Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

Lead

Apr 28 11 3:18 PM

Tags : :

HORSHAM Forest House, Winterpit Lane, Mannings Heath, Horsham, Sussex RH13 6LZ
Nursery for 20 children.
A large country house standing in 12 acres of grounds in a pleasant setting of Sussex countryside. Forest House has been used by the Home since 1951.
The youngest children are cared for in a baby unit and many of the babies are adopted; those who stay beyond their first year go on into one of three family groups.
Each group is in the care of a trained nursery nurse helped by a nursery assistant and student nurses. The training programme is arranged in co-operation with the Brighton Nursery Training Centre.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Sep 5 11 6:10 PM

I lived at forest house between 1979-1985 mrs angle was the head and mrs godby her deputy is there any residents or staff still around who may have some photographs of the home and residents if you have please contact me on my email dawes007@aol.com You would of know me as Peter rayne/edwell

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jan 2 12 11:43 PM

I was adopted in 1969 from Alverstoke, But was bought up in Horsham by my adoptive parents. My Father spent a lot of time at Forest House helping with the organisation of the Summer Fete and the bonfire night. I spent a lot of time there as a child and remember Miss Angel. I would have possibly been there at those events at the same time as you.
One year I remember Stirling Moss opening the Summer Fete and another year I remember setting up a smooth floor in the gardens for two Dr who Darleks to be sat in by the children. It was a bit of an eye opener to see how basic they actually were in side. My adoptive Father has passed away now but they were very happy times.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 11 12 4:57 PM

My English Father met my German mother in Germany after the second world war when he was stationed there in 1948 and they married and soon after I was born we all came to England but sadly my poor mum caught TB and nearly died when I was only seven months old and she was in hospital and convalesance for over two years and my awful father and his parents didn't want me and I was taken to Forest House where I stayed for over two years before my dear mother could take me back. My mother has nothing but the highest praise for the way I was looked after and in the main I was looked after by one young nurse and her parents wanted to adopt me but my mother wouldn't allow it and there was lots of tears there when my mother took me home. Peter Newman.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Feb 13 12 8:31 PM

At least you grew up with the knowledge that you were wanted, Peter.   

Jennifer

-jenniferjones

That simple message sums up so much for those who, like you, Jennifer, received no such feeling from birth families. I was lucky in having a mother who did keep in regular contact during my NCH years. I have the greatest respect and admiration for those who grew up knowing that they were totally rejected by those who had the duty of responsibility and love. Your contributions to the Forum, Jen, are always extremely insightful, and a privilege to read. 

Roger.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Feb 14 12 7:11 AM

Oh Roger !  I thought you were going to tell me off !   But your words were very kind and reassuring.

No matter what our background or circumstances were when we were growing up in the NCH, we all have that common bond that enables us to understand and empathise with each other    ...    Until I joined this site, I had never had an opportunity to express myself or discuss my childhood with anyone who understood.  So being able to post my thoughts has been a wonderfully cathartic experience for me, and I'm sure other members feel the same.

Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Feb 15 12 11:37 AM

Jennifer,
Your post articulates exactly how I felt when I first discovered Philip's site back in 2007. Until then, I had never been able to discuss, or even admit to, my NCH internment. Having suppressed one's "cupboard skeleton" for so long after leaving (55 years in my case), it is extraordinary how liberating it can be just to exchange stories with others who understand and share similar experiences, without having to set the scene, explain the background or justify the circumstances. You are a major asset to the site, Jennifer, and your articulate, beautifully written contributions are delightful to read. We have a number of intelligent, highly literate ladies on this site, and, though I don't write so much these days, it is still a pleasure to visit and enjoy  the quality of discussion.
Roger. 

