Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

Lead

Jan 15 11 9:21 AM

Tags : :

Please use this page to put your general memories down, if each member titles up their own message section, they can add to it as they please, if possible, othere members should keep their main memories on their own page, but adding a few thoughts onto another members page might help in the final grouping of the memories.

Philip

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

dianaw

superstar

#2 [url]

Feb 9 11 3:14 PM

Who remembers playing rounders on the field?  Usually it would start off with 2 or 3 kids going round the Branch chanting "Who's up for rounders", until a large crowd had gathered.  Then there was all the squabbles as to who was in which team & when all this was sorted out, we'd be called in for bed! 
Cheers Di

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 14 11 6:12 PM

Hello Di,
I remember the Rounders on the field. It was always in the elbow of the drive, but so was the football and you rounders lot were always in the way!. I can recall many a yelling match about territorial rights and now I smile because the field was huge!. It was the need for at least two apple trees that caused it, bearing in mind that they were one of our goals, the other goal being jumpers or even shirts forced off kids like Bernie Morgan, Pete Ashurst etc. As you said, the game went on until someone from your house yelled, "Tommo, 'Ster says you hafta come in, Now", or it got dark, and it seems to me it sometimes didn't get dark until 10.30 or am I dreamin' again?
Take Care
Malc

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Feb 23 11 9:40 PM

Does anyone remember a boy called Kenneth Bell. I think he was in Number 6. I have had a picture of him for so many years and I could never remember his suname until this very minute. We were at a reunion and Kenneth was a young boy still at Fairfield I remember him being quite timid and I think he liked me to look out for him. Paul Grange has seen the pic, if you reads this Paul do you remember him. Perhaps I may be getting a bit mixed up as if I was at the reunion I must have been a few years older than Kenneth.

Does anyone remember the horrid Mr Wormleaton.1!!!

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Mar 7 11 11:08 PM

I remember when the girls at Wheatlands did cookery classes and we would wait for them to bring home the things they had made we would wait on the way home and would beg to be able to try some and we scoffed most of the food before they could bring it home...

Shel

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Mar 17 11 1:58 PM

Does anyone remember collecting silver paper from the houses on Pannal Ash Road, for a charity? We used to get sweets from the people who gave. Was I the only one who used to eat the sweets and throw the paper away,and tell Sister Anne there was no-one in or they woudn't give? I was such a BAD girl! Also whilst I'm down memory lane...did Marks and Spencers give us out of date cakes on a Saturday night? ...you could get single willy woodbines for a few pence from the shop in Harlow Hill [and he never told!] Ah! my misspent youth!
Sue

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Mar 17 11 6:46 PM

don't remember M&S left over cakes but do remember Ken the driver for Jacksons(think thats right) he used to leave us cakes & buns. Had forgotten about it till Sue jogged my memory. Used to sit by main gate waiting for him to drive in. Does jenni remember? we used to collect silver paper & milk bottle tops but no idea why!!
 s

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Mar 17 11 9:28 PM

Hey D,
I don't know if this is part of the same memory, but I know we used to jump on the tail gate at the back of the baker's van and ask if there were any 'stale' cakes.  What cheeky monkeys !  I think we used to collect  the silver milk bottle tops for the blind, although goodness knows what benefit they had.  I know they used to pong a bit after they'd been saved up for a while.

Oh those long summer days when we used to have to go to bed when it was still light.  My bed was in a corner by the window, so I used to prop the curtain open to read my Enid Blyton.  Dorothy might recall that I got so involved with the Secret Seven that I imagined myself to be one of them and told Porkies about my adventures.  Everyone soon found me out, when they read the stories for themselves.
J
X

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#9 [url]

Mar 17 11 10:04 PM

Dorothy,
You might have rembered the cakes better with the words St Michael, up to the 1970s, the goods were branded up as St Michael.
At Harpenden we got the same deal, ona Saturday, one of the small vans used to go down to Luton late Saturday afternoon, on its return the 21 Sisters or Houseparents used to go an meet the van and make a selection of the goods that were remaindered.
Often one of us would be taken to help carry the goodies back, as well as cakes, there was often crisps, sweets and other items.
My favourites were Cheese & onion crisps and jelliy babies that had a fine sugar coating rather than icing sugar. Two items that came back that the rest of the family did not like or even want to try were Real ground coffee and cheese cake.
These Saturdays were a real treat.

Philip

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#10 [url]

Mar 17 11 10:36 PM

In my era it was Walls (past sell bys, only it wasn't called that then) we used to get Walls sausages & sometimes on a Wednesdays Walls ice cream what a treat that was.  Cakes were always Sister's baking, she used the Be-ro recipe book.  Melting Moments, Coffee Kisses, Flapjack & her famous cheese scones which I've mentioned previously. When we had run out of bread she used to make Jordie bread, which was like a milk loaf without yeast & only lasted a day.  We had an assortment of cakes for tea on a Sunday & certain people (which shall be nameless) used to lick their finger & bags the best, ha ha. If we had been issued with the punishment of bread & butter tea on Sunday, even if it was only Monday, you can bet your life it would not be forgotten, no matter how much you had tried to creep round the rest of the week.

