Remove this ad

dianaw

superstar

#241 [url]

Jun 10 13 9:36 AM

Hi Malc T, Dorle & Terry & all,

I remember talking to Brian Roycroft at a reunion in Wesley Chapel Hall around 1989/1990 & asked him how Hilary was doing after hearing of her accident quite a few years earlier.  Brian said that unfortunately Hilary was in a nursing home & confined to bed & wheelchair in a vegetative state & therefore had put on a lot of weight.  Hilary was quite a young woman when she had the accident, although I don't know any of the details. Such a shame for a lovely young woman with her future ahead of her.

Once when Mr & Mrs Roycroft went away for a few days, I stayed with Hilary to keep her company & although I would have been a couple of years older, we had a great time, being looked after by Dotty Downing.  The highlight for me was the thrill of watching tele (we didn't have one in No. 2) & in particular watching 'Wuthering Heights'.  I had to keep my head turned away from them both, as the tears were flowing.
love Di

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

dianaw

superstar

#242 [url]

Jun 10 13 9:40 AM

Hi All,

Unfortunately I won't be organising a reunion this year, due to commitments, but I do hope to be back in full swing for next September. Sorry.  love Di

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#243 [url]

Jun 17 13 7:40 PM

Hi All,  We now have a Doctor in the family, our youngest granddaughter Lucy has qualified with distinction as a dentist, yipee.  love Di

Quote    Reply   

#244 [url]

Jun 17 13 11:55 PM

Well Done Lucy.
  I wonder if she's realized yet that she will have a list of freebie patients!.
Grand Parents first Di !. Shame theres no reunion this year, I'd have come over for the cut price job.
I wish her well Di.
Love
Malc T

Quote    Reply   

#245 [url]

Jun 18 13 12:55 PM

Hi Di,

I's wonderful news about Lucy's brilliant qualification!  Please pass on our congratulations to her.  It says as much  about her determination and dedication as her obvious ability, that she has done so well.  A 5 year training at uni/dental school is quite an achievement, particularly when there are so many social distractions around.  I hope that her foundation year goes equally well.  Sisters, parents, cousins, not forgetting the grandparents must be so very proud.  I can see another celebration party looming on the horizon!
                                              Love
                                                         Dorle.

Quote    Reply   

#246 [url]

Jun 18 13 1:35 PM

Hi Malcolm T,

You are quite right to challenge me about the veracity of Sister Sybil having spent some time at Rowanlea before 1958. Like most people I make mistakes, and am willing to stand corrected if I have made one on this occasion. I was referring to a time around 1953, when you would be coming up for your 9th birthday. It was after Sister Beth had been unwell with a severe bout of tonsillitis. I remember that she had had throat trouble for a while. Every day she used to gargle with TCP, and to this day I associate that distinctive aroma with her. She also frequently sucked throat lozenges during the Sunday morning service at Trinity Church. Before she was due to have the operation, she told us that she would be going into hospital to have a tonsillectomy. She said that after the operation she would need to spend some time away from us, to rest and recuperate because adults took longer to heal than those of us kids who had had the same op. We were told another sister was coming to help out.   I still think it was Sister Sybil. According to my NCH reports, I was receiving piano lessons at the time.
If you are still in touch with Sheila (Crisp), you could maybe check this out with her.  Her brother Brian had left Fairfield by that time.

I was aware that on Sister Beth's retirement in 1958, Sister Sybil would be taking her place at Rowanlea. As a matter, of fact Sister Beth told me about it herself. She spent a couple of days in Durham to pay me a visit at Neville's Cross College, before heading north to Bishopbriggs near Glasgow, to live with her cousin, Helen Ross. In my file, I have a copy of a letter I wrote to Mr. Jacka in September 1953, telling him all about her visit.
                                                                                   Dorle.

Quote    Reply   

#247 [url]

Jun 18 13 6:54 PM

Hello Dorle,
You have such a good memory !. I'm sure you are correct about Sister Sybil, it's funny how the memory works, some things stand out others have faded. The memory that you have stirred is Sister Beth having to leave us and have surgery, I can recall having feelings of abandonment, ie, will She come back?, how long is She gone for?, such was my attachment to the only 'Mother' I knew,  Yes the smell of TCP and her sucking on the lozenges stands out clearly and always that little cough.

