Remove this ad

#81 [url]

Dec 5 12 7:02 PM

Lucy,On our side of the door was a heavy blanket curtain, I don't know if it was meant to hide the sound of us to your flat or yours to ours.This was the fire door, although it seemed to have been locked (from your side), a good shove and it would have opened.We were under pain of death from Sister Pearl not to go near to the door, even when Sister Rosemary (Miss Foal) took over before we all moved downstairs, the door area was to be kept away from.On very odd occasions Sister Pearl went next door, I think it was to quieten you lot down.At the age of eight, I was once told to take something to your Sister, I was in total fear when I went through the door. I did not really know what other flats were really like, although we all played outside together, Sister Pearl normally banned us from going into any of the other 20 flats and those children were banned from entering our domain.Were our flats different?Philip 1965-1968

-philip

Putting the fear of death or God is a strange thing coming from the Sister's. I wonder if they were trained or told to seperate each flat and not have any communication with the other children?
Gavin

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

#82 [url]

Dec 5 12 8:22 PM

Gavin,
In Sister Pearl's flat, I think it was more of keeping her flat in perfect condition, for not having children from other flats that might not respect the neat condition she wanted her flat to remain in.
In a way for us not having friends in was a good idea for us, there was not the chance they would bring any dirt in, accidentally spill the paints we were using or create any extra chores for us.
"Pearl's Palace" was going to stay that way, we did get the odd Sister visit our flat, but I think in the main, most of the adults in Highfield decided that Flat 1 Wakefield, was not for general visiting.
It was her flat and she was going to run it her way.
Her rules never did us any harm, and did teach us if a boundary was set, we were not to cross it.
After all, none of the other children in their flats were as well behaved as we were, in the grounds however it was another matter.

Philip.

PS
The order of our fear was
God, death and Roycroft in that order

Quote    Reply   

#83 [url]

Dec 5 12 11:05 PM

HI Gavin and others,
I'm curious--was there a fire door in all of the houses?  I don't remember one in Ferens (or Mrs. Ferens) when they were houses--or flats.  It could have been there of course--so well disguised I wouldn't have noticed it, or as some of you say, the fear of God was put in us for even thinking of trying to go through it!
Anyone know how the other houses were?  True enough, we didn't visit other houses much, if at all.
I remember being invited to tea at Lea House because my sister was there.
And Bert B reminded me I was invited to tea at his house once, although alas, I have no memory of that.  Was I allowed in, even?  And was it completely traumatising that only boys were there at that time?! :-)
Funny things, eh?
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#84 [url]

Dec 6 12 3:10 AM

Hi Lucy,
                       Thanks for the reply.   I know what you mean about the age thing, it must be the latest epidemic 'cos quite a lot of us have caught it!!

Roy

Quote    Reply   

#85 [url]

Dec 6 12 11:17 AM

Phillip,
          sorry have to disagree with you as to who was best behaved,  It had to be
          the children in the bottom flat of Wakefield house 1950-1956.
          Polishing the floors with rags tied to our feet polishing shoes washing up
          we never ever moaned we were the best honest??????
                                         BRI45

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#86 [url]

Dec 6 12 12:51 PM

Bri,
Yes I will allow you to claim the 1950s award, but for the 1960s, them noisy lot downstairs used to play Chopsticks on the Piano after I had gone to bed, it was never completed correctly even after several goes. I almost went down to remove some wire.

Philip

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#87 [url]

Dec 6 12 1:45 PM

Well Phillip and Bri

I shall have to concede to your goodness, as I have never professed to be the best behaved on any occasion, sadly we didn't have a piano or any other kind of musical instrument, or I'm sure we would have tormented you endlessly.
I would like to think we were the best behaved in our flat, but can remember far too many nights spent on a camp bed in the utility room (for bad behaviour) to ever be able to claim that particular crown.
Lucy

Quote    Reply   

#88 [url]

Dec 6 12 5:55 PM

Shelagh,
I quite agree with you as we did not have a fire door at Mrs Ferrens upstairs and we did not keep company with the house next door. We did had relations with Sister Joan Mrs. Ferrens downstairs and her family as I had been brought up by Sister Joan and Sister Daisy when they were together at Wakefield house. One of the rare babies to go in at 18 months so was brainwashed at any early age. I do remember when Highfield was separated from girls and boys and being marched to church in all weathers, gabardines, willies and all.
The fear of God, clutching your bible to your chest of the fear of death before entering the chapel. My head jumps when I hear the old hymns playing on the TV, BBC Songs of Praise, people are amazed as I know many of the songs by heart, stupid memories. You would like that Shelagh

I think they have built fire escapes at the back of the buildings today, for todays fire regulations. We did not need a fire escape in those days as we would climb down the drain pipe, easy. When we did that the Sisters would get mad, a laugh a day.

Gavin

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#89 [url]

Dec 6 12 10:38 PM

Lucy,
I really would have been badly behaved if the punishment had been to sleep on my own in the utility room.
The pleasure of a nights sleep without chattering, moaning, groaning, flying slippers across the room, ordered by the older boys to turn the light on, turn the light off etc.
I even would have offered to climb up into the small roof space above the flat if it had been offered.
As they said in my reports "Philip - A Strange Child".
-------------
Philip

Quote    Reply   

#90 [url]

Dec 6 12 11:04 PM

Phillip

Funny so would I.....now, but at the time I was badly scared of the dark and all the bedrooms were at the opposite end of the flat, only the helpers bedroom was at the back of the flat and she was a bit scary too.
Lucy

Quote    Reply   

#91 [url]

May 8 13 6:07 PM

Hi Alison,
              I remember your dad Terry Steggall; I sometimes parked my car in the layby outside Walker house when Terry was visiting Sister Ena and remember chatting with him when he came out to ride his 'bike. Although I didn't know him as well as some people at Highfield due to an age difference of about seven years he was very likeable. Telling by the amount of bikers who turned up at Highfield Oval for his funeral he was hugely popular in the biking world.
              I sincerely hope that you are now coming to terms with what happened. Should you feel up to reading the local news report about Terry, The Harpenden Free Press and/or The Herts Advertiser should be able to help. Terry knew me as Lawrence Macdonald  from Sister Florence's family in Barlow House.
              Best Wishes,
                                Mac.

Quote    Reply   

#92 [url]

Apr 18 14 9:15 AM

Flat 8 Highfield Oval 1971 - 1974

My Nam is Ola and I lived in flat 8 Highfield Oval between 1971 and 1974. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help