Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Jan 22 13 9:14 PM

hello michael, yes Susan was the eldest, she lives in china now, she got a flat and a job so left Gyde House before me, its funny i didnt really mix with my other sisters as they were in ingram, i can honestly say that i loved living there, i was a real tomboy always with the boys climbing trees, trying to pinch fruit from the kitchen gardens, i knew every bit of painswick beacon and played up there for hours, its really lovely to hear from someone who was there when i was, have you kept, in contact with anyone, I was happy to move back with my mum and be a family again, but inside i never wanted to leave Gyde House, and was very sad, although, i didnt move very far away, i now live in Gloucester, anything you can remember please let me know as i love hearing about the place x

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

clive

superstar

#22 [url]

Jan 22 13 11:45 PM

Dear Mike,

Sister Peggy Greenway was ordained by the Rev John W Waterhouse and entered the NCH Sisterhood in 1958.  She transferred to Killay House, the Swansea Branch of the NCH on promotion to Superintendent in 1971 and has been retired some 28 years which is about the same period of time she worked for NCH.  

Best wishes,

Clive 

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Apr 10 13 9:09 PM

i was in gyde from 1983 - 1985 was called david richards.if you do remember me  e-mail me :-)

-baldy3816

Hi David Richards
My name is Andrew Harrison (Formerly Known as Andrew Lane)
I Have sent you a Private Message. 

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Apr 10 13 11:14 PM

Hi There.
First of all my Biggest Thanks goes to Phillip the Founder, With out this fantastic forum I would not be able to Track some Very dearest Friends.
  My Name is Andrew Harrison (Formerly Known as Andrew Lane)
I Lived At Gyde House in Painswick in the Early 70's to Early 80's. I have Fond Memories Of this Wonderful Home. I also Remember the Musical that we performed in the Royal Albert Hall in London Which was carried out by the Children & Staff of Gyde House, If anyone can't remember It. It was Called "For Love Of Children".
I still have The LP record, (Which I have Converted To MP-3).
Every time I Listen to it I get quite Emotional as I can hear very prominent Voices like Laurence Norman, Unc, Blackwood Family (Eric, Joey, Wickham, Yanic & Simon), Heather, Stephen Lane, Louise Lane, Carol, Linda Sobey etc. The Musical was about Dr. Thomas Bowman Stevenson who Helped in Starting of the NCH.

I loved Playing on my bicycle around the grounds and also playing on the Adventure Playgroung which had the Name "Hello Sailor" painted on the concrete tunnel, and the Zip Wire which was great for the Children.

I went to The Croft Primary School in the Village and to the Church on Sundays.

If I am not Mistaken The Home was in 3 Parts. I lived in "Weslyan", which is were all the children painted the Corridor wall with Various Pictures. I painted The Ship & Rabbit, My Brother Painted Steve B Truck, I also Remember The Dreaded Fire Alarm Drills which Laurence Norman Prepared Joanna Timpson and Staff, Because I used to get very Histerical when they were set off. They did move me from the Third Floor to the Second Floor so I did not Have far to Run Out of the Building.
There was also "Ingram" & "Somerville" Which was changed later to "Stepping Stones". Anyone else Remember This?

I can also remember Singing in Laurence Norman's Folk/Choir, Which we did get to Sing with the Wurzels. Laurence Norman was a very good Guitar Player. My favorite song was "I Have A Dream". I also Have a Single Record that was Recorded in Bristol by the Children & Staff of Gyde house and that was called "Long Ago & Christmas Magic" Which I also had the Privilege to be on.

Can any one Remember Mr Hunt. I can always remember every time i saw him he had a Ciggy Hanging out of the corner of his mouth.

The Last time I saw my Friends was a Reunion Bonfire many years ago.

The Last time I visited Painswick & Gyde House was about 2006 only to find out that Gyde House has now been converted in to Flats. I also managed to track down the Gardener, Ron Lamart who Lives very close to Gyde House and kept the ground's in a pristine condition. He Informed Me with some Tragic news About Eric Blackwood Passing away and This is what I found in the Obituary "Fredrick Garfield BLACKWOOD (ERIC) Formerly of Painswick and Stroud. Passed away on 30th July 2006. Sadly missed by family and friends". R.I.P. Eric He was My best Friend when I was living at Gyde House, and My Sincere Condolences to the Blackwood Family.

I left Gyde House in the 80's and Moved to another Children's Home In Dinas Powys called 
Ardwyn. I lived there until I was 16.
I am Now Married to a Wonderful Woman called Sally Harrison and I have a Son called Thomas Harrison and he is 8 Years old.
My Ex-Brother Stephen Lane and my Current Sister Louise Lane also Formerly known as Louise Edwards also Lived at Gyde House for a Brief time.

I would also like to mention a Big Hello to Heidi and David Richards. 
I Have posted Private Messages to you Both.

