Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 13 11 2:38 AM

Tags : :

I was in Stelling Hall from 1962 until 1969, it was not an unhappy experience and in many ways i wish i was still there .. we had lots of fun, jumping of a tyre rope on the HAHA wall, it was where the lawn ended and we'd use the tyre to swing across into the field.. In 1968 we had foriegn students helping to build an assault course to play on, it was in a garden bit like the "secret garden" book ... We used to climb the Fir Tree .. I loved climbing in those days .. til I fell off, it was a miracle I never broke my back lol. The big Oak tree in the middle of the Lawn. We played Crocket, Go swimming to Prudhoe, often treated to the pictures in Newcastle, Where I remember seeing .. The sound of Music .. we girls would get old dresses and make them into fashionable mini dresses of the Flower power days .. I especially remember Derek Bailey... he made a wooden cross in woodwork at school, the day we left the home, I went to be a nanny with my school teachers Sister and her husband, Derek gave me the wooden cross, I kept it for 30years it went missing whilst I was moving house.I remember a new Bungalow being built for Mr Falkingham the head of Stelling. The old gardener who lived in the lodge at the bottom of the drive.
I was in Flat 2 with Sister Anne, Miss Quick, Miss Bland ( left to get married) Mr and Mrs Whitehouse and their 2 children.miss gilchrist  I remember my days there with fond thoughts of fun .. My name Is Dawn, so derek if you remember me... I'd love to hear from you. I live in Scotland now, got the love of the country side from being in Stelling the smell of the nearby farm, the fun we had riding our bikes to prudhoe. Often go back have a peek and think of those days. Was so gutted they sold it on to make private homes and I couldnt have a look, but I go on to Corbridge where we went to School, have lunch and just remember those times, and friends
Here is a Photo of me now .. at Lanark. on one of my walks that I do most every week.

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 13 11 2:43 AM

I was in Stelling Hall from 1962 until 1969, it was not an unhappy experience and in many ways i wish i was still there .. we had lots of fun, jumping of a tyre rope on the HAHA wall, it was where the lawn ended and we'd use the tyre to swing across into the field.. In 1968 we had foriegn students helping to build an assault course to play on, it was in a garden bit like the "secret garden" book ... We used to climb the Fir Tree .. I loved climbing in those days .. til I fell off, it was a miracle I never broke my back lol. The big Oak tree in the middle of the Lawn. We played Crocket, Go swimming to Prudhoe, often treated to the pictures in Newcastle, Where I remember seeing .. The sound of Music .. we girls would get old dresses and make them into fashionable mini dresses of the Flower power days .. I especially remember Derek Bailey... he made a wooden cross in woodwork at school, the day we left the home, I went to be a nanny with my school teachers Sister and her husband, Derek gave me the wooden cross, I kept it for 30years it went missing whilst I was moving house.I remember a new Bungalow being built for Mr Falkingham the head of Stelling. The old gardener who lived in the lodge at the bottom of the drive.
I was in Flat 2 with Sister Anne, Miss Quick, Miss Bland ( left to get married) Mr and Mrs Whitehouse and their 2 children.miss gilchrist  I remember my days there with fond thoughts of fun .. My name Is Dawn, so derek if you remember me... I'd love to hear from you. I live in Scotland now, got the love of the country side from being in Stelling the smell of the nearby farm, the fun we had riding our bikes to prudhoe. Often go back have a peek and think of those days. Was so gutted they sold it on to make private homes and I couldnt have a look, but I go on to Corbridge where we went to School, have lunch and just remember those times, and friends
[image]

-velvetrose

Here I am at Lanark, they have a beautiful walk here, I go on lots of lovely walks most weeks, not so fit any more.. so I take it at my pace and enjoy what I see, its a spendid country of beauty

