Lead

Jan 19 11 10:41 PM

Tags : :

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 8 11 10:26 AM

Sister Flora was my guardian angel for the first fourteen years of my life.  She was my mother.   She guided me through my formative years, and the standards and values she taught me nearly sixty years ago are still with me today.

When I was fourteen years old I went into foster care with the most unsuitable man who had no idea how to care for a difficult and damaged child.  He was a bully who enjoyed tormenting little girls with verbal abuse.  I had no idea how to fight back.  The situation often deteriorated into a wrestling match.  I was a child, and he was an adult who should have known better.  I was at an impressionable age and never realised at the time, what a huge influence this man had on my character.  Within a short time of being with my foster family I became aggressive and defensive towards everybody    .......     To make matters worse,  I once went back to a Harrogate reunion when I was about seventeen.  I met Mr Pruden on the drive, and he said to me  " We don't want YOUR sort here,  JONES ! "  I was completely stunned.  I didn't challenge Pruden because his remark had so taken me by surprise and I didn't know how to respond to such a vicious attack  ......   I never did understand what he meant, and I've always wondered why he said it.

Thank goodness sister Flora came to my rescue again.  She retired shortly after I went into foster care, and by coincidence, lived just a few miles away.  I had my own bedroom in her appartment and was able to spend holidays with her.  It was a wonderful refuge of peace and tranquility.  After I married, my husband and I visited her regularly until her death in 1982   .......   When she was alive I found it difficult to express my love for sister Flora because everyone else who had played a significant part in my life had failed me in some way.  I just wish now that I could put my arms round her and tell her how very much I love her. 

I've written this not only as a tiny tribute to sister Flora, but also as an example of how either the positive or negative behaviour of adults can have a tremendous impact on the developing mind of a child    ......    Lastly, I want to give credit to my husband,  who has been with me for forty five years and helped me to learn how to love, and to learn that I don't have to fight everybody.

Jennifer Jones

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Feb 8 11 1:47 PM

Hi Jen!
I am very moved by your tribute to Sister Flora. I think many of us know what you are talking about, and have similar feelings of thankfulness, on looking back, that our years with the NCH were after all very good, especially by comparison with other things out there that were not so good!   I, too, had a tough time of it in foster care, following my years in the NCH, and therefore, like you, a very mixed bag of experiences that made it difficult for me to trust anyone, for many years.  (Still some lingering mistrust, but like you, having a wonderful and supportive husband and a few good friends has helped me see that the world is after all a good place!).
I was only with Sister Cora for six years, and wish, now, that it had been a lot longer, and that I had kept in touch with her better.  A lot of what I did in subsequent years was simply looking for ways to survive, but it has brought me to a better place anyway and I'm thankful for that!
It's lovely we can all be in touch on this forum, so that we can honour those whose influence really helped us.  I'm trying to trust that what I got in the way of good direction was enough, after all, and not to have too many regrets about what wasn't!
I did go back to see Sister Cora once when she was in retirement.  I'm so glad I did that! :-)
Thanks so much, Jen, for your post!
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#3 [url]

Feb 8 11 8:52 PM

When I read what everyone has to say about their Sisters, I just get a hugh lump in my throat. Jennifer telling us about Sister Flora's sketches of the items she would need for the arrival of Jennifer as a small baby  Malcolm clinging on to Sister Beth & refusing to go to school because Sister Beth was leaving. Sister Anne's fight to keep Sue well & happy at Fairfield. I felt exactly the same about Sister Edith & although I was constantly close to her until she passed away in 1987 at the age of 90, I too wished I had been more demonstrative in telling her what she meant to me. Sister Edith suffered from Pernicious Anemia & used to get tired before due for a scheduled injection, but still gave us all 100% with the special treats, ie making toffee, the hikes on a Saturday, her special brand of humour, care & love.  Incidently Sue, I also could have been moved to Limpsfield Branch to be near my sister, but was so traumatised after being told of having to leave No. 2, that Sister Edith & Mr Roycroft spoke out to keep me where I was happy & settled.

