Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

Lead

Jul 1 11 11:33 AM

Tags : :

We are open to all who were in the NCH either as children or as staff, we also welcome any relatives who had parents or children in the NCH.

Please feel free to post your thoughts about your life with the NCH.
If you find any item that causes offence, please let me know by use of the Private Message system.
It should be remembered that as this is an open group, all the public are able to see what has been posted. So please use only first names, and no email addresses in postings.
-----------------------------
To join you should find a link near the top of the page to join the main Lefora group of groups.
All they will ask is Name and email addres, there is no need to offer other info other than possibly the country where you are based.

On our own group, there is a members page to tell us a little more about yourself, you can at a later date update your Lefora information with any info you feel happy to let anyone know about yourself.

Due to a few strange people that join and then post odd items, would you please post something early either as a message or on your own listing page as to why you are interested in the site.
If you don't make any contact within the first few weeks, we will remove you from the listing.

Any problems either send me a message or post it on the questions page.

my email is
theirhistory@ntlworld.com

Philip

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

#1 [url]

Feb 23 12 10:46 PM

Please write in standard English.
For most of the group, this will not be a problem, the average age is 40- 60, many of who are just getting used to sending work in via a computer rather than a manual typewriter and paper.

It would help if capital letters could be used for names, etc.
A few . and , thrown in for good measure and the odd C/R (the funny big button that us shaped like an inverted L on English keyboards) used from time to time.
Spelling and grammer mistakes are of little importance,  just tell it as it is, and most of us will understand.
The following is more for the younger members, please do not use phone text type words, it gives us older (persons who pass wind) problems whilst we try and work out what you is saying man.
Although not a problem on this group, some ex child care groups with younger members are starting to send messages of what looks to be gibberish to us older folks.

Thanks,

Philip

PS To the younger generation.
The words you use on your phones are not really new.
In the 1970s Speedwrite was promoted for those who did not have the time to learn shorthand.
Written  mostly in lowercase, it had many of the ideas that later became used in texting, all those years before the mobile text phone was invented.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Feb 23 12 11:45 PM

Sadly, Philip, many of those of more recent vintage simply do not know how to construct a finite sentence, and the latter day emergence of "textspeak" has compounded the problem. This is not always their fault. English Grammar as a school subject ceased to be taught some time ago, and very many do not know an adjective from an iPod, or a noun gerund from a giraffe. Now, with Gormless Gove as Education Secretary, thrusting the scourge of commercially sponsored schools upon us, communication will be reduced to Saatchi & Saatchi sloganspeak. I heard some silly woman from Thornton's on the radio the other day, twittering on about chocolate "flavour profiles". This is the frightful future we face. Doctor Johnson must be rotating in his grave at high speed like a turbine.

Roger.

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#3 [url]

Feb 24 12 7:48 AM

Roger,
In today's Daily Mail (I'm always a day ahead of them) there is a story that many companies who take on school leavers have to re-educate them into how to talk to people, as they often find this difficult, they would rather sent a text or email, even to a person sat a few feet waway from them.

As for the lady from Thornton's, I would like to send her a present, a full size dead rat, one of it's friends has just scoffed 2kg of my Thornton's mint chocolates, from the small size of the hole on my tuck box, I take it that it removed them one by one, during one night, now that could be a very hard working employee which I could understand.

Philip

PS
Re the 2kg of chocolates.
I'm a diabetic - I just like to look at them - honest

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jul 21 12 2:52 AM

hi i am a bit lost as to finding my way around this forum and dont even know if posting here is what i am supost to do? regards angie ex nch child

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

#7 [url]

Sep 28 13 7:52 AM

To any poster,
If you ever get a warning that you are to be banned, please take it as that and please do not rejoin the site under any other name.

Thanks.

Philip

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help