Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

#41 [url]

Dec 18 10 3:47 PM

David,
Try working on this method, if it fails, please let me know at which part the problem was. (It might be that you did not hit submit see last part of the guide.)
Philip
----------------
to add a photo etc
Click on the logo at the bottom LEFT of this box  (UPLOAD FILES) (after you have typed the title of you photo in this message box.
A location box will then appear, you should have the photo in Photoshop etc or some other part of your computer as a picture (possibly with the title "Alanphoto.jpeg"  etc
Once located click upload, the counter should reach 99%, and finally give a message like

• Attachment: 3832802787_f3d70855fd_o.jpg REMOVE
  • Dont click the item REMOVE.

Go across to the little box on the lower RIGHT and click that (Submit reply) your photo should then upload.
    One tip if you upload a photo, try to keep it in the 50k to 500k size, anything larger than that might be too big to display.
    Good luck.
    Philip.

Note If you are using Firefox with the auto display turned off The Upload Files button will at first show as the Firefox arrow, you will neeed to click that first before the Upload file button shows.

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   
    Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Dec 19 10 4:51 AM

Hello  'Fairfielders'
    At last we are are getting more and more ex Harrogate 'Kids', it's taken a while though.
    I'm really enjoying the input.
    Okay, how many of you remember where we were issued with new shoes and who handed them out?. Us older folks like David, Steven, Terry, Norma, Cecilia, and jennifer should know this, there are no prizes !!.  I'm not sure if this method continued to the branch's closing, perhaps the younger folks didn't do it
     Merry Christmas to all
    Malcolm

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

Dec 19 10 12:46 PM

Hi Malcolm Yes i remember getting new shoes always from Mr Wray, when i was first at Harrogate the shoes were kept on the floor above the chapel then later moved to the old house by Wellfield (name escapes me ) but good quality shoes.

Regards Terry

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Dec 20 10 11:03 AM

In May 2010 Stephen Green was attending the British Barbershop Convention in Harrogate with his wife Jackie. I arranged to stay in Harrogate with my wife Janet and we got in touch with Di (nee Webster) and Lewis Ward and we arranged to meet up at their house. We called and collected Audrey King (nee Porter) who joined us. After a very warm greeting at Di's house the doorbell rang and in came Paul Manser all the way from London on the train. Di had told him we were meeting up and he arrived unexpectedly to join us. Di put on a lovely spread and Lewis dispensed the liquid refreshments. We had a smashing time and may repeat it in 2011. I'm sure old Fairfieldonians from our era will enjoy the picture I am uploading. This is my first successful attempt with a picture and thanks go to Philip for guidance to this Yorkshire fool who couldn't seem to work it out for himself!! Regards to all. David Green in frozen Yorkshire.

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Dec 20 10 11:39 AM

Hi Phillip thanks for your help with uploading. I see that my photo comes up as a hyperlink which you have to click to bring up the picture. Is this because of it's file size? David G

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#47 [url]

Dec 20 10 1:10 PM

David,
    Go back into the change Avatar, and select the photo file on your computer - it should be saved as a JPEG file, then click open, it then should load up, if the file is too large only part of the image will show, if it is, go back into your computer and reduce it in size, it took me a couple of goes to get it right.
    So keep trying.

Philip

Try to keep the photo around 3x4 in format

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Dec 20 10 5:30 PM

Hi David,
    Now thats a picture !. Instant recall on you and Steven and Paul Manser hasn't changed a bit, What a great feeling that reunion must have  given all of you. I think I mentioned that I found Brian Crisp from our great site and went to visit him and his wife and daughter when I was in the UK in September
    Well done and I hope there's more pic's?
    Cheers
    Malcolm

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Dec 20 10 5:37 PM

Hi Terry,
    you win the No prize. I dont remember the over the chapel location, but the house near Wellfield, Yes, small room, all crammed in,  was it a wing of Wellfield itself or was it a seperate unused house?,Mr Wray keeping order in his gentle way, a real gent that one. I was his barrow boy at fourteen, taking the boxes of groceries to each house, remember the store behind Pop Roycrofts house?, I nearly killed so many kids and a few Sisters the way I ran with the empty barrow back to the stores.
    all the best
    Malcolm

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Dec 20 10 6:14 PM

Hi Malcolm No it was not a part of Wellfield the house had been empty for a long time before being used for shoes.  I seem to recall some talk years ago that Mr Wray was going to live there once he retired but i now know that did,nt happen.  Do you remember the old place next to Wellfield where we had our woodwork class with Mr Wray, When I first came to Fairfield that place was the nursery and where i spent many days until starting primary school at  Western.

