Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

Lead

Jun 8 11 1:34 PM

Tags : :

THE LINK IS NOW REVISED

http://www.actionforchildren.org.uk/our-services/adoption-fostering-and-children-in-care/records-and-support

Philip
-----------------------------------------
The NCH will still have your file, if you would to see it.
Please contact
Action for Children
Business Admin Support Officer
Performance Improvement and Inclusion Division
3 The Boulevard
Ascot Road
Watford WD18 8AG
UK

The link is

http://www.actionforchildren.org.uk/our-services/adoption-fostering-and-children-in-care/records-and-support

YOUR NCH RECORDS
Since 1869 NCH has cared for tens of thousands of children who spent all or part of their early lives at NCH homes in England, Wales, Canada and Australia. ACTION FOR CHILDREN (The new name of the NCH)  holds, in the strictest confidence, personal information on most people who lived in an NCH Home.

Who can get access to personal records?
Knowing who you are and where you come from is important to everyone. NCH has always been happy to share information with anyone who requests it, and because we are committed to openness and recognise the importance of family identity we are very happy for former residents to have access to any personal information we may hold concerning them.
Please visit

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 15 11 4:11 PM

HI All!
Some good news!  I am finally going to be receiving the complete set of files for myself AND my sister from Action for Children!  It has taken some time, partly because of their move, partly because of my being in the U.S., and the important other members of the family scattered abroad as well!
I hear it's going to be a lot of new material, which I'm hoping will fill in some of the gaps in our history, and hopefully settle as much as can be settled about our time in the NCH.  It has been quite a process, and emotional rollercoaster for me--but I do feel it was right to pursue it, and feel enormous relief that the hurdles have been cleared.  I asked for the originals, also, so we'll see what happens. I should be receiving the package in the next couple of weeks.
Phew!  Quite a relief...
Best,
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 15 11 11:13 PM

There will be a special page entitled "Shelagh's Files", we all expect it to be well used.
Philip

-philip

Wottt????  Wow!!!!  Oh no!  Philip, what are you thinking????  You'll be sorreeee....

Shelagh

tic

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#5 [url]

Jun 16 11 12:04 AM

Shelagh,
Philip forgot to say that marks will be awarded for accuracy ,content and continuity, and like the panel game, deducted for repitition and deviation.

ha  -  ha

Roy

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#6 [url]

Jun 16 11 10:26 AM

Roy,
It would be unfair to deduct points for repitition, all NCH paperwork was done in triplicate.
It would be unfair to deduct points for repitition, all NCH paperwork was done in triplicate.

One for the Branch, one for the Regional office and one for Highbury, you might be lucky and now find all three copies in your file, unless they were sorted before the photocopy was done for you.

Philip

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jun 16 11 1:11 PM

Oh Lordy! I just hope they don't send everything in triplicate!  I'm confused enough already, even if I have lived nine lives (well, eight and a half at this point, I think). I've asked for originals of everything except the files I've already received about "just me", but then again I want originals of the photos that were in that group, anyway. So far my helper has been very nice.  I'd better tread carefully now...I offered to pay some of the freight.  Maybe that will help?
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#9 [url]

Jun 16 11 1:41 PM

Shelagh,
I have also done a second lisiting on the Private group, for the real truth and words, that the ordinary mortals who have not yet got their files would be able to understand.

Philip

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#10 [url]

Jun 16 11 4:31 PM

Shelagh,
Yor spellin is uhtrowshus skuryiing is speld A M B L E.

Royston

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

#11 [url]

Jun 16 11 4:44 PM

How many members are bringing heir mobility scooters, we may need to get extra charging points.
Who will be the first to plug directly into the printing works three phase supply.
Reccomended journey time from printing works to middle of boys woods, about 30 seconds.

Philip

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#12 [url]

Jun 16 11 4:47 PM

Members can enter the Highfield mystery words competition.
Bring  mystery page (6 monthly report) from your file with your name and the Sisters and House name blanked out (a new photocopy of a page) and we will see if if it can be guessed who wrote what.

Philip

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jul 28 11 12:32 PM

woo hoo !!!! FINALLY, im going to get access to my files on 16th August, having been told my files were in Watford, then Scotland, then Birmingham, they are with AFC here in Wales(Cardiff), makes me rather apprehensive a little, as im not sure what will be uneathed.
 I assume they photocopy them and send me the originals(is that correct?), im going to look at them obviously first, but hoping it will not take long to send me the originals.
 1 thing im not sure of is photographs, as i was in care with my 3 sisters, im not sure if they will release any of us together without their permission, as for the ones of me by myself,(if any), i would assume i will get these, any advice is welcome.
 I will share my experience with you all just as soon as i can.
Take Care All

John

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#15 [url]

Jul 28 11 1:08 PM

John,
Normally you will see the original file at the meeting (or copies of pages if there has been information removed) , if there are any personal NON NCH item eg school reports, family photographs etc, these you will be able to take away. If you would like copies of any of the items (documents) you have seen, these will be done and sent on later to you by post.
If however the file was copied in total and this is what you have been shown, then you will probably be able to take it away.
Normally the NCH (Action For Children) will keep the original physical documents: Six Monthly reports, file copies of parental or court agreements etc.
The items that might be removed from the documents you see, will releate to other members of your family if they are thought to still be living. These can be requested later if you provide information about the death of any third-party person.

