Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Dec 31 10 2:52 PM

This picture must have been taken after I had left Harrogate perhaps circa 1958. I can name a few.
Front from left Dorothy Downing   ?    ?   Sister Edith,Celia Turner with Susan and Deborah at her feet, ??
Behind From left,   ?     peter Peachman,  Diane Webster, David Manser ,  Mary Ilett,  ?   ?   ?   ?  Paul Manser and Reggie Hill. 

David Green

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#43 [url]

Jan 1 11 11:24 AM

This picture was taken in 1955 by Miss Wilson on behalf of Harpenden.
The fence is the one which was between the "sleepers" and the vegetable garden which George Armstrong and Charlie Dennison tended.
I left Fairfield in the previous year but can't recognise any of the five youngsters. I suspect the boys are all brothers and the two to the right are twins ?
What strikes me is that they all look genuinely happy which reflects my memories of life in Fairfield. The house is not recognisable specifically as 5/6 or 3/4 or 1/2 but I recall climbing those drainpipes several times to recover a ball which had stuck in the gutter when we were ball-playing.
David Green

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Jan 1 11 11:48 AM

A fascinating record showing an architects drawing of what one can presume was the planned new Primitive Methodist Orphanage for Harrogate. The Architects are from Manchester and the two portraits are of J.Hewitson,General Treasurer and John F.Porter General Secretary.
The right hand house on the front looks similar to the one which we all remember. 
The first three properties on the left look to be an accurate picture of houses 1 to 6. Where the nexdt ones are became the site for the Wardens house as occupied by Mr and Mrs Frank Wray and their son Rex. There is no chapel shown and Nos. 7 and 8 were built at 90 degrees to the ones drawn at the top with none of the others ever built. 
If the full plan had been followed I calculate there would have been 24 houses with 12 children in each making a total of 288 children!!!
Additionally there would then have been much less space for the wonderful recreation space we all enjoyed.
David Green

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Jan 1 11 12:02 PM

An interesting newspaper cutting but I'm sure more could have been written about the windows' significance in the lives of hundreds if not thousands of children prior to the closure of Fairfield in the 1980's.
I am hoping to find time this new year to put an article together using accurately researched information about the life of Fairfield.
David Green

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Jan 1 11 12:49 PM

As I was due to leave Fairfield in 1953, Pop Roycroft decided to show how he discussed things with leavers; I had been given a new suit, raincoat & suitcase..... I suspect the paper is the Job Offer I'd received from a childrens outfitter in Portland St London; This job didn't materialise as the owner was taken ill and I had to find myself work which of course I did in getting an apprenticeship in Gainsborough with a sweet wrapping firm Rose Bros.
We were at  the bench opposite no's 3&4

Steve

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#48 [url]

Jan 1 11 1:52 PM

It's nice to see 'Pop' as a younger man, he must have been great to know then, I wish I had managed to get to know him more in the mid 1960's just before he retired.
In 1965 I found he had a sense of (unusual) humour when he punished several of us whilst watched by others from further away, he made the hits he gave us look severe, where in reality they were really light.

Philip

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Jan 1 11 3:20 PM

Steve  -  Re the group photo at Harrogate, 30th December   -   Susan & Deborah Turner are the two little girls sitting cross-legged at the front.  Mr Turner is standing on the far right,  and I think it's Mrs Turner sitting second on right.  My grandmother used to stay in their house in the village when she came to visit me from London, so I knew the family very well. 
Jennifer 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Jan 1 11 3:28 PM

David  -  In the choir photo, Dorothy Silk is the tallest girl at the back.  Marie Denston is at the front left.  Norma   ( one of our members ) will certainly know Dorothy, as she is her sister.
Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Jan 1 11 8:58 PM

Dear Steve,many thanks for the great fotos you keep putting on ,i'm Norma Silk Dorohys sister ,Ileft Harrogate in 1960 but Dorothy stayed a few years later as you remember we left the home when we left school I dont remember you either but love to read your letters and see your fotos keep it up ,Happy new year .   Norma Silk

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Jan 2 11 12:55 PM

Just another harrogate choir picture.
Let me tell you what I got out of being a choir boy....