Best Wishes  Terry

Quote    Reply   
    Remove this ad

#53 [url]

Dec 20 10 7:57 PM

Hi Terry,
    I can just recall the woodwork shop but I think by the time it was safe for me to handle a saw or a chisel it had closed, shame that, cos' my first job was as an apprentice carpenter.
    I think we all went to Western road primary didn't we. Remember George Armstrong walking us down there in twos and him giving his whisker pie if we stepped out of line?, how come he didn't walk us home at 4pm. I think it was a case of,'Make sure they get there and let them find there own way back'. Boy the mischief we got upto then!, no vandalism though!.
    cheers
    Malcolm

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Dec 20 10 8:08 PM

Hi Malcolm I do indeed remember Mr Sutton and as for Gilly  what can i say he was very hard handed to some of us from nch but so were many of the other teachers to,I do indeed remember Sue the pig (she was big),and cooking the pig food what a smell. We used to have our sports days at Wheatlands as well.

Best Wishes    Terry

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Dec 20 10 9:33 PM

Philip - I seem to have cracked it now and I started a new topic for Harrogate Photographs as I have quite a few more. Just give me time to devote to it. Must take a break now though. David

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Dec 21 10 7:43 AM

Hello Malcolm,
    Yes, I remember getting new shoes from that little house next to Wellfield.  Before I started school I would spend a lot of time in the company of Mr Wray and Mr Armstrong who would look after me when the sisters were busy. I must have been about two at the time. There was a workshop at the back of the shed next to the chapel, where I would spend many happy hours 'helping'  George Armstrong who would have me sitting on his knee whilst he mowed the front field on the tractor.  

In later years, the new sick bay was built next to the community hall.  But I remember when I had my annual bout of tonsilitis,  being taken to the sick bay that was situated at the back of the office block, next to the stores.  Did anyone else spend time in that sick bay ?  Am I right in thinking it was sister Florence who acted as nurse ? I hate to ask, but did anyone else get bed bugs ?  And does anyone else remember Miss Downing, who used to be the office secretary ?

And speaking of shoes  -  I've never forgotten being sent on regular trips to Mr Oakley, who had his little cobblers business in the corner, at the end of the cinder track near Harlow Hill.  Does anyone else remember his shop ?  He'd sit in the window surrounded by all his clutter, mending shoes,  and I think he sold a few items of footwear too.

Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Dec 21 10 1:52 PM

Malcolm,
    Re the group photo of the chaps in front of the chapel  -  am I right in thinking the second on the right is Paul Grainger ?  If so, he used to live at number eight,  and he once got a fish hook stuck in his thumb  -  Happy days!  
    Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Dec 21 10 2:12 PM

Malcolm,
    I went to Wheatlands too, and I was once sent to Mr Gill for punishment because of drawing pictures in my note book during music lesson.  He was really angry, and asked if my parents knew how I was wasting my time.  I couldn't answer that one, and didn't want to embarrass him, so I didn't reply.  However, he persisted all to no avail, and he eventually asked for my address.  When it finally dawned on him that I came from Fairfield, he apologised profusely   ......  I remember to this day, the incredulous look on the music teacher's face,  when she asked me what my punishment was to be   ......  " He gave me another book, miss,  and told me to draw in it as much as I liked."
    Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#59 [url]

Dec 21 10 2:44 PM

Malcolm,
    at last I've found those photos again  - I've spent ages looking for them and came across them quite by accident just now.   In the one dated 3rd November, I think you must be the one in the middle front, with Victor Wright behind you on the right, and Peter Ashurst to your left  -  After Peter left, I think he was an apprentice gamekeeper at Harewood Hall      .........    I wonder what happened to everyone else.  I know Graham Kirby,  re photo 8th November,  bottom left, died many years ago.
    Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Dec 21 10 2:50 PM

Cecilia,
    I lived at number seven in the early fifties too  -  I was a baby then, but I think I remember somebody called Stuart.  I have vague memories of him being stung, or bitten on the face.  Am I right ?
    Jennifer

Quote    Reply   
    Remove this ad
    Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help