Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Apr 23 10 7:32 PM

Hi there David and a very warm welcome too the site my name is Bert Baldwin i came to the Harpenden NCH in 1946 at the age of five along with my brother Fred and Sister Shirley my brother and i were placed in Clifton and my sister was placed in Ferens which as you say was over the other side of the oval we did not see much of her at first and if we did it was on a Sunday at the home Chapel, like you i dont realey remember that much in the first too years apart from the fact that it was a lot better too what i had before, i can relate too most of what you experienced the egg colecting i think most of the lads were into that and like you i am ashamed too admit that now. regarding the home hymn there is a misery down Ambrose lane i think every kid knew that in those days i would put it on par with the bread and dripping as refired too  scrape in the song having said that i for one loved it especially the bits of brown jelly, any way David things did get much better in every way i myself only have happy memories, i am sure if you have the time too read through all the messages on the site, i am sure somthing will come too mind which may lead too somthing els.
                      Anyway David wedo have someone on the site from Vancover who you may be able to contact his name is Colin Drumcres,
                  Some of the old Boys & girls have set up a reunion each year at Harpenden and this year it is on the 10th of July its possible that someone might remember you and your sister.
                   anyway it is great too hear from you keep in touch, best regards Bertie B.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Apr 23 10 7:46 PM

Hi Jeff thanks for the message it sounds like it going too be a great day,
       Are you in touch with Micky Ings only i have sent him emails but have had no replys i was just wondering if all is ok or has he changed his email address, any way i hope this message finds you all well, best regards Bertie B.

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Apr 24 10 12:10 AM

Hello Bert.

It was good to hear from someone of my vintage (late 40's). Where do you live now?  Although I am Canadian, I came back to England in the 50's. We lived in a small village in West Sussex ( Fittleworth ) and I went to Midhurst Grammar School where I took my GCE's.

I will try to contact Colin Drumcres in Vancouver - it's only a short ferry ride from Victoria.

Cheers.

David

D.M. Morris

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#24 [url]

Apr 24 10 12:19 AM

Hi David, Just to save you a problem, Colin whose site name is 'Drumcree' ( Bertie had a little finger trouble with this) is away on holiday at this time I believe. He certainly is not answering e-mails at the moment and the last message I had from him (10 March) suggested that his wife was going on a long holiday to Europe and that he was getting away from it all in a cabin somewhere. If I remember rightly they live in White Rock to the south of Vancouver. Roy

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Apr 26 10 12:11 PM

Hi there Brian your name rings a bell but i feel you were much younger than i the name is Bertie Baldwin and i was in OGB with sister Marjory Young, i went too the village school and then on too BICKFORD HILL in Batford which was even further, and remember getting the broken biscuits from the bakers shop just before we got to school,but cannot remember much about the school,i can relate too most of the activities you got up too,and yes we all would sit round the Radio and liston too jouney into space,happy days, i remember all the Owen family,and Mick &Jeanette Ings.
                 Anyway it would be great too meet up with you if you can make the Harpenden reunion on the 10th of July it looks like it could be a good day. Oh and welcome too the site i hope this message finds you well, keep in touch best regards Bertie B.

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Apr 26 10 1:06 PM

Hi David it would seem that i got Colins surname wrong,so i am not sure what it is mybe Roy can enlighten us,
              I am living in Luton which is in the county of Bedfordshire and only 5 miles up the road from Harpenden, i married a local girl Yvonne we have 3 kids, two Boys and a girl and now have 3 Grand Daughters i am now retired and loving it,my eldist Grand Daughter has a horse so i help out with taking her backward and foreward too the stables and shows so i am kept pretty busy.
                   Any way i hope that you manage too make contact with Colin in the meatime take care and keep in touch, best regards Bertie B.

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#27 [url]

Apr 26 10 5:23 PM

Hi Bertie and David,    Wasn't meant to be rude Bertie just trying to save David wasted effort with a slight mis-spelling in Colin's site name/avatar which is Drumcree. Colin's surname is Lewis but as I indicated earlier he does not respond at this time. It is possible that he is still on holiday, after all they are retired or he might be suffering a pc malfunction.  I was going to give it a few more days then try to raise him by snail mail. Roy

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Apr 26 10 7:27 PM

Hi Jeffrey
             Brian here, thanks for your reply I am overwelmed by the website and interest people are
             showing  we are booked into cardiff tickets and hotel for the Speedway grand prix on the
              10th the only day i cannot make the reunion  you wait fifty years i am gutted
              I wonder how much we have all changed  I enjoy reading all the letters and the memories
              it evokes  Take care my friend 
                                                            Bri 45

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Apr 26 10 7:57 PM

Hi bertie b
              Brian Maguire here nice to hear from you I am really sorry i cannot make the reunion
              last Aug we booked hotel,   tickets etc for cardiff speedway grand prix 
              I never in a million years thought people would still keep in touch let alone have a
             reunion  Glad you remember journey into space etc I have just turned 65 and i was
             in Wakefield house about 1950-1955  I suppose we are all knocking on bit now so
             we should all keep in touch   I am sure our paths must have crossed some time
                           Look after yourself   
                                                        Bri45 

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Apr 26 10 8:00 PM

Hi Roy thank you for that bit of infoe Lewis you say now that name ring a bell if my memory serves me right there were too brothers in Clifton i think one was called John but i am not sure, and his brother who was somewhat younger name eludes altogether but i am sure they name was Lewis and i believe the older one went to ST Albans grammer School.i wonder if there is some connection there,anyway i hope you are well and cannot wait to meet up on the 10th of July.
                 Best regards Bertie B.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#32 [url]

