Remove this ad

royl

fanatic

#101 [url]

Jan 22 12 2:22 AM

The firework display I remember ended up with the pavilion having one of it's regular flare ups.
The fire was set out on the football pitch on Lords and the fireworks were normally kept in a box placed in the goal mouth in theory protected from little boys who "just wanted to look at one"

On this occaision almost as soon as the first fireworks were let off a spark must have gone into the box intiating the most glorious and intensive ground level display ever seen.  The display, advertised to last 20 minutes was over in less than two and the crowd had disappeared even faster.  At this point all hungry boys would immediatley realise that the promised roast spuds were still in the fire. So we in a small gang made our way back only to be seen by Ted Shutt who was watching as the pavilion roof was slowly being eaten by flames, at the same time Messers Roberts, Howard and Haylor were trying to throw water from watering cans. "  You boys get out the way, go and fetch some buckets" yelled Ted.  Now that did not seam fair. If we left we would miss the best part of the pavilion burning up and someone else would find all those roast spuds so we hung about just out of sight of the adults but able to see the fire.  The next thing we saw was Ted coming our way and not looking too pleased to see us in the shadows. A bomb burst of boys occured causing a loss of resolve as each of us found ourselves alone and suddenly not all that hungry after all.
        The efforts of the staff saved the vast majority of the pavilion this time but the incident introduced fireworks from the top of the block, no fire and no roast spuds by the following year.

Roy

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#102 [url]

Feb 14 12 6:23 PM

Hi,

Where is the picture of Sister Joan I would to see it to show here, I still her as I was in her flat for about 10 years,she is coming up to her 93rd birthday in March 2012.

Michael Lashley

By the way,does anybody have any pictures of the Iceland we trip we went on, I do remember it was in one of the national papers,might of been the Daily Telgraph.

Quote    Reply   

#104 [url]

Feb 15 12 9:32 PM

Hi Mike,
 I went on the Iceland trip too, do you remember me or my brother Brian?
If you look at page 3 of this post there are extracts from 2 papers, posted kindly by Clive, about the trip to Iceland.
Regards,
 Bob

Quote    Reply   

dave

superstar

#105 [url]

Mar 9 12 10:38 PM

Hi Bob and Mike
 just wondering if you remember my sister, Sally, she went to Iceland too. You may know her as Mandy Price for some reason that has never really been explained the home insisted she would be called Mandy, her middle name was Amanda. She only started to be called Sally when we moved from flat 8 to flat 1 which must have confused the hell out of her.
Does anyone else recall being called by a name other than their own?
By this I mean officially not naughty ones by fellow inmates!

Having said that did anyone have a nickname used by mates etc?
I was known as Hucky by my parents as my mother was reading Huckleberry Finn when expecting me. Was often known as Pricey or Priceless by mates.

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#106 [url]

Mar 11 12 12:07 PM

Dave,
If Mandy/Amanda was renamed Sally when she moved into flat No.1 it possibly that Miss Foal (Sister Rosemary) then only needed to yell out one name when she wanted a chore done, as there was already a Sally in the flat. The first one to answer got the chore.
Life was fun.

On my entry to the NCH my original application was filled out by my mother as John, Philip as my first names, however when I actually entered the Home it had reverted as Philip as my first name, just a little odity.

I think the only nickname used in flat 1 was really for Noel Brown - as  "Noz Boz" as he was often called, or if we wanted to wind him up, using a then current advert on the TV of "Don't Say Brown Say Hovis" was changed to "Don't Sat Brown Say Hopeless", although he was very good at football.

Philip

Quote    Reply   

dave

superstar

#107 [url]

Mar 11 12 7:54 PM

You are partly right Philip, It was Sister Rosemary, to her credit, who insisted Sally should be referred to by her proper name . When I said it must have confused her I was meaning having her name changed on entering the home and used for 4 years then being reverted back to Sally as we moved into a different house. I just don't understand why her name was changed in the first place I am sure there was no other Sally in flat 8.

Quote    Reply   

#108 [url]

Mar 12 12 5:21 PM

This was a great trip, I was 12 at the time, I remember landing in a really bad snow storm. Hotel was great as well, and we went swiming outside and they had little pools outsdie heated up by the springs.

We also saw a geyser as well and of cousres the zoo and the play.

I was given a Viking ship as a present,long since lost. But I do remember a picture in one of the national papers,it would be good if somebody knew which one and maybe then get a copy.

Thanks again.

Michael Lashley

ex Flat 13

I still go to the Oval at least once a month.

