Remove this ad

#181 [url]

Mar 3 11 11:31 AM

Hi does anyone remember my dad Michael John Young he went in roughly 1946 to 1959, he was in Barton House. Please get intouch if you have any momories thanks from Heidi Young x

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#182 [url]

Mar 5 11 10:22 AM

Hi Philip if you find the film THE TRUST OF A CHILD (1959) (37 min.): b&w. if its possibel
and legel i would be more then willing to pay for a copy.
                                                                                         thanks   Roger James

R C James

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#184 [url]

Mar 7 11 10:05 AM

Hi Jennifer,  Hope you had a good birthday yesterday.  There is a keen frost here in Harrogate this morning, just as I was getting into the swing of gardening (3 sessions so far).  The Stray in Harrogate looks a picture at the moment, bordered by carpets of crocus & all the spring bulbs are sprouting through. Sister Edith was a keen gardener & I always used to help her weed the strip at the end of No. 1 & 2 yard, also the garden between No. 2 & 3.
Loved the photos of you as a little one, you look so cute.
love Di

Quote    Reply   

#185 [url]

Mar 7 11 10:34 AM

Good morning Di,
Admit it !   I have a face like a wet weekend in most of my young photos, and there hasn't been much improvement as I've got older !    ...........   I've never forgotten the stray, and if ever I'd been away from Harrogate, the first thing I looked for when I returned, was the pretty coloured lights on all the trees.  I bet it looks beautiful with all the spring flowers   ........  The garden has always been a top priority in my life, and although I'm not particularly keen on all the hard work entailed in landscaping, the finished result has always given me lots of pleasure.  ( Hate to boast, but can't help it - we once won first prize in the open garden weekend in our village in the UK ).  Gardening is very difficult here in this part of France, because of the extremes in temperature which means things are frozen at night, then baked in the sun by day.  But we persevere.

You've certainly supplied your fair share of good photos too, Di.  We all have.  Including Roger and Malcolm.  We've all made our contribution and enjoyed seeing these little vignettes from the past.
Much love,
Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#186 [url]

Mar 8 11 9:50 PM

Hi Jennifer, If I'd won first prize in an open garden weekend, I would certainly be boasting.  You would be too young to remember the wonderful garden parties we used to have at Fairfield, open to the general public.  We had tombola, cake stalls, throwing balls at skittles, etc. etc. & races, but they stopped probably in the early 50s.  Audrey King has an album which she has promised to give me after she has had her operation, so hopefully there will be more photos to look at.  Audrey was on the photo which Roger supplied with you, Brenda Fox, Roger & the donkey. 
love Di   

Quote    Reply   

#187 [url]

Mar 8 11 10:33 PM

Di,
I have just a sneaking memory of a brass band marching up and down the front field, so perhaps that might have been a garden party ?  Or maybe it was something else.   Looking forward to seeing those new photos though !
Love, Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#188 [url]

Mar 10 11 10:06 AM

The gardeners.
Lots of us will remember George Armstrong who was an old boy who came back and joined the staff as a gardener cum handyman. I'm pretty sure he had been brought up in No.2 by Sister Edith who he often called "Mother". I know there have already been mentions of him and fond ones at that and I know Di will have known him after his retirement.All the little girls were his "favourite" or his "Girl friend" and he was never short of a line or two for the ladies. His sister was Cecelia and she married David Turner and they lived at Pannal Ash. Some of you will remember their two daughters too.
George married later in life and his wife was one of the Daniels family who had the farm next door and delivered our milk. They set up home on Pannal Ash Road down towards Otley Road.
George had a colleague working in the gardens called Charlie Dennison - does anyone remember him? He was short in stature ( a bit like me!) and compared to George he was a quiet unassuming person.They worked mainly from the gardens behind the houses next to the sleeper track. Charlie didn't to my knowledge, drive the tractor or cut the grass on the playing fields.
Several people helped with the grass cutting including Pop Roycroft and in my last year when I was 17 years old, I was allowed to drive the tractor and cut the grass which I thought was a fantastic treat.
How many hundreds if not thousands of hours did we spend playing on and around the field. Hours of football,rounders,cricket,swings, indoors when it rained in the "Shed". Happy days.
David Green

Quote    Reply   

#189 [url]

Mar 10 11 10:14 AM

Here is the aerial view which was taken by a John Simmons. I can't recall how I came by it but it was obviously cropped for the frontispeice on the thanksgiving programme for the closure ceremony in 1984. That meant that only the Principal's house and no1 to no 4 houses were shown.
The only building I don't recognise is between what was Frank Wray's house and the community hall. Was that a sick bay?
David Green

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#190 [url]

Mar 10 11 11:03 AM

Hi Jennifer

PAUL GRAINGE

What did Paul Grainge look like? - I find the name strongly familiar.

