Tags : :
1913-1985 HARPENDEN Highfield, Harpenden, Hertfordshire
1930: 291 Children. General branch for 200 children Largest of the Home’s branches, Harpenden also claims seniority as inheritor of the traditions of the original London branches at Church Street, Lambeth, and Bonner Road, Bethnal Green.
Building began in 1913 and large houses for children were set around an oval green dominated by three tall trees. School buildings were also provided and these have been converted into a fine community hall now that children go to the schools in the neighbourhood.
The houses proved very suitable for adaptation as flats for smaller groups and, although the number of children at Harpenden is large, everyone lives in a ‘family’ of eight or ten where individuals care can be provided.
The fine chapel at Harpenden was built through the generosity of the late Joseph Rank. The east and west windows were designed by Mr Frank Salisbury, but the windows in the transept were brought from the Bonner Road Chapel and commemorate Dr Stephenson and his wife. Within the grounds of Harpenden is the Home’s printing department, managed by Mr B W Beck, itself also a link with earlier days at Bonner Road.
For more photos see.