Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Aug 9 11 9:44 AM

Hi Di & Dave  I have recently been thinking of our forthcoming reunion and the possibility of the BBC being there, i would therefore like to suggest that if they do come some cd ,s could be made for those of us who live abroad and perhaps some photos as well at our expense of course, just a thought. ?
Terry

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

malsal

superstar

#22 [url]

Aug 9 11 10:59 AM

Hi Terry ,I don't know if the BBC would be interested in little old us , but I think CD's and Photo's are a great Idea to remember our great reunion , and I think it will be a GOOD reunion .Hope you are well and looking forward to meeting you regards Malc

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Aug 9 11 11:58 AM

Hi Malc ! I think it is a good idea to and we always have something to remember. However when BBC film what side of our faces are best Malc? we can,t let the team down. Anyway i am looking forward to seeing you and no doubt a few pints of TETLEYS. Take care
Terry

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#24 [url]

Aug 9 11 12:50 PM

Hi Terry ,perhaps from the back but I must remember to have a hair cut ,yes I still have some not much just enough to shade the solar panel .     Malc

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#25 [url]

Aug 9 11 1:27 PM

Hi Terry, Malc S & Malc T,  I thought it was just the ladies who worried about their appearance!   Now, what are you going to wear?  plus the saying "Does my B look big in this"  comes to mind.  Only joking, can't believe just a month to go. 

David is in charge of the BBC & if they are going to attend with cameras, I will make sure someone in my family will record it.  We have 12 people who would like to attend Trinity Church to date.
love Di

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Aug 9 11 1:42 PM

Hi Di ! I hope that includes me, mind you i don,t want to be no 13, i am really looking forward to coming now,i can,t wait, i keep getting bombarded with offers from East coast rail since i booked my ticket to Harrogate, perhaps they want me to come back very quickly.
Love Terry X

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#27 [url]

Aug 9 11 1:50 PM

Di,
              Please dont give those lads ideas, you would'nt want them in off the shoulder little black numbers - or would you?

Roy

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Aug 9 11 2:49 PM

Hi All ! Can any of you remember the garage just past Barton  i think there was a shop there as well. I used to get all my inertubes from there ready for Whitby or Scarborough or St Anns lovely memories.
Terry

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Aug 9 11 3:00 PM

I think I MIGHT remember it Terry, if it was just past where I went to nursery school ?  Was the shop on the corner of a T-junction, and if you carried straight on down the road you'd arrive at Burnt Bridge ?

Love Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Aug 9 11 3:24 PM

Oh happy days  Terry!,
 yes you are right Jen the garage was just past Barton House. You bring back memories of hot Saturday afternoons spent wheeling my old 'heath robinson' bike down to the garage to be mended, I spent most of my 2/6d pocket money on new brake blocks, inner tubes and puncture repair kits.
My mate B. and I used to escape on weekends and ride for miles over the counrtyside.Sister Anne used to pack me up with a jam sandwich [or brown sugar and banana on a lucky day] a big slab of fruit cake or rock bun with jam in the middle and a bottle of pop from the shop, saynig 'be back before it gets dark!' Off we would go without a care in the world.
What a difference life for children is today!

Happy happy memories

love Sue xx
p.s. Terry wasn't he a kind man as well, he used to be so patient with me and never charged me the 'proper' price for his time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

dianaw

superstar

#31 [url]

Aug 9 11 3:45 PM

Hi All, That would have been Yew Tree Lane which led onto Burn Bridge Road & you're right Jennifer Burn Bridge.  We often went down that road on our Saturday hikes to what we named as 'Heather Valley' with Sister Edith, singing our hearts out.  Yes Sue, happy days.
love Di

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Aug 9 11 3:45 PM

as an after thought Terry,
the men at the garage were so patient and kind, I bet they were sick of seeing a scruffy little lass with wild hair asking them once again, to mend my old beloved bike. They never used to charge either, or if they did it was only a token amount.
So many kind people who did what they did out of the goodness of their hearts.
 I hope you weren't one of the 'bigger boys' I used to pinch parts of bicycles from!
 I stole Ray Crisp's pump once and he chased me all the way to Beckwithshaw to get it! I only got a clip round the ear for that as well. He was a real 'big brother'.

as the song goes ' don't it always seem to go, you don't know what youv'e got till it's gone?'

love Sue xx

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#34 [url]

Aug 9 11 4:29 PM

Hi Sue ,I remember the Banana sandwiches Sister Anne packed me on Saturdays to go to Burky ,and also at whitby to go go to the beach  for the day .Bet she was glad to see the back of us for awhile we must of been very trying .are you going to the union hope so    Love Malc S

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Aug 9 11 4:59 PM

Hi All ! I never dreamed of so many remembering the garage it certainly brings back memories to me and yes there was a shop there as well, i wonder Di i remember a place we used to call (Fertle wing ) not sure of how to spell it A lot of the children were scared to go in there because of all the stories the older ones put out to them.
Love Terry X

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Aug 9 11 5:07 PM

There used to be a pub by the bridge at Burn Bridge called the Black Swan.  When I wasn't with Dorothy, I'd be with my other good school friend from Pannal junior who's parents used to own it.  I used to be SO ENVIOUS because she had everything a little girl could wish for.  Her own lovely girly bedroom, full of her own stuff.  She had a pony in the meadow behind the pub and a caravan 'Wendy House' where we'd have a prawn cocktail tea, which was served by her mother  ( another Mrs Turner ) who was very glam with long red hair.   ..........    On the other side of the bridge, but on the same side of the road, was a field with a steep hill.  One winter Annette & I were taking turns to slide down the hill on her sledge.  I did the classic trick of running smack into the fence at the bottom of the slope..  The sledge & my legs went under the bottom rail, but the rest of me remained sitting upright.  I still have the scar on one of my shins to this day   .........  Is the  Black Swan still there, I wonder ? 

Love Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Aug 9 11 5:18 PM

Well of course I had my own personal barber Terry, called sister Flora, to do my plaits and pudding bowl.  Dorothy and I once went to Harlow Hill to have our hair cut, and I was so consumed by giggles when I saw D with a plastic 'bib' around her neck and those clips in her hair, that I had to be sent to wait outside   ......  On reflection, I think the hairdressers & the post office were owned by the same people ?  You'd go into the main front door at the front of the building, into a corridor.  The post office was on the left, and the hairdresser on the right.  
Love Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Aug 9 11 5:58 PM

Hi there Malc S,

no sorry I wont be at this years reunion I'm afraid. I shall be in sunny climes [Greece] but my thoughts will be at Harlow Hill on the 10th, rest assured, and I'll be 'champing at th bit, to get back and look at all the stuff when I return.

Did you see the photos I put up on the site of Sister Anne and Nurse Gwen etc that you asked for?. you will find them under 'Just photo's' then under ' Photos and other items.' [You'll need to click on the spaces for them to come up]
take care
Sue

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help