Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

Lead

Oct 3 10 7:31 PM

Tags : :

Some more photos of Frodsham, can be found at.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22326055@N06/sets/72157615522111083/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this email is still in action. How is it going?

We have a Facebook Group for Newton Hall. I wanted to alert you to the absolutely amazing photos that have appeared on there.

Please feel free to join and look.

On another note, could you post this on the Info pages of Their History Website, please?

Hello Newton Hallers

The group Newton Hall is on Facebook and is welcome for Old Boys and Girls of Newton Hall. There ar 76 members, who are quite active, and lots and lots of great photos and lots of information.

Please follow this link and see you there.

Regards
Derek 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

clive

superstar

#1 [url]

Apr 27 11 4:03 PM

FRODSHAM

Newton Hall, Frodsham, Nr. Warrington WA6 6ST

Mr N Walker 

General branch for 145 children.

Nursery for 12 children.

Branch for 12 children with special needs.

Founded in 1903, Frodsham is a large community with chapel, lecture hall, administration block and family houses.  Most children go out to school, but some whose progress has been retarded by lack of ability or emotional handicaps can attend a remedial class on the premises.  There is also a nursery school for the youngest members of the family and for a number of children from the neighbourhood.  Across the road, Firbank House receives a number of children with special needs who are cared for by a skilled staff with psychiatric supervision.

Situated within convenient reach of the large conurbations of and Merseyside, the branch has a wide range of facilities which are readily adaptable to varying needs.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Apr 27 11 7:02 PM

Hi Clive, your access to information is very good.....can you shed any info on the May Lodge branch in Scarborough?
 Be very interesting for me if you can...
Thanks

John

Quote    Reply   

clive

superstar

#3 [url]

Apr 28 11 12:33 PM

May Lodge, 25-27 Filey Road, , YO11 2TW

Mr and Mrs D T Graham

General branch for 20 children

The branch, opened in 1966 and replacing the former branch, is a large house close to the town and to the beach.  The house has been adapted, a recreation room has been added and a garden provides space for play.  There is excellent liaison with schools and churches in and good support is received from the whole community.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Apr 28 11 12:53 PM

Thank You Clive, very much appreciated, i was there with 3 of my sisters, so if my maths is correct, we occupied a fifth, lol...i hope my files will be here soon, i dont know of others who have received their files, but just a small question, did your files contain any photographs?...i would like to think that mine did.
 If it doesnt, can i request them(assuming im on some of them)?. Given the privacy situation im not sure on this one.
 Any help is appreciated.

Thanks again Clive

John

Quote    Reply   

clive

superstar

#6 [url]

Apr 28 11 3:29 PM

28 April 2011

Dear John,

Thanks for your messages.

There is no guarantee that your personal child care file will contain photographs, but if they do - then great – that will be an added bonus.  You could write to Action for Children  requesting copies of any photographs that they or the University of Liverpool (where NCH archives are held) might have of the children, staff and buildings at NCH May Lodge Scarborough. 

Mr and Mrs E F Stephenson left the Scarborough Branch in March 1969 and Mr and Mrs D T Graham were appointed Houseparent’s-in-charge of May Lodge with their son and daughter, Ian and Lesley.

Best wishes,

Clive

Quote    Reply   

clive

superstar

#7 [url]

Apr 28 11 4:13 PM

Dear John,

I thought this article below might be of interest.

Best wishes,

Clive

SCARBOROUGH CELEBRATES!

FAMILY NEWS from the National Children’s Home

July 1969

May Lodge have good cause to remember Centenary Year.  Our Committee sent us in a minibus to the Royal Albert Hall to join in the April Celebrations.  Only one of the children had ever been to London before so a ‘mini-tour’ was essential, including tea at a Corner House.  (‘Fancy having lemon with fish and chips!’)  On arrival at the Hall, we displayed our banner and had our photograph taken!  Inside the Hall we felt a lump in our throats as we watched the early days of the Home; we shouted for the team of our choice in the Five-a-Side Football competition; we were thrilled to see the Principal with arms outstretched to receive a little child and were then swept with everyone else into the singing of the hymn ‘Now thank we all our God’.  With what warmth we waved to the Duchess of Gloucester as she said goodbye at the end.  Staying overnight at Harpenden and the final drive home completed a never-to-be-forgotten memory.  ‘May we go to the   Centenary again next year?’ asked one of the group.

