Remove this ad

Lead

Dec 20 09 10:46 PM

Tags : :

Hi All, 

I am trying to trace my childhood records but cannot find any information on the home, I have looked on here and seen a Olgilieve hoouse and wondered if it is the same home as used to be called Camberon House, I was only little when I left but I am sure this is what it was called...

Any info on this would be really helful so I know where to start with my trace

thanks Dave

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Dec 18 10 1:04 AM

Reply to: Does anyone remember a childrens home in Whalley Range Manchester called Camberon House

I know of a home that was in Whalley Range in the early 70's.It was called Burford.It was in Clarendon Road.Whalley Range.Manchester.It was then a Remand Center/Assessment Center for Girls only.I cannot find any info about the place at all.I have been looking for this place for a while as I was a resident there in 1974/75 for a while.I have no history on Burford so dont really know if perhaps it was a childrens home before hand.There was a scandal in the news surrounding the place and it was closed down a few years after I left. I hope this is of use to You.I know its a wee bit late,but I've not long joined this forum.Christine.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Apr 7 11 5:55 PM

I was in a home in Whalley range too for a short while but don't know it's name. It was in the mid 1950s. I too would love to know more about it as I'm writing my life story for my family. Hope someone can help.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 23 12 10:25 AM

yeh their was a home name camberon house one of my family was in their and i was in burford house i will try and get hold of my family member and if you are still looking se if she as any info for you..

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

May 28 13 11:16 PM

YE I WAS IN THEIR IT WAS CALLED BURFORD THEN BACK IN THE 70S I WENT IN AROUND 73
WASNT A NICE PLACE TO BE IN I REMEMBER BIG FAT LADY WITH ONE CROOKED EYE N ALWAYS KNITTING I LEFT AROUND 76 THEN MOVED TO LIVERPOOL FROM THERE I BELIEVE ITS A START SURE NOW FOR INFANTS IF ANYONE HAS ANY PHOTOS OFF BURFORD PLZ SEND THEM OVER TO ME 

Quote    Reply   

clive

superstar

#9 [url]

Jun 1 13 8:24 AM

Camberon House was not a Branch of the NCH.  The NCH Manchester Branches were at:-

Morville House, 366 Wilbraham Road, Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Manchester 21 and at
Ogilvie House, 77 Alexandra Road South, Whalley Range, Manchester. 

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Oct 19 14 1:57 AM

re burford

hi jackiemozz456 i was in burford but 5 years later in 1978 also and like yourself was then moved to liverpool to another girls lock up called st christophers in great crosy before them i was in woodlands childrens home on carlton road in whalley range

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Feb 20 15 1:18 PM

cambrian house

hi i used to live at cambrian house wood road whalley range in the 80's and in woodlands which was on carlton road also whalley range ...... if you need anymore information i would be only to happy to help if i can :)

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Nov 2 15 4:14 PM

BURFORD.

Hi all, it seems that having thought about Burford recently, and coming across these posts, what I have may help the folks who are looking for information. My mother worked as a remand officer at Burford between the end of 1971 to 1973 (I was about 13 at the time). Her name was Marlene Jordan. The governors name was McNabb, but right now I cannot recall his first name. I lived in the staff housing with mum at the time and was attending school at some college close by. I would be glad to help anyone with questions about the place, and maybe more can be rememberd by me with those questions. I do recall that I served sunday mass a few times inside the facility as a courtesy. Good luck to all, and kindest regards.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jan 28 16 12:33 PM

I remember

Hi 
I was there for a short while in 1973/74 ish , it was called Burford House then .
I remember the knitting lady too, she used to sit at a table knitting in the dining room, she used to quote " just remember you have'nt gone yet".
Queuing up for clean knickers and socks every morning.
Some lovely staff one in particular who I often think about, I know her name but will not put on here .
This lady was quite tall and slim , I would say in her mid to late 40's short fair hair ( she was working with a broken neck at some point and was wearing a collar ).
I remember quite a lot about this place , some pleasant and some not so .
Met some fantastic girls too and became quite close but ended when each person moved on .

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Mar 16 16 4:30 AM

Burford house Whalley range

Do you remember what the scandal.was was about. I was here in the early 70's myself and have lots of bad memories about the place

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Mar 16 16 4:36 AM

Burford house Whalley range

I think l remember you. I was in Burford twice in the early 70's. Do u know anything about the scandal that closed the place down

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jun 30 16 10:38 PM

Hiya. It isn't Camberon House, it's Cambrian House.

I went to Burford in about 1977, and was in and out over the next 4 years. 
Granny Grumbridge taught us cooking, always fish and chips on a friday, and occasionally we'd get rollerskates in the gym. 

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jun 30 16 10:39 PM

Hiya. it wasn't Camberon House, it was Cambrian House. HOpe this helps. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help