When my voice broke in about 49/50, my brother David & I were removed from all singing except for the Wesley church annual shows produced by the very talented K Vaughan Jones.
However 35 years later I joined a barbershop chorus in Saffron Walden and settled in the baritone section, Later (1998) I joined the Cambridge chorus and have been privileged  to win 3 UK Gold medals, & 2 Silver, 2 European Gold & 1 Silver and Choir of the World LLangollen 2004.
Still going strong, rehearing weekly and competing annually. Visit www.cambridgechordcompany.co.uk to see what we get up to.My son Stephen (now 38) sings too and has a british quartet Gold & 2 Silvers...

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Jan 2 11 3:27 PM

Well done, Stephen !   I've always been envious of those who could express themselves through singing and music.  I know HOW to sing, after all those years of practice in the choir.  But having a good voice is a gift.  I sound like a corncrake when I open my mouth.
Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Jan 2 11 3:38 PM

Hello Clive
I just spotted your very nice message. I have enjoyed uploading the photographs and haven't quite finished yet.
I also intend to write at more length about Mr & Mrs Roycroft who were both very significant influences on my childhood.Most of my postings have been under the heading HARROGATE PICTURES. I must confess I am not really sure where to post my messages if they do not include pictures.I think I have to stick to NCH Pannal Ash Road.
All the best to you and yours for 2011.
David Green
1942-1954

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Jan 4 11 10:01 AM

FRANK WRAY who was the Warden and lived in the small house situated between the Community Hall and House No. 6. with his wife and their son Rex. He had been called up during the war and temporarily replaced by a conscientious objector called Mr Cooper. He was not such a nice person and I clearly remember us being in dread of him as he was known to have taken boys down into the boiler house between the chapel and community hall and caned them.He was in post when we arrived in 1942 but presumably in 1945 Mr Wray and family returned thank goodness.
Frank was a true gentleman at all times. He took a full part in everyday life and I suspect that like other staff members worked much much more than a 40 hour week. Some of us will remember that he taught woodwork in a hut situated in Wellfield orchard. More notably he walked the crocodile of children down to Cold Bath Road to The Western County Modern School and back again in the afternoons.That had to be done in all weathers too.
I can also remember him organising cricket matches and acting as umpire and football matches when he umpired. What dedication. I suggest he was largely an unsung hero because he was rarely the centre of attention and indeed never sought to be so but deserved and OBE or MBE more than some of the so-called celebrities who are given them nowadays.
I did manage to visit Mr & Mrs Wray once or twice in their retirement when they lived down near Harrogate town centre.
I expect that any Old Fairfieldonians will find this article interesting and it will stir up similar fond memories.
David Green

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Jan 4 11 10:31 AM

Yes David, I remember dear Mr Ray, and spent much time accompanying him around the grounds of Fairfield before I started school   .......    What you say about MBEs  & OBEs  exactly reflects my own sentiments.  But sadly, people seem to have different values nowadays.  Wealth and fame is everything,  whilst heros like Mr Wray are overlooked.
Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#59 [url]

Jan 4 11 1:51 PM

Hi David and Jennifer,
It is not too late for Mr Ray to get an award of some kind provided he is still alive. Posthumous awards are a little different.  The easiest route to starting the proces is to write to your MP.  You will need to put into the letter specific events and reasons as well as generalities, without specific events/reasons you sadly dont stand a chance. It can be difficult to list such detail but it is suprising just how small a thing will trip the balance. Did Mr Wray belong to an outside church or club? They can be very supportive and provide more detail at times. Do not be put off by what appears to be an unimportant position held, many a tea lady/ street cleaner has been rewarded just for being pleasant and helpful. I hope that this you will pursue this and it helps you get the just rewards for yet another who cared.  Heres wishing you the best of luck and every success.

Roy

Quote    Reply   

clive

superstar

#60 [url]

Jan 4 11 8:50 PM

Dear David,

Thanks for your kind message.

Congratulations on all the photographs and comments that you have contributed to this site.  Well done.  I just hope other Old Boys and Girls especially at the large NCH Branches like Princess Alice, Sutton Coldfield and at lother locations will make similar contributions. 

Please make your postings under any appropriate heading.  

Best wishes for a Happy, Healthy New Year,

Clive
NCH Swansea = 1959 to 1972

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help