Velvetrose

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 8 11 10:09 AM

I along with my sister Karen ,and brother Mark , were in Stelling hall in the late 60s , i think we were in flat one , with Miss Anne , ( what an evil woman she was ), were you there when they brought the car chitty chitty bang bang to us , there is somewhere a photo a photo of me sitting in it , i was so young ,i cant really remember that much , maybe you cant help ?? i have wrote to action for children for a copy of my records during that time , and had a reply ,but was told at the moment there is a backlogg, thanks Dean 

Quote    Reply   

clive

superstar

#3 [url]

Apr 27 11 3:04 PM

Stelling Hall, Nr. Newton, Stocksfield, Northumberland NE43 7UT

Mr T E Falkingham

General branch for 50 children

The original branch was a large house in given to the National Children’s Home in 1920.  In 1954 a move was made to Stelling Hall, 14 miles west of , where a large house and its ancillary buildings have been adapted for five family groups.  It has been possible to provide a community hall and a library.  Outdoor pursuits include swimming, fell walking and helping on local farms.  There are useful links with local churches, communities and uniformed youth organisations.

Quote    Reply   
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

clive

superstar

#11 [url]

Oct 22 11 4:30 PM

Dear Philip,

Well done and thanks for reproducing so many photographs of the children and staff and Stelling Hall.

Best wishes,

Clive   

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#13 [url]

Oct 26 11 1:37 PM

Philip the photographs you've posted are brilliant & could be from any one of the Branches.  The Nativity photos are so similar to Fairfields, that without thinking I was looking for familiar faces!

My appreciation of the work you do to give us this site, is a million fold, THANKS.
love Di 

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Nov 28 11 3:57 PM

I don't ever remember a chapel ... which possibly was before my time in 1963-1969 .. possibly turned into the Hall at a later date. We used to walk to Newton C of E in Newton Village. 

I remember being one of the Shephards in a christmas play... and being Queen at the Festival of Queens at Newcastle in 1968. which Lord Ridley was there.

There wasn't any Green Houses.  The couple of the photos of the main building is Stelling hall ... the boys with bikes and girls on the lawn with the dolls house is Stelling hall .. 
Alot if they are Stelling were more the 50's as I dont remember any of the faces ..of staff .. tho a couple of the children with Tambarines looked familuar .. my sister Faith or Paula, 

Good Days ....

Velvetrose

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Nov 28 11 4:02 PM

on reflection the buildings at the back of the girls with Tambarines ... is not in keeping with Stelling.
We did not have alot of men .. looking after us ... Mr and Mrs Higham .. Mr and Mrs Falkingham .. possibly one other married couple. in the years I was there. 

Velvetrose

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Mar 22 13 11:56 PM

Hi Dawn ,I Was At Stelling Hall From 1966 Till 1968 .My Name Is Tony Fairley ,I Was In Flat Two ,Miss Quicks House . My Memory Is A Bit Vague ,But I Do Remember Your Sister Faith . Thinking Back There Are A Few Names That Spring To Mind . Do You Remember ,Chris Henderson ,He Was Also In Flat Two .Paul Muller ,I Think He Was In Mr And Mrs Timpsons House. There Was Two Sisters Called Jane And Vera  ...The Only Dawn I Remember Was Dawn Smith ,And I Think She Hailed From North Shields ....Is This You ??. I Was Looking At The Pics Someone Posted ,But I Think They Were From An Earlier Time .I Also Remember Going To Prudhoe Baths ,We Went To School At Corbridge As Well. Was Mr Higham The Head When You Were There ?/.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Mar 25 13 7:51 PM

My dad Robert Clarke hildrew was known as Robert Hayley's , he used to hang around with Derek bailey, Roy ? Alan & Adam Thompson.
He was in with mr & mrs White House where she tied him to her waist so he couldn't set the fireworks off. 

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Mar 26 13 2:18 PM

Hi Dawn ...Your Dads Name Doesn't Ring Any Bells For Me .But I Do Know "Alan And Adam Thompson ".They Arrived About Six Months After Me . They Came From Dudley In North Tyneside ...Point Of Fact Adam Now Runs The "Dudley Hotel ".

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help