There are other items you can request that might not be in your original file, but still exist in other locations, copies can be sent onto you later without an extra visit. Medical records if your Home had its own Hospital, punishment records (canings only) and if the Home you were in still had its accident book.

Good Luck, it will take a few days after your meeting for it to start to sink in, then weeks after you have the copies from your file to work out how life progressed for you while you were in care.

Philip

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Aug 12 11 8:56 PM

Hi All, well my big day arrived, so off me and the Wife went to Cardiff to see my files. I must admit, i was somewhat apprehensive about what i would see, but not scared, as the past cant hurt, may come back and bite me on the rear. So 11 am and into the room we went, and the Councillor(name withheld) had my long awaited file.
 The wife to my left, Councillor to my right, and hey presto, "here it is John", looking back now,,,,disappointed really!!! Councillor did say my file was rather thick, but having to remove information, i was left with a file about an inch thick.
 This contained my admission date, leaving date, mostly school reports, a couple of 6 monthly reports, and really very little else.
 No mention of getting the cane, running away to Whitby and being brought back to Scarborough at 3 in the morning by Police. No mention of the fights i got into, and lots of other things that will jog my memory as time goes by.
 I did excel on some things at school, coming first in class in R.E now that DID surprise me, as i cant recall being religious, albeit going to church every sunday.
 It also didnt surprise me about the lack of parental visits, or letters, but an hour ago, my elder sister told me she visited a few occasions(not mentioned). So all in all, a bit of a let down, but will be worth it when i actually have the file, its just a shame i cant get permission from my 3 sisters who were in care with me so i can obtain more information.
The biggest disappointment was when i asked if there were any photographs, to which i was told, "there was 1, but cant be seen as other people were on it. I was dumbfounded to learn that only 1 existed. Can i ask Philip a question here," i read often of archives in Liverpool University on here, would any of my information possibly be held there?, and if so, how would i go about obtaining it?"
 I have my case "number" now so trawling for info should be a lot easier, i think i just need a helping hand on the way.
 There is lots more i would think to come from me, but as you will imagine, my minds in a bit of a turmoil at present, not knowing wheether to be satisfied or not...or do i quote Neil Morrisey when he said, The case is never closed", i just hope i can get some more info to help me close mine!!!..

Quote from on of my reports....John has become an Idle child....made me laugh!!!

Take Care my Friends

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#17 [url]

Aug 12 11 9:48 PM

John,
The main part of the archives has now moved to Action for Children at Watford,  finding your file should now be easier now. There are 50,000 personal files.

For own file click on this
www.actionforchildren.org.uk/our-services/adoption-fostering-and-children-in-care/records-and-support

In time it is hoped to do something with the many hundreds of photos that were taken by the NCH and for the NCH,
Some get published in the Ex NCH members magazine, but they don't put name, just the branch info, so keep watching the magazine, you might be lucky in seeing a group photo with you in it.

If it was not an NCH home, you would need to go to the local council in that area
or contact Care Leavers
http://www.careleavers.com/

Good luck with your hunt.

Philip

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#19 [url]

Aug 15 11 6:17 PM

If you are not on the mailing list, please contact/email for them to be sent to you.
extended.family@actionforchildren.org.uk

------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any stories, photos etc.,  you would like published by Action For Children in their newsletter, please email them in to the above address
If your grammer ain't 100% don't worry, they can correct it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Philip

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Aug 17 11 10:29 AM

Thank you for the very helpful reply Philip, sorry its taken so long to respond, as work and home life , hectic at the moment.
I had a conversation yesterday with the counsellor, who told me my file should be with me in the next few days, i then asked her "can you Blank out the names of my sisters(as this is stopping the release)?, or do i have to be formal and contact watford?, to this she replied that "she couldnt see a problem in doing that" and would have a word with her "boss" to get clearance, i thought long and hard about doing this, but felt i had to, as just school reports, and i think 3, 6 monthly reports dont go far enough and i think there is a huge gap there to be filled in, i know i could put names to the blanks in the sentences, so fingers crossed here that she is given the go ahead to do this.
 I live in hope!!

Take care People

John

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help