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Feb 16 12 10:03 PM

Thank you Jennifer for your nice comment, I could ad a lot more about my time at Forest House as my mother has told me all about my stay there. If people on this site are interested I shall post as much as I can tell, Peter.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

malsal

superstar

#9 [url]

Feb 16 12 11:23 PM

Hi Peter I would welcome your comments in the home but I was really like to hear more of your life in Germany which as I said to you I really liked on my six years in the army in the sixty's .Hoping life is is treating you well ,regards  Malc S  

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Feb 17 12 6:35 AM

As you can see when you look through the topics on the forum Peter, those of us who have been on the site for some time feel as though we're old friends.  We all have a story to tell, and of course we always like to welcome new members and hear their stories too.  Yours is no exception. 

Jennifer 

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Feb 24 12 7:50 AM

Hi Jennifer and all, Sadly I don't remember anything about my stay at Forest House as I was far to young to do so but my mother has told me everything about my stay there. My mother wasn't able to see me for about a year and a half but when she recovered from TB. The hospital in Romford paid for a monthly return taxi for her so she could visit me, My mum had been assured that I was in the best possible hands and she was emensly pleased with what she saw. As she understood there was a young woman or nurse who in the main looked after me and this lady was allowed at weekends to take me to her parents farm nearby to give me a change of scenery and her parents wanted to adopt me but my mum wasn't happy about that and the day came when she was able to have me back. My mum was fearful of being a German in a strange country after my dad dumped us and I never ever had any contact with him not even birthday or xmas presents and my mum had to fight tooth and nail to get any maintenance for me from him, He was a total swine to us. I only had my German grandma as my German grandpa was lost in WW2 and we could only vistit once every two or three years. We were both befriended by many families in England who helped to look after us and gave my mum nothing but total kindness and my mum eventually met a supurb man called Sam who she married and he adopted me and he gave me a perfect life. My mum is now 84 but sadly Sam died many years ago. Through my German relations I ended up working for the German car company BMW for many years until I returned to England and I set up my own BMW and Mercedes garage for twenty five years until due to minor health problems I couldn't work in a cold climate anymore and I became a recording studio guitar session player which I still do today. I still travel to Germany to visit my relations a lot and when the wall came down I was able to visit my East German relations. Thats about all that I can say. I came upon this site through interest about my early years as I used to work with someone who came from Horsham and I told him of my stay near Horsham and he told me where it was that I was looked after and the power of the internet led me here I'm VERY pleased to say. My very best wishes to everybody on the site. Peter Newman.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Feb 24 12 9:33 AM

It's nice to hear from you again Peter, and to read your history.  Yes, thank goodness for internet !  It has enabled all of us to talk about our experiences and give each other the moral support that just wouldn't have been available for previous generations who must have had some very interesting stories to tell. 

Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Feb 24 12 11:26 AM

I would like to add a few footnotes to the above re the kindness that my mum and I recieved from many people in England, Sam the man my mum married came from a very large family and he had a lot of brothers and sisters and we were both welcomed with open arms by all of them and we were absorbed into his whole family group and at christmas there was always a very large family gathering which was lovely. But as I look back on my life I do not remember my mum marrying Sam as again I was too young but from my earliest memories Sam was always there for me and he was always picking me up and giving me cuddles and the fact that he was not my natural father never entered my head but i was told everything when I was old enough to fully understand. Again as an overview good came out of a very bad situation and my mum still says that the nurses at Forest house instilled in me good manners and respect for the other children who were there and I was never any trouble in my childhood. Peter

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

May 9 13 5:26 PM

Can you help with an old memory.... I was at Harwood House but day care at Forest.... I remember a car port/garage near the road entrance with a driveway up to the main house the car was I think a VW beetle?? this was in 1974ish... anyone remember what Im talking about?? 

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

May 11 13 3:01 PM

ps... the VW was used for taking us kids out to the shops or cinema, and if I remember rightly had the big hippy flowers on the side of it.... was this Forest House??

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Mar 3 16 11:29 PM

Hi,
I remember the VW beatle, my brother and I lived there from 1987 and went out in that car.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help