So counting down the days.
Good Luck.

Philip

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#24 [url]

Apr 13 12 12:05 AM

Hi Philip!!
A couple of questions for you, re getting your files.  I now have a ot of mine and my sister's, but the last email I got from a person at Action for Children said:  "We have now sent you all that we are able to send you." 

That left two questions in my mind I didn't follow up on, and maybe should have:
1) Are there things they are not  "able to send"?
I'd appreciate any knowledge or clarification you might have about this.

2) and if so, what would they be?
Again, what do you suppose this could be?

There do seem to be large gaps between one thing and the next.
It could be the files were like that--a bit hit and miss?

Many thanks if you can help me here.
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

dave

superstar

#25 [url]

Apr 13 12 7:31 AM

Hi Shelagh!
Philip will probably answer better than I but some things relating to 3rd parties will not be sent or seen. I have some blanks in mine including names blanked out. I suspect it is more difficult for you being overseas as you would not be able to see the file first. Even then I had things erased before being allowed to see them. The gentleman who was with me during my initial viewing of the notes was very much of the old school and was not as strict as some I have heard about. However that may not be the whole reason for your large gaps. I was amazed at what had been kept in mine including little hand written note on a scrap of paper.

Dave

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#26 [url]

Apr 13 12 7:51 AM

Shelagh,
It might be worth a second contact with the Watford department , asking them to take a fresh look at your file, and if in your file there is anything regarding the following people.
Then list the names of all the people that are now dead and any rough dates of death, who might have had contact with you and the NCH whilst you were in care, shortly before you were in care, and after you left care.
----------------
Also ask them for copies of any FULL pages that you have not been shown, that have third party information, with this information removed.

A second look at your file might bring a slighty different result, if there is anything left out, but with all our records there are parts that were never saved and odd items just filed away because the info was around at the time.

Every file is different.

Philip

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Apr 13 12 12:02 PM

Hi Philip and Dave!
Many thanks for your responses to my files questions!
I'm sure it's different with each person, but I had never thought to ask about people who are now gone--besides my sister, that is--so that could yield some additional things. I'll write again to the lady in Watford who was very nice and helpful to the degree she was able, I'm sure.  But I realise that at some point, I just may have to settle for the info and memories I do have, and let the rest go, whatever it was.  I will never have all the information I might like, this late in the day!
Trusting you are all well.
I've just recently come back from a great time in Berkeley, California--had a wonderful time with my family there!
Best,
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Aug 17 12 7:42 PM

Please send me my records from NCH at Harpenden.  My name is Alan Shepherd and I was in care at Highfield oval between 1955 - 1969 and lived at OGB Downstairs No. 6 with Sister Winfred Hankin and then Sister Marion Markworth.

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#29 [url]

Aug 17 12 10:03 PM

Alan,
Follow the link and then send in the form to the address.
If you have any problems please let me know, it can take several months due to the number of requests at any one time.

Good Luck,

Philip

Please contactAction for Children
Business Admin Support Officer
Performance Improvement and Inclusion Division
3 The Boulevard
Ascot Road
Watford WD18 8AG

www.actionforchildren.org.uk/our-services/adoption-fostering-and-children-in-care/records-and-support

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Aug 18 12 1:39 PM

Please send me my records from NCH at Harpenden.  My name is Alan Shepherd and I was in care at Highfield oval between 1955 - 1969 and lived at OGB Downstairs No. 6 with Sister Winfred Hankin and then Sister Marion Markworth.

-alinden4

Hi Alan!
I remember Sister Winifred.  But I think Sister Marion must have been after my time at Highfield.  I left there in 1952.
Good luck with getting your files.  It can take quite a while, as Philip says, but some people have been lucky enough to get them very quickly.
Best,
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#32 [url]

Oct 13 12 1:32 PM

I got my files quite a few years ago via the Barnardo's Charity.  I went to an office they had near the old Princess Alice Drive site in Birmingham.  I was very emotional reading them and even more so when they said I could take them away with me.  It has been about 20 years since i collected them and I still get them out and read them from time to time.  Even though all these years on they still make for some very difficult reading they are still a piece of the jigsaw that is my life and something to be treasured.

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#33 [url]

Oct 13 12 5:48 PM

Hi All  I asked for my files about a year ago ,I have just had a email saying I am now 3rd on the list and should get them in about 5 weeks ,why that long if I'm 3rd beats me but at least it's progress .Regards to all Malc S

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Oct 24 12 10:24 PM

I got to see my file (after my mom died) in October 2010 and they gave me a copy.  like you I had siblings so was not able to take the whole file,  the only photo I have of Maylodge is with a giant Easteregg and about 15 other kids and Mr Graham.  Apart from that the only other photo I had taken as a child was one school photo when I was about 6.   I remember hols in Whitby, don't recall your name.  

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Oct 26 12 6:19 PM

Hi, nice to have someone from May Lodge...i too was there, but left in 1969,,,, i dont have your name so cant recall,,Mr and Mrs Graham were still there when i left....my 3 sisters were still there at the same time

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Nov 7 12 8:54 PM

Hi, I requested for mine and my sister's files around August this year; I received mine within about 2/3 weeks and my sister's took just a little longer. (I hope you get yours sooner than later!). It was nice to read my records - I felt quite emotional as memories came up. I have realised how lucky my sister and I were as we knew our family and used to see them regularly, so there were no missing links, although there were one or two issues that were cleared up for me and which helped me understand certain decisions, etc.

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Apr 5 13 3:48 PM

Hope you find the contents of your file as interesting as I found mine and that it answers any questions which remain unanswered. Good luck!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help