Jennifer, My bed was in a corner by the back window & I read all the Enid Blyton famous five books.  Isn't it amazing how similar we all were regardless of the different eras or Branches.
love Di  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Mar 18 11 7:20 AM

Di,
I still have the battered and greasy Be-ro recipe book that sister Flora gave me on my wedding day.  She also used to do all the baking for the family, and I've never quite been able to match her currant cake, which had a lovely crisp brown crust.

My bed was the back left hand corner. I think those of us who were at the home for most of our childhood will always have that certain something about us which we recognise in others.  Like members of one big family.

Love, Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Mar 18 11 12:39 PM

Memories of Harpenden.
                                       Buying one penny worth of broken Biscuits in the town.Hunting for
                                       slow worms behind Wakefield house. The walk to school in the
                                       villiage  Walking down hill to the cemetry standing on the fence
                                       watching the trains go by. Going to the railway behind Wakefield
                                       house putting our ear on the line to see if a train was coming then
                                       dashing up to bridge so we could smell the smoke as it went under
                                       Being fitted with brand new sandals for the summer such bliss.
                                       Told we were going to a field to get some potatoes to help the
                                        farmer so some of us got there early and for half hour we were
                                        digging by hand hard work I can you  Then the farmer turns up
                                         laughs and proceeds to use his Plough lesson learnt.
                                         Such lovely memories of my years at Harpenden
                                          One never forgets even after 50 odd years
                                          Take care everyone
                                                                      BRI45

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Mar 18 11 2:30 PM

Hi Di and Jennifer, I used to sneak into the inside toilet [only place with a light on at night] and read Tom Sawyer.{Sister Anne used to insist on leaving the toilet window open and I vividly remember all the bugs and flies in there Ugh!. I must have read it and re-read it half a dozen times, whilst dodging the insects.I also loved the What Katy did series, remember those? Sister Anne used to take me to Harrogate library ,as I was and still am, an avid reader. I remember always choosing Orlando the marmalade cat series by Kathllen Hale. Happy times
Sue x

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Mar 18 11 2:41 PM

Happy memories of sneaky reading!! Am still as bad now once I get my nose into a good book. loved all the Famous Five. Secret Seven, What Katy Did ,Mallory Towers & Abbey Girls series. Now it's Lee Child(Jack Reacher) series & Dan Brown are a real favourite with myself & family(grown up!) Not such great memories of trying to study & finish homework under the covers by torch light though!!

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Mar 18 11 2:45 PM

yes jen i remember your flights of fancy!! But you could always tell a great story! You certainly havn't lost the knack. I love reading your 'memoirs' Long may they continue!! xxx

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Mar 18 11 3:48 PM

Hi Jen!
Your post reminded me of those long summer nights when we had to go to bed while it was still daylight!  How I hated that--I wanted so much to be outside!  I used to lie awake and listen to the sounds--bird songs, people talking, maybe someone mowing their lawn in the near neighborhood.  The world still bustling with life, for heavens sake!   Don't remember reading in bed, but chances are I did that too, since I loved books--Enid Blyton's, and others that you mention.

The big thrill for me in the spring was when it was light enough to go outside after tea!  That was incredibly magical!  Some of us played with balls up against the wall outside the kitchen at Ferens, or went out on skates or something.  Then of course, it was venturing further afield over to Lords as the days continued to get longer.  And watching those tiny leaves on what were small trees around the Oval at that time, become bigger, and the first time wearing sandals!  All delicious memories!  The jingle of a sandal buckle always takes me back immediately to those times and places! Thanks for the memories...(that's a song isn't it?).
:-)
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#18 [url]

Mar 18 11 11:00 PM

Enid Blyton!   Bah humbug!.   Richmal Compton and Just William for ever.    Reading under the blankets was OK until the batteries in your torch ran out. Two options were presented ( buying new ones was not an option)   You could go round the back of the Embassy cinema and pinch another from the bikes parked there, or if like me, you had a conscience you just swapped your lamp for one with a bit of life in it.  I do believe I even heard a Sister say "Exchange is no robbery" once.
       The trains were a great fascination.  I had an 'Ian Allan'  train spotters book ( I know, anorak before you say it!)   As I was able to nonchalantly cross off the numbers as they were seen it was envied.  One time another of the gang turned up with a book but after 4-5 trains had passed he was looking a bit miffed,
other"I cant find any of them in here" 
self "Is it out of date?"
other"Nope I just nicked it from ***********"
Poetic justice comes in many forms, not only was he guilty of nicking the book. The book he had nicked was  for the LNER and we were spotting on the LMS. 
Roy

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#20 [url]

Mar 19 11 2:25 PM

Jennifer,

I would still have mine but one of those crusty old maids at the library wanted them back.

Roy

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help