Remove this ad

malsal

superstar

#41 [url]

Aug 9 11 6:36 PM

Hi Sue sorry you wont be at the reunion ,but I envy you going to Greece ,my favourite is Hanioti but have a good time  Love Malcs

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

malsal

superstar

#42 [url]

Aug 9 11 6:43 PM

Hi Terry Pudding bowl they wouldn't see any hair to cut ,but it would make a fashionable cap think I'll put one on for Just Beer at Newark tomorrow ,take care    Malc

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#44 [url]

Aug 9 11 7:07 PM

HI David sorry to intrude in your mail to Jennifer but I had to look at the Black Swan it looks a great place plenty of Real Ale ,is that the reason your staying there .It would certainly have accommodated the reunion not that I think the Harlow wont .Cheers Malc S

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#45 [url]

Aug 9 11 7:33 PM

Hi All, 'The Black Swan' was nicknamed 'The Mucky Duck' & still is to this day.
Terry, the name Fertle wing doesn't ring any bells with me.
love Di

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Aug 9 11 7:40 PM

Hi Malcolm

I don't think you are intruding at all. Check this link
http://www.harrogatemotel.co.uk/ Di's husband Lewis knows the landlord at The Harlow Inn and I believe he will be putting himself out to make our evening and Sunday lunch enjoyable. But yes The Black Swan could be a potential venue for another year.I may find time to pop in and "looksee".
We got bed and breakfast (low season) for £45.00.

Kind regards

David

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Aug 9 11 8:27 PM

Thankyou David.  We do have a look at our old haunts in the UK via Google from time to time and find it fascinating.  But it's sad to see how many houses have sprouted up in areas we always considered to be rural.  Last time we went 'home' we were frightened by the volume of cars on the road.

I think David was right to say you weren't being intrusive Malcolm.  We were all discussing the same topic together on an open  forum, and your post was entirely appropriate.  The garden at the Black Swan used to be lovely, with lawns sloping down to the beck  ( I havn't used that word since I left Yorkshire in the 1960s ) where we used to catch sticklebacks.

Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#49 [url]

Aug 9 11 8:51 PM

Hi Terry I remember Squinting Cat we used to go down that way Sledging in a field with a brook at the bottom dodging frozen cow pats ,if you hit one you were off ,also the boundry post was near the Squinting Cat and we thought it clever to stand one foot in two Ridings . 

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Aug 10 11 12:49 AM

Hi Terry,
The Squinting Cat, (the original one) was a favorite at reunions with my age group, Russ W, Bobby Marshall, Graham Kirby, Bernard M and so on. Had a lot of fun there. I see from google maps that it's a lot bigger now.
Take care
Malc T

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

dianaw

superstar

#51 [url]

Aug 10 11 2:12 PM

Hi All, I worked behind the bar at the 'Cat' a couple of evenings a week when my girls were small. It's nothing like it used to be & is more on the lines of a Wetherspoons now.  Such a shame.  Lewis knowing Andrew the Landlord of the Harlow, was not the only reason it was picked for the reunion,  it was always a favourite haunt after the reunion at Fairfield, so that was another reason.  Anyway we shall soon see, it's the people that count & only a month to go - yipee.
love Di

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#53 [url]

Aug 13 11 12:08 PM

Hi All where is every one are you all busy packing for the reunion , or our you like me and worn out by all the activity of the last few days .Regards to everyone and take care    Malc S

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Aug 13 11 1:26 PM

If anyone else is like me Malc S, they feel quite emotionally drained.  We'll have to think of a topic we can all chat about and enjoy.  But I'm sure everyone is VERY MUCH looking forward to the Harrogate reunion.

Jennifer 

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#56 [url]

Aug 13 11 7:25 PM

Hi Terry why not bring the wife in the suit case the more the merrier .seriously though its very quite isn't it ,anyway hope you are both well ,see you in 4 wks  regards Malc S

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Aug 13 11 8:33 PM

I'm afraid I can't make it to the reunion this time Malc S, but I shall be thinking of you all and knowing that you'll be having a wonderful time   ......   Meanwhile, if you think things are quiet, and you're interested in fruit & veg,  you can always add your comments to the pickle factory forum !

Jennifer

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#59 [url]

Aug 14 11 3:21 PM

sorry you won't  be at the reunion Jen .But on a new note does any one remember my sister Joan Salmon at No 3 Fairfield about 1944 - 1946 ? ,she left shortly after I went to the home in 1945 . Malc S

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#60 [url]

Aug 14 11 7:33 PM

Sad news to report:-

Derrick Parker passed away yesterday, he had been very very ill for a few months & now he is at peace. 

Derrick was such a caring person, he kept in touch regularly with many old boys & girls & attended every reunion at Fairfield.  After Fairfield closed, he arranged for the reunions to carry on for a while in Wesley Chapel Hall. 

I shall be sending our condolences to his family & if anyone would like his daughter's address, please send me a private message & I will send it to you.

Derrick Parker           7.8.1931 - 13.8.2011  
                                                      1938 to 1947 Fairfield, Harrogate

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help