Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

Lead

Apr 28 11 2:29 PM

Tags : :

SCARBOROUGH May Lodge, 25-27 Filey Road, Scarborough, Yorkshire YO11 2TW
General branch for 20 children.
The Scarborough branch, opened in 1966 and replacing the former Whitby branch, is a large house close to the town and to the beach.
The house has been adapted, a recreation room has been added and a garden provides space for play.
There is excellent liaison with schools and churches in Scarborough and good support is received from the whole community.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

clive

superstar

#1 [url]

Apr 28 11 4:14 PM

SCARBOROUGH CELEBRATES!

FAMILY NEWS from the National Children’s Home

July 1969

May Lodge have good cause to remember Centenary Year.  Our Committee sent us in a minibus to the Royal Albert Hall to join in the April Celebrations.  Only one of the children had ever been to London before so a ‘mini-tour’ was essential, including tea at a Corner House.  (‘Fancy having lemon with fish and chips!’)  On arrival at the Hall, we displayed our banner and had our photograph taken!  Inside the Hall we felt a lump in our throats as we watched the early days of the Home; we shouted for the team of our choice in the Five-a-Side Football competition; we were thrilled to see the Principal with arms outstretched to receive a little child and were then swept with everyone else into the singing of the hymn ‘Now thank we all our God’.  With what warmth we waved to the Duchess of Gloucester as she said goodbye at the end.  Staying overnight at Harpenden and the final drive home completed a never-to-be-forgotten memory.  ‘May we go to the   Centenary again next year?’ asked one of the group.

May 2 was the occasion for two celebrations.  Our children had already met those from Harrogate when we visited them for the heat of the Five-a-Side Football match and in May we were able to return their hospitality.  The children were to form a choir for the Scarborough Service of Thanksgiving which was held at Queen Street Central Hall.  When we arrived at the church we were impressed to see the distinguished company who had come to give thanks for the 100 years’ service by the Home.  There were civic representatives, Methodists from Circuit and District, friends from Highbury, and the Church of England Children’s Society sent their General Secretary, the Rev R C M Beeny, our preacher.  Lessons were read by Anne Ingle, a senior girl from May Lodge and D T Graham.  Mr Beeny reminded us of the great team of people engaged in the work of NCH right from the beginning and that we are still going forward into new fields of child care.  A happy sequel to the service was a telephone call received next day from the Deputy Mayor and Mayoress who had been given an iced cake on the occasion of the Co-operative Bakers’ Centenary Conference.  What better way could be found than to share it with our children?

Quote    Reply   

clive

superstar

#2 [url]

Apr 28 11 4:18 PM

Mr and Mrs E F Stephenson left the Scarborough Branch in March 1969 and Mr and Mrs D T Graham were appointed Houseparent’s-in-charge of May Lodge with their son and daughter, Ian and Lesley.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Apr 28 11 7:55 PM

Whilst the life of May Lodge was going on I was so near to some of it and didn't have a clue. I moved to Scarborough Easter 1970 to be Sub Manager of Lloyds Bank in St Nicholas Street and we moved into our new home in Raincliffe Grove, off Stepney Road. I was exceedingly busy at work as not only was I learning the skills of customer interviewing and lending etc but also supervised the conversion from accounting machines to computer.
I also had a son aged 4 and twin sons aged 3 and I found time to take up golf at South Cliff Golf Club.
I feel quite guilty now as I really should have found time to visit May Lodge and perhaps share some of my time with the children.
In 1973 I was promoted yet again to York and we said goodbye to Raincliffe Grove, Bairnswood Kindergarden and St Martins infants school and hello to Poppleton south of York.
Scarborough really is a delightful place.

Happy days but a missed opportunity ?

David Green

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Apr 28 11 9:02 PM

Memories eh David?, its is true tho, scarborough really is a delightful, Did you know, Sir Jimmy Savills mum(the duchess as he called her), lived 2 doors down from May Lodge?. I can remember doing a sponsored walk, prob in1967,as i was sponsored 2/6d a mile by the 2 delightful old dears that lived next door. Would have to be pre decimalisation. A lot of money in those days. We did from Scarborough to Whitby Abbey, 21 and 1/2 miles. we did cheat a lot by crossing a lot of fields, can recall i did some of the way with Jimmy Saville when he was doing his radio show, dont recall getting a mention tho,. This walk was to raise funds for a new outdoor swimming pool in our South Bay. It was eventually built, but i couldnt help but look on in dismay at this concrete round/oval thing with the wakk directly by the sea, indeed, i do believe they filled it with sea water, you may remember it, if its still there, near the open air theatre.
 Another thing that brought memories back to me was the film"Little Voice" with Michael Caine, it was filmed in Scarborough....and as for raincliffe, my sister wendy went there.......when i came home today from work, there was a letter from Watford for me, saying they have located a space on their database, and they are in touch with the office in Scotland, where my files are seemingly...so all in all a good day for me, with Clive and Philip posting about May Lodge, and now my records....THERE IS A LIGHT APPEARING....

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Apr 29 11 5:31 PM

Yes Jimmy was a close friend of Jimmy Corrigan who owned the amusement arcade on the Foreshore and Jimmy was one of my customers. I spent a lot of time with him through work and socially and was aware that he and Jimmy Saville had lots in common. They both had a "Roller" and when they took delivery they immediately ordered another one because there was a waiting time of 3 or 4 years. Then they would sell the old one on at nearly the same price they paid for it.

I think Jimmy Savilles'  mother was from Leeds.

I certainly remember the pool at South Bay. Never as popular as the one in North Bay. Do you remember the cliff lift? It was owned and run by another of my customers called George Walker and I sometimes helped him with some maintainence late evening after it was closed down.

Did you know they have just reopened the Open Air Theatre  after a very expensive refurbishment ?

I can remember going to stay in the hall underneath Westborough Methodist Church for a Summer holiday in about 1946.

Happy memories.

David Green

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

#6 [url]

Dec 30 11 5:10 PM

Do we have any members who took part in an NCH film around 1970 at the Scarborough Breanh?

A LETTER FROM MUM (1970?) (20 min.): col.
Two small boys discuss the NCH magazine Sunny smiles.
A story follows of two children taken into NCH care because their parents have been injured in a road accident after chasing jewel thieves in a car.
There are scenes of residential life before the children return home.
Project and staff featured: Scarborough Branch and its Superintendent Mr D T Graham..

------------------------------
Philip

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Apr 28 13 2:38 PM

Does anybody have any information of sister Marjorie Larkin who moved from Whitby [larpool hall] to Scarborough when Larpool closed,I wondererd if she had remained in Scarborough,when she retired

Sylvia taylor

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help