Remove this ad

#221 [url]

Apr 14 13 6:17 PM

Hi Heinz ! Congratulations from Norway as well i hope you and your family & friends have a very lovely day on your Golden Wedding Anniversary.
Very Best Wishes   Terry& Rigmor

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

malsal

superstar

#222 [url]

May 10 13 5:25 PM

Hi all nature lovers time of the year for spring flowers ,and for ME a ban on cutting the lawn as the violets  are taking over .We where given them by our Aunty when she was alive and they grow every where except where we want them ,and I am banned from mowing the lawn while they are flowering .Hope they last a long time and you are all full of the joys of Spring .Regards to all. Malc S

Honestly those blue smudges are are violets ,just the photographer isn't very good

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#227 [url]

May 13 13 2:42 PM

Hi 
    Dave thanks you have given me an idea ,I'v got a lot left and only £2 a score .Di I don't remember being on spud duty much ,but remember donning dusters to my feet a lot to polish the hall,I haven't told Lesley though or she would set me on. Roy much prefer the real thing to plastic .hope  all are keeping well and not overdoing in the garden ,Regards  Malc S
oh Lesley's on the allotment ,but I'm busy trying to sort the computer out as it crashed and we have lost every thing that was on it , there you are got out of work again.       

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#229 [url]

May 14 13 3:08 PM

Hi Malc S, what a skiver, hope you get your computer fixed though.  I'm beginning to think the dusters tied to feet for polishing the hall, must have been a N C H sport, but in our house it had an added attraction due to the wind up gramophone & my record of 'Everybody Razzle Dazzle' by Bill Hayley & the Comets.  We'd set off at breakneck speed, then s l o w e r and s  l  o  w  e    r   as the gramophone wound down.  Of course there was the bumper, a staple instrument of the N C H which we've all mentioned previously.  love Di

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#230 [url]

May 14 13 6:29 PM

Hi Di I had a windup as well along with a lot of old records like Animal Crackers in my soup till we found the delight of hitting each other over the head with the to break them ,BUMPER ? I wasn't trained on them .
Roy you have to be very devious to think of that .   Malc S 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#231 [url]

May 16 13 9:57 AM

Happy Birthday to   MALC S  17th May . This is the day of no gardening Malc  i hope you manage a trip to Beer only and have a nice afternoon with Lesley. Whatever you get up to  have a really great day   HAPPY BIRTHDAY MALC .

Terry & Rigmor

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#232 [url]

May 16 13 11:48 AM

HI Terry & Rigmor thanks for your greetings ,yes we will be going out for dinner but not to Just Beer they don't serve food .I have had emails with vouchers for a free bottle of wine from "Oak Tree" and "Widecombe Fair" ,so we are going for a trial run so 2 no washing up day oh joy .Hope you and Rigmor are both well  regards Malc & Lesley  

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#233 [url]

May 16 13 10:59 PM

Hi Terry  had a nice dinner and bottle of wine along with a pint of Harvest Pale Ale ,the meal was a COD Father and chips pea's a monster of a fish but still managed a Blackberry and crumble ,going to the Oak Tree tomorrow .What have you two been doing Lesley sends her greeting to Rigmor has she spent up at the shop's yet  take care  Love Malc and Lesley

Quote    Reply   

#234 [url]

Jun 6 13 2:44 PM

Hello Fairfielders,
I was doing the remembering thing the other day and the Roycrofts came to mind.
We know that Pop and Brian are gone after many years of caring for children, but does anybody know about Mrs Roycroft and Hilary?.

Take care
Malc T

Quote    Reply   

#235 [url]

Jun 6 13 5:50 PM

Hi Malc T ! I would very much think that if Mrs Roycroft was still alive she would have had all ex Fairfielders for choir practice prior to our reunion. Somebody mentioned at a Highbury reunion a few years ago that  Hilary had been in a very bad traffic accident , i do not know anymore than that i am sure however that somebody will have more info.
Regards Terry

Quote    Reply   

#236 [url]

Jun 7 13 1:28 PM

Hi Malcolm,

As far as I have been able to ascertain, Mrs Roycroft (born Florence Winifred Ashmole in Swansea in 1906), died in Exeter in June 1989. I believe Pop and Mrs R originally retired to Swansea, the city where they had been married in 1931. It is possible, that they may subsequently have made another move to Devonshire after Hilary's road accident.  I think I was told at the 2011 Harrogate reunion that Hilary was being cared for in a nursing home in that county.  There's a strong possibility that Hilary is still alive. 