I'm nominating Shelagh & Jennifer as joint authors for 'The Book', you both write so beautifully.  
Cheers Di

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Feb 8 11 9:58 PM

We didn't realise at the time, did we, how very hard the sisters worked.  And of course we were completely oblivious to any physical problems they might have had.  It is only now that I realise what great pain sister Flora must have suffered for most of the time.  She was crippled with rheumatoid arthritis and walked with a very pronounced limp because one of her legs was a lot shorter than the other.  I know she had difficulty getting dressed in the mornings.  But most of us were never aware that she must have found her work terribly difficult sometimes.   Her days off were usually spent at the Harrogate pump rooms where she would have treatment for her arthritis.  I don't suppose this was covered by the National Health, so it must have made quite a hole in her salary    .......    In all the years I knew her, I never heard her raise her voice in anger or say an unkind word.  She was truly dedicated to her vocation, and although she never had any blood children of her own, she was the most selfless and devoted mother anybody could wish to have.

Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Feb 8 11 11:38 PM

Hi Jen and Diana,
I concur wholeheartedly with all you said about our Loving Sisters, or as is the case with the three of us, being long term 'residents', our Mothers!. We knew no other and they taught us so much along with Pop and Mr Wray and even good old George Armstong!.
A little funny for you here.  a young Margaret Fisher was Sister Beths colleage, (i think they called the trainees), she then came back as Sister Margaret having qualified at Highbury. She was lovely, she would take us all dowtown sometimes and be dressed in 'Mufti' I think they called it, (her own clothes)  and there was an occasion when, as we past a couple of 'blue rinses', otherwise known as the Harrogate Elite, one was heard to say quite loudly, "Oh that poor girl, fancy, so many children and she's so young"!. The older one's of us gave Sister Margaret a big smile as she laughed then as she past the two women, and this is true, she said, "Yes, and all of them naturally". The women's faces were a joy to behold.
Take care all
Malcolm

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Feb 9 11 8:13 AM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've had so much stuff in my head for all these years that I've never talked about.  This site is a wonderful opportunity to let off steam,  come to terms with my past, and have  'closure'  on many issues   ......   So, thankyou Philip !

It is so nice for us to be able to communicate our thoughts and be able to write down what we want to say spontaneously.  But if we all want these anecdotes and memories to be published as a book,  we shall all have to take special care with spelling and grammar for any of the items we want to be included.  Of course there are new members joining all the time who will want a chance to participate,  so I can't see us publishing this book for some time yet !

Jennifer
X

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Feb 10 11 4:35 PM

Thank you so much jenni for your wonderful eulogy of s. flora. she was an absolute angel as was s. sybil.they both had an amazing influence on my life & i thank them with all my heart for all they taught us . it is because of them that i have a fair & balanced view on life & been able to be (i hope) to be  a good mother & grandmother. Ireally owe you an apology though for more than once i was jealous of you& s. flora you were so precious to her!! ofcourse i now understand. s. sybil was equally good to me & i was lucky enough to stay with her family in llanelli.A few years ago i went to a spiritualist meeting @ a friends house(making up numbers for her) when it was my turn to go in i was greeted by a stranger saying''i have someone here playing the piano. she is smiling & playing WHAT A FRIEND WE HAVE IN JESUS.that really blew me away as that was always my favourite hymn from our days in the choir when she was choir mistress!! maybe a guardian angel?? or still keeping her beady eye on me!!! And malcolm ,yes george armstrong & mr wray, were lovely gentlemen who were great to cuddle!! in the nicest possible way of course!!

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Feb 11 11 11:35 PM

Hi Sue thanks for directing me to this site, its like one big family dont you think. Not been in touch lately as I tend to be a bit too lazy to log onto my laptop, and its no incentive when my broadband is so slow.  Are you still in touch with Bernie? I had forgotten so much, but since being on here many memories have come flooding back. Your ex brother in law, I remember playing kiss chase on the back field and when Brian chased me, I made sure I fell down so he would catch me. If you have a pic of him (and Danny) all grown up can you email it to me as I would love to see if he is still the blonde curly haired hansome boy that I remember ha ha. I bet he's bald now !!!! anyway take care, are you still living life to the full? as you seem to have a great time, very envious.xx

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Feb 13 11 9:27 PM

Hi Sue just a quick message, good to see you still living in the fast lane. I am just going to sign off and look for some othe pics I have I cannot download as I dont have a scaner, I will have to take my pics to work then email them to you, perhaps you could download onto this site for all to see.  speak later x

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Feb 22 11 9:25 PM

Hello I lived in number 6 with Sister Louie I dont think she liked boys as she seemed to be pretty aggresive with me.I was beaten many times by her.....I will try and finish this off another time as I really dont like to talk about it.....