I would Love To Hear from anyone who Remembers Me. 

Andrew Harrison (Formerly Known as Andrew Lane)

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Apr 30 13 9:04 PM

Hi Phil,

David Luce. Yes it was Ingram family facing the football pitch. Sister Elizabeth Frater was Sister. I was in Ingram from 1955 to 1960. Remember the rattly leaded windows. The big fireplace and the boot room? You may also remember Ian Clarke and Barry Stevens. We all joined the Navy at about the same time.  I have a few photos I will upload in due course.

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

May 1 13 9:56 AM

I was delighted to hear that sister Peggy is enjoying a long retirement - so well deserved.
I remember her from Gyde, both as a lad and later on returning to visit as an "old boy"
I visited Peggy and took tea in her flat just before I got married.
A wise, kind and twinkling lady, please tell me she is still well.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

May 1 13 1:54 PM

Hi to Dave Luce, my name is Mike Lewis and i was at Gyde between 1963 and 1969. You had left Gyde before i got there but as soon as i saw your name i remembered you. I got to know you from you visiting often as an old boy, didnt you used to leave a motorbike there in one of Mr lamonts sheds, think it was a Velocette if i remember rightly.  I joined the army when i left and remember going with you on the train back to camp at taunton and you were going on to Plymouth i think as you were in the navy.  Anyway its good to know you are still about, i will always have fond memories of the place.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

May 2 13 8:31 AM

Nice to hear from you Mike. Hope you are well. I'm working through this site now, it has lots of interesting observations and points of view which I am assimilating.  Yes It was a Velocette and Bill Donaldson was very generous in allowing me to leave it in Ron's shed.  Curious thing about Ron because I quite resented him tearing down my crystal set aerials which I used to string from the senior boys bedroom to the walnut tree. Even ruined his lawn when I decided to bury the line.  On returning for Christmas visits I'd like to think that Ron became a very good friend and we enjoyed chatting over tea in the woodwork room.  He was building a greenhouse for Bill which later stood in the raised garden at the entrance to Gyde. 

Quote    Reply   

clive

superstar

#32 [url]

May 3 13 2:05 PM

Dear David,

Welcome to the site.

Sister Elizabeth Frater was ordained by the Rev John W Waterhouse and entered the NCH Sisterhood in 1956.

Sister Peggy Greenway is still well in retirement.

Best wishes,

Clive

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Nov 27 13 11:18 PM

Hi

My name is William Gyde. proper name is Francis William Gyde. I don't know if you knew me or remember me, I was at Gyde house from 1968 - 1974/5 when I went back home, I had some friends there, but can not remember as its been a while over 30 years. I know I was in a few of the houses but remember being moved from house to house, because of something I did I just can't remember. Anyway hopefully you can shed some light on names, as I can remember my best friend there called Andrew Tomlinson. Well hope to hear from you with some news.

Thanks for reading this.

William Gyde

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#37 [url]

Nov 28 13 9:58 PM

Hello Will,
Welcome to the forum I do hope that you get some replies from people that know you. Sadly I am not one of them but a nosey so and so who is intrigued by the Surname and Housename being the same. If it is not too personal would you mind telling us how it came about? was it for instance, purely coincidental ?

Roy

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Nov 29 13 12:38 AM

My Name?

Well I am not too sure on how my name and the house name came about. The only time I knew about Gyde House was when I was moved from Vinny green in Bristol to Gyde House because I kept running away as it was a s--t hole, where I ended up with a brick thrown at me which hit me on the back of the head, so they moved me to Painswick, which is a place never heard of. But found out that I had a lot of relatives living in the Village which by the School at the end of the Village before you go down the hill, just in side the church yard right by the wall you will find the family tomb, as for the House I found out that it was built by my Great-Great-Great grand father and that I was named after him he was called Francis, as is my name but after a lot of teasing I started using my middle name. Sorry can't put to much info on as I don't know a lot. However I will look up as much as I can and post it on here. Maybe you can shed some light on the goings on at Gyde House. Mainly names, as since I found this site by accident I am now a lot more interested in finding out the past.

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#39 [url]

Nov 29 13 11:57 PM

Hi Will,
Thanks for sharing that with us. I think that you are going to be one of the most unique members on this site having lived in a house with a family connection. I am afraid I do not have any information myself but through this post I ask Clive who is our historian if he has any information on it.

Roy

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Nov 30 13 1:32 PM

Thanks

Thanks Roy, I think it would be great to hear from Clive on the History of Gyde House, it's staff and children, of whom I call my extended family. When I left I was really sad, I did not want to go, and many times ask my father if I can go back. How I miss the good times, all the friends that I made. Any way again thanks for suggesting the help from Clive who I am sure will help me in my quest.

Bill

Last Edited By: Will Dec 3 13 8:02 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help