By the way,does anybody have any pictures of the Iceland we trip we went on, I do remember it was in one of the national papers,might of been the Daily Telgraph.

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#109 [url]

Mar 18 12 5:38 PM

Sister Ethel Smith - Sisterhood badges.
The blue badge of when they entered the Sisterhood and the one at 21 years for Faithful Service (also known as the 21 Years Survivors Badge after all those years of looking after us)
The ordinary Sisters badges were not named, but the 21 years service badge was engraved on the reverse.
-
Thoughts of one of Sister Ethel's children.
Had the firmest, safest hand hold I have ever felt.
She called herself 'Tombstone Tessie' because of her very pronounced /shaped teeth.
She gave us a safe place in a dangerous world.
We were not well regarded by many people, making us feel like an ethnic minority, marked by our Home uniforms. Grey in Winter Khaki in summer. Horrible striped tie to let people know who we were.
I remember being bullied into admitting to stealing a cigarette lighter by the head of Roundwood Park School. What a 9 year old wanted with a lighter, I have yet to find out. I do think that we in Ferens House were proud to belong to it and Sister Ethel.
My negative thoughts and experiences at the home were only of bullying by other children, a lack of explanation for our condition and my ever absent Dad. It didn't do a lot for confidence.
We were special to Sister Ethel.
Laurie

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#110 [url]

Mar 18 12 9:12 PM

Sadly I cannot say I knew S' Ethel.  It is really good to see these badges again though I never realised they had a message on the inner lifebelt style device.   Can anyone make out, or do you know, what that message was.

Roy

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

royl

fanatic

#112 [url]

Mar 19 12 1:26 AM

Thanks Philip, It is noticable that the makers of the superior quality blue badge did not put their mark on it whilst the red badge does bare a maker's name.    When I think of S' Lottie's hat with her badge on it we regarded it as an untouchable object not that it was left at our tender mercys often.  Is my memory correct in thinking that S'Lottie wore her red badge on her coat but continued to wear a blue badge on her hat?

Roy

Quote    Reply   

#113 [url]

Mar 19 12 2:09 PM

Hi!
I remember Sister Ethel quite well, and liked her.  It seemed to me she smiled and laughed a lot, and yes, that meant we got to see a lot of her rather unusual buck teeth.  Kids notice such things, but don't mind.  Who she was as a person was what mattered.  I was next door, in Sister Cora's.  I think Ethel and Cora were good friends.
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

#115 [url]

Mar 23 12 1:03 PM

I only knew Sister Ethel from occasional conversations during my time at Harpenden, 1956-60. She was immensely kind, and it was a chance remark she threw at me, I thought a total stranger to her, one day that changed my view of what I could do with my life. I would have been about thirteen, gangly, awkward, and under-performing at Manland Secondary Modern. "You are a born leader," was not said disparagingly but sincerely. I became ambitious and single-minded from then on. Thanks, Sister Ethel! Les.

Quote    Reply   

#116 [url]

Mar 27 12 9:09 PM

Just read about the firework display. At the NCH Sheringham Norfolk in the year 1965 or 1966 we had just started out display when a stray rocket went into the tea chest holding the rest of the fireworks (some wag had left the lid off) adults and children hit the dirt as fireworks went every where.
It was so funny at the time but a evenings fun was over in an instance.
No one ever knew who left that lid off.

Does anyone remember the Zenonos family at all. They where with Sister Phyllis. Mary Tony & Christine. About 1967 +. Moved from the above as the home was closing.

Lesley Solway (Sheringham NCH Norfolk)

Quote    Reply   

#117 [url]

Apr 9 12 9:36 PM

Hiya
I joined the site in the hope that someone will remeber my mam.
She worked for the nhs during the late 50's and early 60's
She was at Harpenden and st leonards.
Her name was sister Pauline Threadkell.
I'd love to be able to tell that there are people on this site who do remeber her.
Thanks
Yvette

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#118 [url]

Apr 9 12 10:20 PM

Hi Yvette,
                 Welcome to this forum. Can you give just a little more info. please.  Was your mother a nursing Sister with the NHS at the time she was at Harpenden or was she an ordained Sister within the The National Childrens Home? If the latter was true the name or number of the flat she was in would help.

Roy

Quote    Reply   

clive

superstar

#120 [url]

Apr 10 12 8:42 AM

Dear Yvette,

Welcome to the site.

Sister Pauline Threadkell entered the NCH Sisterhood in 1961.  Do you know which year she left NCH?

Best wishes,

Clive 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help