Her actual retirement was quite traumatic for me at 14 years old as I've described here before. 
I was able to visit Her in Bishopbriggs when I was sixteen, still a very green and shy boy (as I am now)!. She and Her cousin made me very welcome with tea and real Scottish scones, I cant recall thier real name. then a lovely dinner later. We talked  a lot and I found it easier to leave Her that time.
Thanks for the memory Dorle.
Take Care
Malc

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#248 [url]

Jun 19 13 6:52 PM

Hi Malc T & Dorle,

Thanks for your good wishes & I'll pass them on to Lucy.  Obviously we are all very proud.  I don't know about the freebies Malc, there's a hefty student loan hanging about in the background, but at least my daughter & son in law will find finances easier now.  love Di 

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#249 [url]

Jun 19 13 7:06 PM

Hi Dorle,

Your memories of Sister Beth brought back a reminder to me of Sister Edith, who was always sucking mints.  Just after I left No. 2, Sister suffered a hemorrhage from a perforated stomach ulcer & I remember going through to Ilkley on the bus to visit her in hospital.  I think she must have been suffering from stomach ulcers for a long time & maybe that was the reason for the mints.   love Di

Quote    Reply   

#250 [url]

Jun 20 13 12:23 PM

Hi Di,

In regard to the sisters and their health problems, I think that most of the time they were so busy caring for their charges, that their own health took second place.

The fact that Sister Edith never sought medical help, and tried to ease her discomfort by sucking mints until her condition became an emergency,showed her stoicism and dedication.  It was also foolhardy, and  makes me wonder whether the NCH ever required their staff to undergo regular medical check ups. Sister Edith's perforated ulcer could so easily have resulted in her premature demise.  Luckily for all her Hartley family at the time and her much loved old boys and girls like yourself, she lived on into her nineties. T

That particular generation of sisters was cast into a stern and unsentimental mould. Their motto seemed to be, when difficulties come your way, face up to them without moaning and just keep on going.  There's one thing for certain, they don't make them like that anymore!

Love
                                                                  Dorle

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

malsal

superstar

#251 [url]

Jul 15 13 10:18 PM

Hi all seems to have been quiet on the Harrogate front.so I'll bore you all with the weather ,hasn't it been great ,the veg and flowers are growing well which reminds me of the Valley Gardens .The flowers not the veg .Well hope all is well with you and your gardens .Regards to you all   Malc S

just thought I'd share this bright spot in our garden

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#253 [url]

Jul 16 13 9:06 AM

Your Alstroemeria certainly makes a bright splash of colour in your garden, Malcolm.
Our roses are doing well this year, although they soon fade in this hot sunshine.

Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#256 [url]

Jul 16 13 9:23 PM

HI Jennifer!
Nice to see you back here!  I've been gone myself for quite a while.  This is a beautiful rose!  An exotic French one, no doubt, with an exotic French name?  Lovely pic! :-)
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

#258 [url]

Jul 16 13 10:17 PM

Hi Jennifer,
It's great to have you back on the forum.  We've missed your knowledgeable input.  Hope all is well with you both.  We were at the Watford reunion on the 6th, and someone was asking how you were getting on.
Thanks for posting that  study in pink and green.  The rose has a lovely silken sheen to it.  Although pink is not a colour I am naturally drawn to, nature's greens  have a wonderful way of harmonising shapes, textures and shades.  It would be lovely to see some more examples of your local flora and fauna, when you have time.

Dorle.

Quote    Reply   

#259 [url]

Oct 6 13 10:06 PM

hard going

Hi Jen hope this mail gets though ,I'm finding hard going on the new site .Anyway in case it gets through hope you are both well and the garden is ready for the winter . Love and regards  Malc S and Lesley 

Quote    Reply   

#260 [url]

Oct 13 13 7:01 PM

what's up with our site will we ever be able  to converse with each other again ,I'm having trouble to and from the lack of letters so are a lot of other's .Malc S 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help