Apr 26 10 8:24 PM

Hi shelage
                many thanks for your reply,   I feel we must have seen each other at harpenden
                at some stage mabe at sunday school or swings and slide etc
                 I cannot make the reunion  we booked a weekend away back in aug last year
                 The 10th is the only day we could not make  I did think about driving up on sat
                morning  then back to Cardiff in the afternoon but it such long drive 
                 It would have lovely to have seen you all  Have we changed much i wonder
                                            take care 
                                                          brian

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Apr 26 10 10:19 PM

Hi,I am Cassandra,known as Sandra in my days at Highfield.My brother Harry Singleton and me arrived at Highfield,and were turned over to Sister Pearl's care.She was running the Lodge at the time.I don't know how long we stayed there,but eventually we moved over to Wakefield.I went to Highfield at around 11958-9,not too sure!I remember Peter Bush very well Anne had a photo of him in one of her albums.In Fat 1 There was David Butler who married Julia Morrison.Tommy,Maurice Noel Brown(I was going to marry him.We would have had lovely babies)me,my brother Harry Julia Payne,Linda Webber,Sister Pearls Mum used to come and visit and though I loved her,she used to rub my head so vigorously when she got me out of the bath,I ended up with a headache,I pined for my father many nights whent to the NCH.But the day I was told I had to leave,it broke my heart.I adored Anne and the life I had at the home.The day I left,Anne and I had the biggest hug,and she said to me'Don't leave me!'I will never forget that for as long as I live.I left at the age of 12,just as was beginning to have a fab social life.at 16,I decided I was going to track Anne down,but by then she had retired.I managed to find her,she was workin as a volanteer at the cottage hospital(still at it,she could never stop)We stayed in touch and became firm friends from that day on.I somehow,always felt comfortable and secuere around her.I always expected her to live for ever.Wenever Ivisited her in Plymouth and she was going to church,she would always open her purse and give me money for the collection,just as she did all those years ago when I was in her care.They say,the good die young,not so in Anne.She was God's gift to us.there is not a day goes by when I don't think about her and love her.

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Apr 26 10 10:42 PM

Yes,indeed it is .How woderful.I don't think I ever met Anne's dad,but,of course,his pictures wre always around the house,which,as you must know, Mr Roycroft refered to as Pearl's Palace.

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#36 [url]

Apr 26 10 10:52 PM

I think Mr Roycroft was a little afraid of Anne, he seemed to let her run her flat as she thought best, the other flats he was always visiting to sort out problems. Anne's flat never had problems that needed sorting out. She had such a wonderfull way of getting you to do chores and the like without too many orders, you just did what was asked of you.
As a girl - you possibly didn't get to have much fun with the bumper. She could spot dust at twenty paces.

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Apr 26 10 11:03 PM

You are joking,of course!!! I had great fun with the bumper!Or,In fact,we all did.Anne made our chores(well, some of them anyway)seem like fun.That's how she managed to get the best out of us.Anyway,she did have problems.One of them was Harry Singleton,and the other was Julia Payne,HA!!!

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#38 [url]

Apr 26 10 11:37 PM

Sandy,
I remember the tea time when Anne announced to all of us, that she was going to retire and leave us.
The trainee that had been with us, would now become our houseparent. It was so sudden, we all thought she would just stay and be with us forever. As children we never knew or realised her age, I had thought of her as an old lady, but she had not actually reached retirement age, that was two years ahead.
Once it had sunk in, it was difficult to realy understand for most of the group that she was leaving us for good. I had only been with her for just over a year, for the others it had been for most of their lives.
That night there was many bouts of crying from the three older boys, it was something I could not really understand, having so many adults come and go, I did not understant the affection and bond that had been made up between Sister and the others in the family group.
Looking back on it, I'm sorry to say that in my mind, I was actually looking forward to the new Houseparent taking charge, as she seemed so much more relaxed than Anne in the way of running the flat, and on the days that Anne had taken off and was away from the flat, we had seemed to have more treats. It was a short lived thought. As soon as Anne left, we all found the true nature of our New Houseparent, I think all of us were reduced to tears, and if given the chance would have begged for Anne to return.
Anne cut more or less all contact with our family group, so the Houseparent had full control, and it gave no possible way of making contact, and telling her how the flat was now run.

As a group, we did once visit her at her retirement flat, but I think other than an Open Day, that was about the last we saw of her.
We all missed her.
It was many years later when visting Highfield, that I found out that she was still alive. The NCH office at the Oval made it possible for me to visit her in Harpenden that day.
After all those years she had not really changed. Out came the photo album, I was told the history of the older children that she had looked after. It seemed I was the first of the last batch other than Linda, that had made contact.
Over the next few years I stayed in contact, and like yourself visited her in Plymouth. I was very sad to hear the news of her illness and due to prior commitments was unable to attend her service. But she is a lady that will remain in our hearts and minds forever.
One of the true Sisters of the NCH, who gave her life for us.

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Apr 27 10 1:01 PM

Hi All,
That's my sister (Nancy) in the middle row, second from the right.  She always had the greatest respect for Sister Pearl whose care she was in at OGB for a few years.  So amazing to me, to see this picture--and I plan to do the Harpenden "pilgrimage" for her as well as for me!  :-)
Best to all,
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Apr 27 10 3:13 PM

Hello judy,
                           i am sure your brother jeff has got me mixed up with somebody else
                            when he said i hit him in the mouth, i am the most mild mannered
                           person going. How are you keeping, i know you are all looking forward
                           to the 10th judging by all the letters on the web, lucky you.
                           my wife and i are thinking of going down to harpenden before the reunion
                           and having a walk round highfield, it will not be the same as the 10th,
                           but it will still make me swallow hard. Is it not strange what great feelings
                                           harpenden still holds for us all after all these years              
                                              look after yourself 
                                                                          brian maguire                      

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help