Remove this ad

dianaw

superstar

#21 [url]

Mar 19 11 8:05 PM

shelagh, we used to be fitted for new sandals just before Easter by Mr Wray, Pop Roycroft's 2nd in command, in his small workshop.  This would be the onset of Spring & playing out in the field to look forward to & on very rare occasions a new dress was allocated, otherwise hand-me-downs were the order of the day. In the Summer we used to make rings of the mown grass, which would represent our territory.  The boys it would be wars & the girls it would be a home.  In our house we also had a dressing up trunk, my favourite was a tattered maroon ballet tu tu. 
Cheers Di

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Mar 19 11 8:33 PM

Hi Di!
I remember the occasion of getting a brand new dress!  It seems like this only happened once, because it stands out so clearly in my mind.  It was a white dress with tiny orange flowers, and a matching belt of the same material.  I was so proud and happy about that dress!  i have one picture of me wearing it--but it's one of those large groups of tiny figures, the way photos were taken back then, so often.  Here it is.  I'm in the middle row, in the white dress!

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Mar 19 11 9:55 PM

Hello Di,
I was never keen on getting those new sandals. I remember they always rubbed me and gave me blisters until Ray C showed me how to beat the heck out of the straps so that it softened the leather.
As for the dressing up trunk, we had one in Rowanlea as can be evidenced by the pic on page 13 of Harrogate pictures. 1960, first reunion and two girls (unknown) roped me in to dress up Gypsy style.
Take care
Malc

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Mar 19 11 11:20 PM

As you say Di, there was a really special atmosphere that went with those new sandals.  They were the herald of summer and the promise of holidays and playing out after tea   ........   And yes, I bet you were proud of that new dress Shelagh.  It certainly made you smile in the photo !  But the thing is, even though most of the clothes we wore were second-hand, they were still 'new' to us.  I honestly don't ever remember feeling bad about wearing cast-offs.  In fact one thing I miss about the UK is the regular trips I used to make to the charity shops to buy my clothes.  Some of the favourite items in my wardrobe have been second-hand.
J
X

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Mar 20 11 6:28 PM

Still got my Bero book also given by mother in law. very battered now (pun not intended!) My kids & their friends loved all the cake recipes when they were little. Got me by @ many a church bazaar & school fund raising !!

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Mar 21 11 12:58 PM

Hi Jen!
About used clothing--yes, I've had fun, too, over the years--scouring the second-hand shops, and making an occasional discovery that became a favorite!  One of my best finds in this regard was one of those lovely Scandinavian cardigans--lovely colored patterns, thick warm wool, tooled metal buttons and clasps--they cost so much new!  But I found a nice one in a used clothing shop in Trondheim, Norway--which I will keep forever.  :-)  Will try to find a pic of me wearing it and post soon.  Like you, I didn't give much thought to clothes in the NCH. It was much more important to be out on the swings or in the woods! :-)
Love,
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#29 [url]

Mar 21 11 9:07 PM

Hi again Shelagh, I have always had a great admiration for librarians.  I visit Harrogate Library at least once a week & the librarians are very knowledgeable & helpful. Our library has just undergone a complete refurbishment courtesy of lottery funding & now it's all touch screen help-yourself & although this eliminates a lot of the queues, it does take away some of the atmosphere.  

Forgot to say, you still have the same happy smile in your 'find' photo, as you have in your 'white dress' photo. 
love Di

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Mar 21 11 9:42 PM

Oh yes.  What would we do without libraries.  And where on earth does the time go when you're browsing for books.  I've thought about getting one of those kindle things, but I suspect it just wouldn't give the same satisfaction as a book.
Jennifer
X

OOPS !  And my goodness.  I've just noticed that I've suddenly become a super-star !  What does that mean ??