Dorle.

Quote    Reply   

#237 [url]

Jun 7 13 7:04 PM

Thank You Terry and Dorle.
I assumed Mrs roycroft had passed away but I had not heard about Hilary's accident. How sad.
I know She was a few years older than me and I'll never forget Her being in the choir at the same time. Hilary had a husky voice and one practise Dear Mrs Roycroft stopped us and said, "Whose that singing out like a newspaper boy". Of course none of us were going to tell her it was Hilary!.
A very nice Girl who always joined in the activities of us kids.
Thanks again
Take care
Malc T

Quote    Reply   

clive

superstar

#238 [url]

Jun 8 13 8:06 AM

Dear Dorle,

Thanks for your message and for your thorough research.

When Mr Roycroft retired as Superintendent of the NCH Harpenden Branch during the 1969 Centenary Year, he and Mrs Roycroft moved to live in Swansea and were frequent visitors to "Killay House", the Swansea Branch of the NCH, where Sister Sybil M Perrott, FTCL, LRAM was the Sister in Charge, having previously served and worked with Mr Roycroft at the NCH Harrogate Branch. 

Mr Eric Ashmole, served on the NCH Swansea Branch Committee and Mr Roycroft had his cars from Mr Ashmole's business and I think there are photographs on this site or possibly an NCH publicity film featuring Mr Roycroft and his car including the old Swansea vehicle registration mark CY or WN.

Best wishes,

Clive 

Quote    Reply   

#239 [url]

Jun 8 13 2:38 PM

Hello Clive,

Thank you for indicating that I was on the right track, and for adding some further information of interest regarding the Roycroft family.

It's strange how a question like Malcolm T's, can suddenly stir up an ancient memory, and bring a name back to mind.  During the latter part of my time at Fairfield, I spent some weeks as a Saturday morning helper in the Roycroft household.  One of the tasks was to clean the dining room silver. On one occasion as I was cleaning an engraved salver, I commented  on the fine  quality of the workmanship. Mrs. Roycroft said it had belonged to her parents, and had been inscribed by a craftsman from Swansea. I can no longer recall the actual wording, but her family name stuck in my mind. 

Your mention of the Roycrofts' visits to Killay House, where Sister Sybil Perrott LRAM, was in charge in the late 1960s, immediately cranked the memory process into action once more.  Sister Sybil, when she  first came to Harrogate in the early 1950s, acted as Sister Beth Heggie's 'second in command' at Rowanlea.  It was during a time when I was receiving piano lessons. How she must have cringed at hearing me plodding through my practice exercises on the sitting room piano! 

I also found your reference to Mr. Eric Ashmole interesting, particularly the fact that Mr. Roycroft's cars always came from the Ashmole car dealing business in Swansea. To my shame, I still remember being car sick en route to Whitby in Mr. Roycroft's black Austin, registration number - DCY 433.

What has impressed me most is, when adding Mr.Eric Ashmole's service with the NCH in Swansea to Pop Roycroft's long NCH service,and not fogetting that Brian Roycroft also played a pivotal role  in child wefare in Newcastle, the effort and dedication that this one family has given over many years,to bettering the lot of disadvantaged children, is truly remarkable.

Dorle                                 ,

Quote    Reply   

#240 [url]

Jun 8 13 3:20 PM

Hello Dorle.
I cannot remember that !.  The fact that Sister Sybil was in Rowanlea in the early fities. I was there of course, having moved from the Nursery at 3 years old, that makes it '47, and into Sister Beths care. I had to put up with you girls fussing over me as I slept in the girls dorm until I was six .
 The irony is that when Sister Beth retired in '58, Sister Sybil took over in Rowanlea for my last year there. She was the one who took me to the Station and put me on the train.
 I loved her piano playing and put it down to her that I still love classical piano pieces as well as the pop music of my youth.
Take care
Malc T

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help