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Feb 22 11 10:48 PM

Hello Shel

I only mentioned sister Louie in number six the other day.  She had a little cairn terrier called Bunty.  I also remember a girl in number six with the surname Kaye.  Perhaps it was Janice Kay ?  Did you know her ?

Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Feb 23 11 1:28 PM

Yes I do remember these things now thanks to you..Janice was a special case her mother being some type of snob..how come you have such a great memory!!

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Feb 23 11 3:23 PM

Shel
I've never forgotten Janice or sister Louie.   And I've still got a scar on the palm of my hand after a bite from Bunty.  I was always encouraged to play with Janice because she seemed a very nice girl.  I didn't notice anything negative.
Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Feb 23 11 9:32 PM

Hi Shel

I see you have been chatting with Jen, I dont remember you but I assume I should as I was at Harrogate when Jen was there. There was myself and my brother Bernard Morgan. If you do know us please remind me. Malcolm always called me moaning minnie so that may ring a bell.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Feb 24 11 4:34 PM

hi shel. do you remember me & my sister norma? we were in no 7. i remember s. louie very well . also john collicott(boys brigade bugler i think) didn't you play the big base drum?? also raymond & josephine evans, olijide(alashaday) martin. keep working that memory  & let us know what you come up with!! will we be seeing you @ the reunion reeally hope so. Dxx

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Feb 24 11 4:41 PM

Hi Dot,
I see your'e online right now. Great to hear you will be at the reunion!, Miriam was asking yesterday about who all would be there of her age group, I said ME, well give or take a year or two!. I'll work on Norma  as I know you will, She's busy right now though, right?. Shel needs to be there too, are you reading this Shel?.
Talk soon Dot
take care
Malcx

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Feb 26 11 5:09 PM

Shel
I've never forgotten Janice or sister Louie.   And I've still got a scar on the palm of my hand after a bite from Bunty.  I was always encouraged to play with Janice because she seemed a very nice girl.  I didn't notice anything negative.
Jennifer

-jenniferjones

I wasnt refering to Janice but to her mother who when she came everyone must be on the best behaviour as she seemed to be some sort of a lady in the way she went about things,thats what I mean  by snob!!, hope you get my point

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Feb 26 11 5:19 PM

hi shel. do you remember me & my sister norma? we were in no 7. i remember s. louie very well . also john collicott(boys brigade bugler i think) didn't you play the big base drum?? also raymond & josephine evans, olijide(alashaday) martin. keep working that memory  & let us know what you come up with!! will we be seeing you @ the reunion reeally hope so. Dxx

-dorothysilkl

No I am sorry that I cant attend the reunion as I dont have time and the finance to travel to england. Just give me time to get my mind to start remembering about who I knew as I always have had a bad memory...I once met John Collecot in London trying to get him to join a direct marketing organisation I was in and I left him a bit angry over it... Yes he was a bugeler in the BB and Malcolm T. I remember was my lanc corpral and he played the side drum.I got on well with Malcolm and Graham Kirby. I also remember Audrey in I think Nr 3or was it nr.4 and I had a crush on her haha

Shel

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Apr 13 11 1:02 PM

Hi everyone I ws in number 8 ie Sister Doris, she was a wonderful person who dedicated her whole life to the NCH, until I can remember her losing her abilities. I still have fond memories of the good times and the bad tmes. Sister Millie took over from Sitster Doris with a much more innovated oullook to child rearing in the NHS. If you are out there please accept my thanks for all you did for me!!!!
Others who would remember Sister Doris in No 8 Brian, John, allan Joy Hisscot, Gary,Barbara Bowden, Janet Gilby Elizabeth Anderson. (Anyone in No 8 bplease get in touch)

Paul Grainge 1952- 1964

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#20 [url]

Apr 13 11 3:53 PM

Hi Paul, did you see the Beckwithshaw school photo on Harrogate Pictures, page 17,  that I received from my neighbour Chris Liddle?  I recognised you straight away when he showed it to me - 3rd from left at the back.  Later I noticed that Freddie Alderton was in it - 6th from the left at the back & Chris is 4th from the left on the row in front of you.  Freddie was in our house, No. 2. 

Although you're younger than me, I remember you from reunions.
Cheers Di 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help