Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

Lead

Apr 28 11 4:12 PM

Tags : :

LINCOLN Steep Hill House, Steep Hill, Lincoln LN2 1LT
General branch for 12 children In the heart of old Lincoln, close to the cathedral, a substantial eighteenth-century house set in a sloping triangular garden overhung by a mulberry tree is the Lincoln branch of the National Children’s Home.
A modern wing has been added to the old house and there is an excellent modern recreation room in the grounds.
There is a warm, family atmosphere to help boys to overcome their difficulties and good support is being received from the local community.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 19 13 1:34 AM

I (Kevin Blow known as Tyson at the time), was a resident for approx 18 months before moving to Evenly Hall near Brackley in Northamptonshire. I attended St Faiths Middle School with another resident ?Karl Hunt, when Miss Brocket was the headmistress in the mid 1970's.

Whilst living in the home I recall we appeared to have a lot of freedom to explore eg cathedral and norman keep - back in the days when you didn't have to pay/make suggested donation. One of my abiding memories was walking to school in shorts, even in the middle of winter. The garden was a good vantage point to pelt people below with snow balls. lol. The only member of staff I can remember is a Miss Joyce though there are others I can picture but not recall. Summer Holidays were at sutton on sea - we stayed in a ?church. We also went to mablethorpe and stayed in a caravan. I recall getting locked in the amusement arcade by accident on the caravan site we stayed at.

The home is now private dwellings with the games room turned into a bungalow and the entrance is gated, though I did get to go into the ground some years ago. As far as I can recall the mulberry tree is still there.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Oct 8 15 9:04 AM

i was there also

i am jonathan darnbrough, my sister nichola darnbrough we stayed there for 1 or 2 years in the early 70's when i was about 5 years old . A Mrs Whitehead was the headmistress, and as far as i can remember i was petrified of her. i played in the rec room and cut my head open running and sliding underneath the table tennis table. I fell many a time running down the hill outside, those cobbles had it in for me. there was a joke shop at the bottom of the hill.
That mulberry tree i remember very well,  also the house ladies hanging up the bed sheets on the line and me running through them and colliding with another boy running the other way

Last Edited By: jddarnbrough Oct 8 15 9:21 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help