the programmes for me. Noting your comments above the following may surprise you. Somewhere earlier on the photo page is a picture of some Wakefield children with one pushing a younger one in a wheelbarrow. I was standing next to Sister Pearl when the photo was taken. They were going to rake over the sandpit in the middle of the Oval so that they could practice for Branch sports day. Sister Pearl actually demonstrated the hop-skip-jump (as it was called then ) herself and got a fair distance. The person pushing the barrow was Douglas Poulton and his brother Brian is on the left of the picture. Whereas I recognise the others as Sister Pearl's family I cant remember names, maybe someone else can help here. The picture was taken circa 1951-2.  Roy

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jan 10 10 12:54 AM

Hi Roy im liking your work fef; the programmes on looking more closer it was the maypole dancing.
       Had a look at the photo with the kids with the wheelbarrow i am not sure if they are all from Wakefield only i think the kid second left is Lawrence Macdonald and he was with sister Florence,alass the sandpit is no more or the oval trees,best regards Bertie B.

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#18 [url]

Jan 10 10 3:01 PM

I wonder if YWAM know they own a covered in sandpit, at our next reuion I wonder if they would like it reinstalled.
I think as Azu was in charge of the escape committee during his time, he will know where the shoveles etc are located.

Philip

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#19 [url]

Jan 10 10 4:53 PM

Thats the trouble with memories 50+ years old . You think you have it right but its normally the better half that puts me right. Thanks Bert.  By the way where do we put the zimmers whilst dancing? or for that matter re-excavating the escape route through the sandpit? Roy

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jan 11 10 12:47 AM

Hi Philip speaking of shovels if Azu knows where they have hidden them i could do with one right now too clear all the snow.i tried all the main DIY stores this weekend and not a shovel in sight.
 Roy i would only wish i had the enegy too dance the maypole that's if i could get my zimmer through the SNOW.
          Bertie B.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help