Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

Lead

Apr 28 11 3:29 PM

Tags : :

PAINSWICK, Gyde Home, Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire GL6 6RB
General branch for 48 children.
Gyde House is delightfully situated on the hillside above the old-fashioned Cotswold town of Painswick. Opened in 1919 by the trustees of a local charity, the National Children’s Home assumed responsibility for the work in 1935.
Large dormitories have been converted into smaller bedrooms and other alterations have been made to adapt the premises to the family pattern.
For a long time there were boys only at Painswick but girls and younger children have been introduced, so that there are now four family groups with an age range from two to sixteen

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Dec 30 11 6:32 PM

I was at Painswick in Sister Rita's family about 1962 - 1964 ish. I remember the rats by the bins we had to go there in the dark and it was really scary. The woods and the Beacon where we had great times playing. And upsetting the golfers putting the golf balls somewhere else and when they found them in some awkward spots. It was agreat place for children to grow up and explore.

The discipline was severe the dinner gong was struck once and you should be at the table washed, it sounded again you went hungry if you were not at the table but  washing your hands when the second gong went that is not at the table.

And you were hit if you did something naughty. And if you had not bathed probly and still dirty Sister would get the scrubbing brush out - OUCH!

We were the Solway Family. Lesley Marion Malcolm & Karen

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jan 24 12 2:46 PM

i was in gyde house 1976 till 1983 was the best time of my life,was there with family,sister tracey,and brother mark webb.joanne member of staff was lovely,and linda i was a bridesmaid to her,we have fun holidays,and made friends,yanic,andrew lane,ectxxxxxxx

h webb

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 2 12 11:02 PM

Hello, my name is michael lewis and i was at gyde house and also in sister ritas family (later took over by miss dianne) called ingram if i remember rightly.  I was later moved into sister peggys family but i do remember your names and it brings back lots of memories as i was there for all of the 1960s.  Since leaving gyde i have always lived in the gloucester area, the other day i drove up to painswick and looked over the wall at gyde, it has now been converted into private apartments but outwardly the house and grounds look almost the same as it did all those years ago when i left there.   I would be interested to hear from you if you remember me although it is a long time ago now.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Mar 2 12 5:03 AM

Hi My name is Malcolm Solway i was in sister Ritas family around 1962/3 i was only about 4 or so, i now live in vancouver Canada but would like to touch base with you.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Mar 23 12 3:58 PM

Hi Michael were you there when a little boy made a bonfire in the day room only a little bit of damage, a chair was damaged Sister was on her day off. PS  Lesley is my sister

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Mar 24 12 1:39 PM

Hi, yes i vaguely remember that incident. Do you remember those tall wooden cupboards that you put your stuff in, well i used to keep a couple of pet mice in a shoebox in my cupboard much to sister Ritas dismay.

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#10 [url]

Mar 24 12 7:05 PM

If Harpendenites had ever caused a bonfire in the dayroom, other than a good dose of the cane, Sister  would have put on sittingroom fireplace duty for the rest of your natural stay.

Philip

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Mar 25 12 11:11 AM

Hi Michael this is great reliving memories after all these years. Do you remember the dump and the Beacon. My brother and I would place the golfers golf balls in a different place to where they would fall HE! HE! And we had great times in the woods making a bow with arrows. Climbing trees it was agreat place for young children to try and forget why they where there in the 1st place. Dr Who had just started and the Sister's would use that as punishment, if you misbehaved, " you can't watch Dr Who this Saturday"
I now live in Chelmsford but originaly came from West London.

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#12 [url]

Apr 18 12 9:22 AM

Repost from Heidi38

looking for andrew lane who lived with me heidi webb,my sister tracey webb,and brother mark webb in the late 70s gyde house childrens home

Please use private Message to reply.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Nov 26 12 9:40 PM

Hello David.

i was wondering if you had received my messages that i had sent you a couple of weeks ago?
i don't know if you have been on the site recently. I said i used to live at gyde house from 1979/1984. i knew Mandy and Nicky they are sisters. and the Blackwood family Joe and Eric. anyway i hope your ok.

If you would like to you can e-mail me on rayglos@hotmail.com.
I sent this to you already, but just in case it has been misplaced.

Thank you.

Raymond.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Nov 26 12 9:42 PM

Hello David.
I was wondering if you had received my messages that i had sent you a couple of weeks ago?
i don't know if you have been on the site recently. I said i used to live at gyde house from 1979/1984. i knew Mandy and Nicky they are sisters and the Blackwood family Joe and Eric.Anyway i hope your ok.
If you would like to you can e-mail me on rayglos@hotmail.com.
I sent this to you already, but just in case it has been misplaced.
Thank you.
Raymond.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jan 19 13 6:26 PM

philip keene, I was at gyde from about 1956-1963, think the family was called ingram looked out on the playing field, sunday school was in the village,and church next door, think names were sister elizabeth,and sister jean, mr harper at the school my god that cane hurt,lol, remember this giant of a man in sunday school how cruel we were to call him tubby hatley, hoping to meet up with steven wood some time soon take care all

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jan 20 13 10:08 PM

i also lived at gyde between 1964 and 1969, my name then was rose meyrick and my 3 sisters alison julie and susan lived ther too, i was in seaton and my sisters were in ingram, i spent a very happy childhood there, we had the best upbringing any child could have and the whole of painswick beacon to ourselves, i remember attending the croft infants school, and then catching the school bus to archway school when i was older, i made some really close friends when i was at gyde house and didnt want to leave, i remember clearly sundays attending the church in the village and then another service in our own church in the grounds, i was in the choir with my friends, a lot of names i have forgotten over the years but would love dearly to hear from anyone who remembers me

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jan 20 13 10:18 PM

i do remember you michael, my sisters allison and julie were in ingram with you, did you have a sister, i was in seaton and everyone became my family, i also have been back to visit taking my own children with me, it was a special part of my life and was sorry to leave all my friends, do you remember jimmy and johnny lilly, valerie hollyoak, kim karen and kevin williamson,

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jan 21 13 1:03 PM

Hi rose this is mike lewis, yes i remember you and your sisters, was Susan the eldest, she would have been about my age. I was originally in Ingram but then was moved into somerville with Sister Peggy. You must have been in sister Pats. I do remember the Lillys and the Hollyoaks. I too had a good time as a child there and didnt really want to leave. It is lovely to hear from somebody else who was at gyde after all this time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help