Henry

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#191 [url]

Mar 10 11 12:22 PM

Yes David,
The new sick bay was situated between the community hall and Mr Wray's house.  The ward windows overlooked the cinder track, so when we were in bed we could wave at people going by.
Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#192 [url]

Mar 10 11 12:39 PM

Hello Henry
Paul Grainge was in number eight with sister Doris, but I think he was quite a bit younger than you.  You'll find him as a little boy in  'HARROGATE  PHOTOS'  -  the first photo on page 17  -  Back row, fourth from left in a school photo  .........  You'll find him again when he was a bit older in  ' NCH  PANNAL ASH ROAD' -  page two -  the second photo down  - standing second on the right between Raymond Crisp and Malcolm Tomlinson. 
Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#194 [url]

Mar 11 11 9:11 PM

Hi Daved i dont know wether you remember me I was in no 3 with sister Ann, I mite be after your time in fairfield, i do remember you from the reunions and you sayed in your caravan. i do like the Aerial photo of fairfield, Please could i have a copy originel size if you can will you be coming to the reunion.
Cheers Roger

R C James

Quote    Reply   

#195 [url]

Mar 11 11 11:24 PM

Hi Roger
I was 1942 - 1954 but yes I remember coming to reunions with the caravan and my 3 boys. They loved coming and from the moment we unhitched they just ran off to play with the boys.
If you send me your email address to davidgreentwin@aol.com I'll email you a copy of the aerial picture.
Yes I certainly intend to be at the Harrogate reunion on 10th September.
Kind regards
David

Quote    Reply   

#196 [url]

Mar 23 11 4:53 PM

Some more Harrogate memories.

Does anybody remember Ruby Jacques? She lived in Robert Street,Harrogate with her mother and they ran a lodging house for actors and actresses. Ruby was very friendly with Mrs Roycroft and she came up to Fairfield on a regular basis and taught us square dancing, old time dancing and ballroom dancing. I seem to recall that she also sang with us in the choir.
When I returned to live in Pannal 1976 - 1980 I met up with her again and she became very fond of my three boys.

I also remember a Mr Taylor who I think was a bachelor. He worked for Yorkshire Electricity. During school holidays he would take us off in his large car for the day when he was on his business calls and liked to make a fuss of us like having a meal in a cafe which for us was a real treat. He would come up to Fairfield on a Sunday evening for the service.

Some of us will also remember the Annual Fete or Open Day when a very large marquee would be erected on the field. People would come by coach from Methodist churches around Yorkshire and it was also supported by quite a lot of Harrogate residents.

The organisation would take up a lot of time leading up to these days but they were obviously important for fund raising and also public relations.

I distinctly recall learning to do the Sailors Hornpipe and dancing it on stage dressed in a navy uniform.

Another event which I recall in fact possibly one of my oldest recollections is the Opening Ceremony of Ashfield which was a baby unit on Whinney Lane. The Princess Royal came from Harwood House to "Cut the ribbon" and Rex Wray, Frank's son played his bugle. The music such as Pomp & Circumstance etc left a strong impression on me.

A lady would often come to these events and take official photographs on behalf of Highbury HQ. I have one or two examples where they were taken by a Miss Johnson and other examples by John R Simmons. I have enquired in the past when talking to senior staff at HQ but they do not know of a photographic archive but there must have been many hundreds of pictures taken over the years.

David Green

Quote    Reply   

#197 [url]

Apr 10 11 2:22 PM

This is a rather belated response, since I've only just discovered this site.  

My connection is that I'm the son of former Wheatlands teacher Ken Trelfer.  He left Wheatlands in 1959 and took a teaching post in Essex, moving from there to Hebburn on Tyneside in the eighties.  He took early retirement and went to live in Catterick.  He died in 2003 at the age of 82.  His wife Vera, my mother, was a teacher at Oatlands Mount Primary School, later headmistress at Glasshouses School, near Pateley Bridge.  She died in 2007.

Rosa Henderson was a keen cricketer. She and my father - with me in the back seat! - used to go rallying in her Hillman Minx in the late Fifties.  She died about ten years ago.  Bill Greenaway was indeed the Wooden Horse p-o-w.  

Many teachers at that time would have served in the forces during WW2; my father had been a bomber pilot in the RAF.  When he left the RAF in 1947/8, he underwent emergency training as a teacher.  His first teaching post was at Western School.

I remember football and cricket at Wheatlands.  As a 5 -7 year old, I would often accompany my father to school matches on Saturday mornings when he was refereeing/umpiring.

Quote    Reply   

#198 [url]

Apr 10 11 3:29 PM

Hello KJT,
What a nice post. I was a pupil of Mr Trelfer's for my four years at Wheatlands. We had a mixed relationship, both friendly though. He was my math teacher, I was terrible at math, so we had our 'spats', but he had a great sense of humor. On the other had he was our sports teacher and I excelled at sport, cricket, football, long distance running and hurdles, so we got on really well and I was somewhat of a favorite with him. If it was raining hard we had to stay in the Gym and dance with the girls (something I realised I enjoyed in my last year)!. But we would pestered him to go outside and kick the ball, so much so that he and Miss Henderson would yell at us to go with, "Dont blame us if you get pnumonia"!. He was one of the teachers that showed no bias against Kids from the Childrens Home, I liked him for that as others were not so obliging.
What year did he go to Wheatlands?, I went to Weston Primary too, but dont remember him there. I note he left Wheatlands the same year I did, perhaps he thought ,whats the point !
Amazing what we didn't know, ie, he was a bomber pilot!, in those fifties years they were revered by small boys. I hope he enjoyed his retirement and left you many happy memories .
Thanks for your post
Malcolm Tomlinson

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#200 [url]

Apr 12 11 1:21 PM

Hi KJT,  I also remember your father.  Mostly from Wheatlands, but I also have a vague recollection of him at Western along with Mr Reynolds & Miss Lister (who wore a wig).  Although I can't remember ever being taught by him, I agree with Malcolm,  your father  was always nice to us 'Home Kids', with a smile & cheery word to us.  Lovely to hear from you.
Regards Di

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help