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Mar 21 11 10:44 PM

Hi Jen,
I have one of those Kindle things, and it is fun and intriguing--you can store hundreds of books in there, so it's nice for long flights and international travel.  It also has a dictionary--very handy when your reading a book by, say, John Banfield (who's a brilliant author, but has the most amazing vocabulary). 
But, but, but, I have to say--absolutely nothing replaces real books in my world, and if you saw where I live--bookcases by the mile!  I once tried to figure out in strictly material terms what my possessions would amount to--and came up with about 80% paper (that would include letters, cards, photos as well)!   Whereas clothes, dishes, ornaments, etc--a mere 20%.  I'll probably have to come back as a tree in my next lifetime!
Cheers,
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Mar 21 11 10:49 PM

Hi Di!
Yes, libraries have gone very techie!  It's a scramble for me to keep up, but in a way, it's good I have to!  I wouldn't have nearly as much presence here, for instance, if I hadn't! 
And isn't t great to see people's faces!
Thanks,
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#33 [url]

Mar 21 11 11:48 PM

Give me a book every time. These new fangled Kindle things are ok in their place but leave a lot to be desired. . The crisp feel of a new book which changes to a soft familiarity with use. This causes it to become a reliable friend, just check out the Be-Ro edition above a much loved saver of situations. I doubt whether a kindle will ever produce such affection.
        It is however, as an old advert says, your flexible friend.   It can be a paper weight on the desk, a doorstop, a wedge under a wonky chair leg.   It is a tunnel for the lad's train set, It can be a mountain or rock for his army on the floor.  It can even be read but the is more likely to be by the daughter. Finally it can be the missile that disuades the dog from trying to reproduce with the vicar's leg.
        Where are you Kindle?

Roy

p.s.  Oh! and they provide employment for Librarians and secondhand dealers!

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Mar 22 11 12:24 AM

Hi all,
Books and books, I cant be without a book. Without a book I drive the wife nuts 'cos I sit there moaning and groaning about the trash on TV, all 253 channels of it, (right Sheila)?, Oh except for the football on Setanta and, (go on then I'll admit it) Coronation Street.
We have a wonderful little secondhand bookstore in our little town of Qualicum Beach, you cant move for books, wonderful, and you exchange books for a tiny fee, it's run by a retired couple who do it for the love of books rather than for the money.
Excuse me, I shall now go back to my book
take care
Malc

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Mar 22 11 1:15 PM

Hi Roy!
The irony of it is, I probably wouldn't have a Kindle if I didn't work in a library--so tech-oriented they are becoming now! :-)  It's sad to see "print" dwindling--but I don't think it's going to dissappear any time soon, thank heavens.
And talking of which, I've always said "I hope there are books in heaven!"  This of course is a brash assumption I'm headed to that place, and not the other one!
Currently reading a lovely old battered copy of Penelope Lively's Moon Tiger.  It's brilliant! 
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Apr 4 11 8:47 PM

O BRIAN AND JEFF, WHAT MEMORY`S YOU BROUGHT BACK TO ME WITH AMBROSE LANE BRIDGE LOOKING FOR THE TRAIN TO COME ON ONE SIDE THEN RUNNING TO THE OTHER LOOKING OVER AND GETTING THE FULL FORCE OF THE BLACK SOOTY STEAM THAT BLACK OUR FACE. AND LOOKING FOR SLOW WORM`S ON THE RAILWAY BANK AND I TO CAN REMEMBER POLISHING THE FLOOR WITH RAGS ON OUR FEET IT THE ONLY CHORE`S I VOLUNTEERED FOR. 

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Apr 6 11 7:17 PM

Hi Harpenden family can anyone remember our Christmas party down in London at the!!! I think it was  the news paper building Faraday house, You could see tower bridge from the top floor and.the antics that we all got up to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now i leave to what i have not said to your imagination."what i really mean we were the perfect children"in the 50s  garry

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#40 [url]

Apr 6 11 11:17 PM

Hi Garry,

I did go to a party at Faraday House. I have written it up at "The Treat of a Lifetime" on page 5 of the 'General' section, is this the time you were refering to?

Roy

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help