Many 2 was the occasion for two celebrations.  Our children had already met those from Harrogate when we visited them for the heat of the Five-a-Side Football match and in May we were able to return their hospitality.  The children were to form a choir for the Scarborough Service of Thanksgiving which was held at Queen Street Central Hall.  When we arrived at the church we were impressed to see the distinguished company who had come to give thanks for the 100 years’ service by the Home.  There were civic representatives, Methodists from Circuit and District, friends from Highbury, and the Church of England Children’s Society sent their General Secretary, the Rev R C M Beeny, our preacher.  Lessons were read by Anne Ingle, a senior girl from May Lodge and D T Graham.  Mr Beeny reminded us of the great team of people engaged in the work of NCH right from the beginning and that we are still going forward into new fields of child care.  A happy sequel to the service was a telephone call received next day from the Deputy Mayor and Mayoress who had been given an iced cake on the occasion of the Co-operative Bakers’ Centenary Conference.  What better way could be found than to share it with our children?

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

May 28 11 2:41 AM

i was at newton hall, i dont go on facebook tho,me (martyn) and my younger brother edward boston were there from 1961 through till mid 70 s, we lived at fairways under sister Mavis, cheers martyn

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

May 29 11 5:54 PM

hi Philip i sent a couple of those into your from the last group we were on, i think it was an MSN group but i lost the url in a comp crash, no probs with any pics,cheers martyn

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

#12 [url]

Jul 14 11 10:47 PM

Email sent in to theirhistory 14.07.11. If any one can help, I will pass a message on.
--------------------------
My Mother, Margaret Nelson, was a residence in Frodsham Children’s home between 1943 and 1949.
She resided in either D block or D house, she doesn’t recall the exact reference.
Sister Louise was in charge of the block.
She would like to hear from anyone in Frodsham during this time
Many thanks
Zarina Houssin (for Margaret Nelson)

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#13 [url]

Jul 16 11 12:16 PM

Hi I'm Malcolm Salmon I was only at Frodsham but  for a short time 1945 - 6 when I moved to Harrogate to be with my sister .I don't remember much about the home I was 5 at the time but if I recall correctly the houses where around a big field and we used to have cartoons in a big hut ,and we went to Sheringham on the train and I  remember the staff getting us chanting "going to the sea and soon be there" to the rhythm  of the wheels ,one thing puzzles why did we go all the way across country when there was Blackpool nearby .Only other thing I remember was I left my penny whistle be hind when I went to Harrogate ,  I was really upset as I think it was one of the first thing to call my own , if anyone has got it can  have it back please .  regards to all  Malc Salmon                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                bb

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#15 [url]

Jul 16 11 2:04 PM

HI Philip ,don't really remember much as I said I was only 5 but the Photo is vaguely familiar one thing I do remember at Newton Hall was that I was a bed wetter ,and there response was a cold bath before going to bed and having to stand naked at the top of the stairs while the overs went to bed,what good the sister thought this would do I don't know .At Harrogate NO COLD Baths and sister Anne would get me up to go to the toilet when she went to bed .

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Apr 12 12 9:37 PM

i am crying seeing this place. It brings back so many memories.  I was in the house on the left of the church as you look at it on the ground floor.  When I first went I was in the nursery.  My brother and I were in there during the mid 70's - early 80's.

Quote    Reply   

dave

superstar

#18 [url]

Apr 13 12 7:45 PM

Hi Zeta,
Welcome to the site.
I can empathise with you regarding your emotions.
When I walked into the grounds of Highfield to attend our first reunion, the first time in over 30 years, my emotions ran riot for sometime. I really could not describe in words how I felt. I have attended every reunion since and still feel a little emotional as I enter the grounds.

Best wishes
Dave

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#20 [url]

Nov 25 12 3:02 PM

Posted from theirhistory.

Dear all.
Please find attached a picture of Sister Marjorie (Dorothy Shields) to add to your list of those sisters who served with the NCH&O.
Sister Marjorie was at the Newton Hall home from about 1945 to the late 1960`s.and was Sister in charge at No 8 Windrush,
(formerly Annie Walker House) for all of those years. She then took up another post at the Harpenden Home.
She was a strict person but always fair and,to me at least,she was the only `mother` I ever had. I remember her with utmost
fondness even now,some 50yrs after leaving the `homes` She was well respected by all of the staff and I want her hard work
and dedication to be recognized by her inclusion on your site.
Also attached: Picture of the Windrush family taken in 1958 with Sister Marjorie (myself in the group 1st on left at the back)
                        Picture of myself aged 7yrs.
Many thanks.
Yours. Michael John Jones.

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help