Nice one Malc

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

royl

fanatic

#42 [url]

Oct 27 11 5:04 PM

Hi MalcS.

The wine? So near yet so far, thats life.  But I'll get you for that!
Having seen a picture of a railway engine with your intials on it I now realise whose train set I had knicked as a kid.  The only problem with that is that there was one in the house next door and the house after that, all yours? BTW did you know that the rear axle on the tender was buckled?  

Roy

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#45 [url]

Oct 28 11 12:52 AM

Dave,
Hurricane and Typhoon and Royal Military canal on the same day and same place?   By looking south to the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Rly.   Did you visit whilst in that area?    They have a brother to your 4472 but it might not be the same guage as yours!

Roy

Quote    Reply   

dave

superstar

#46 [url]

Oct 28 11 8:08 AM

Hi Roy,
I had a ride on the R.H.&D railway last year will dig out a picture.
I am fortunate in that I live 12 miles away from Hythe, Kent (don't want to confuse any stokies with Hythe in Hants).
I am not far from the Kent and East Sussex railway either but have yet to visit.

Slight change of subject that may interest you, a company in Kent now offers helicopter flights during which you fly alongside the battle of Britain memorial flight spitfire and hurricane. Looking at some footage and photos from the web site it looks to be a spectacular experience as you fly along the Dover coast line.

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#48 [url]

Oct 29 11 12:13 AM

Hi Dave,

Looking at the position of the nameplate on the second picture it is either Green Goddess or Southern Maid but going by the number 1 my money is on Green Goddess.

Now can anyone out anorak that!

Roy

Quote    Reply   

dave

superstar

#49 [url]

Oct 29 11 4:45 PM

Hi Roy,
I have nominated you for anorak of the month. You are absolutely right, No1 is Green Goddess based on the A1  Pacific Locomotive of which good old LNER 4472 is a surviving example.
Apparently Green Goddess cost £1,250 to build in 1925.

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Oct 29 11 6:52 PM

Hi Dave ! have you been on the one at Hastings
Terry

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

dave

superstar

#51 [url]

Oct 30 11 10:25 AM

Hi Terry,
Not sure if there is one at Hastings, I am a regular visitor to the area and have not seen any hope you can enlighten me.
Just realised, do you mean the Hastings lift railway?

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Oct 30 11 11:36 AM

Hi Dave ! The small railway i talk about is laid out on the beach and is in comparison smaller than your photo, i went the round several times as my son,s were growing up. I have not been back to Hastings for some years so of course it is possible they are not there anymore. There was also one at Tonbridge in the park area should you be in that area. Have a few Bishops Fingers for me.
terry

Quote    Reply   

dave

superstar

#53 [url]

Oct 30 11 2:51 PM

Hi Terry,
Intrigued by your info I have done a bit of research.
The Hastings railway is still going and has had an overhaul recently. Hastings is doing a lot to bring the town back to the resort it used to be. I realise now were the railway runs and being back from the main road I had not noticed it. You can see the Station I just thought it was a child's fun fair type ride. May well have a go when I am actually in the town and not just driving through. One thing you may recall is the pier, sadly it is in a sorry state having had a major fire about three years ago and has not been touched since. I think there was a lot of suspicion surrounding the fire.

The Railway at Tonbridge is still there being run by the local model engineering club same as the one in Moat park Maidstone. Lovely place to take children.
Take care on your travels
Dave

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Nov 1 11 6:03 PM

Julie Andrews Turns 69, this is hysterical

To commemorate her birthday , actress/vocalist, Julie Andrews made a special appearance at
                                Manhattan 's Radio City Music Hall for the benefit of the AARP.
                                One of the musical numbers she performed was 
'My Favorite Things'  from the legendary movie 'Sound Of Music'.
   Here are the lyrics she used:

(Sing It!)  - If you sing it, its especially hysterical!!!

Botox and nose drops and needles for knitting,
                                Walkers and  handrails and new dental fittings,
                                Bundles of magazines tied up in string,
                                   These are a few of my favorite things.

Cadillacs and cataracts, hearing aids and glasses,
                                Polident and Fixodent and false teeth in glasses,
                                Pacemakers, golf carts and porches with swings,

When the pipes leak, When the bones creak,
                                  When the knees go bad,
                                I simply remember my favorite things,
                                      And then I don't feel so bad.

Hot tea and crumpets and corn pads for bunions,
                                No spicy hot food or food cooked with onions,
                                Bathrobes and heating pads and hot meals they bring,

Back pain, confused brains and no need for sinnin',
                                Thin bones and fractures and hair that is thinnin',
                                And we won't mention our short shrunken frames,
                                   When we remember our favorite things.

When the joints ache, When the hips break,
                                      When the eyes grow dim,
                                  Then I remember the great life I've had,
                                       And then I don't feel so bad. 
  (Ms. Andrews received a standing ovation from the crowd   that lasted over four minutes and repeated encores. Please  
share Ms. Andrews' clever wit and humour with others who  would appreciate it

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Nov 1 11 8:19 PM

This is hilarious, David!  Wish I'd been there!  Especially with her singing it!!!
In a similar vein, anyone read the book, Now We Are Sixty--apparently a spoof of the AA Milne, Now We are Six classic?  Would love to see that! :-)   (Might just have to order that from Amazon).
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Nov 2 11 11:17 AM

Writing lines at school

As some ex Fairfielders will know, Stephen and me went to Ashville College, where they had some fairly traditional practices. It was founded in the 19th century as a school for the sons of Methodist ministers but had long since opened its' doors to fee payers and local boys under the direct grant scheme. Anyway I was given lines to write as a punishment for just a few misdemeanours and I thought you might like to see what the lines always had to be. Sometimes they had to be done in "copperplate" but mostly just neat writing. The lines were given out in "Y" s which is a strange term to use and each Y was worth 20 lines. The maximum was 5 Y which of course equals 100 lines and if you accumulated more than 5 in any one week they were converted into an afternoon detention which meant you missed the sports afternoon and had to attend a detention class and work under the supervision of a prefect.( We went to school on Saturday as well) Just ask why I can remember this line so well - yes you guessed it - I had my share of practice.

FEW THINGS ARE MORE DISTRESSING TO A WELL REGULATED MIND THAN TO SEE A BOY WHO OUGHT TO KNOW BETTER, DISPORTING HIMSELF AT IMPROPER MOMENTS.

David

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Nov 2 11 1:56 PM

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing that pastiche on 'My Favorite Things', which Julie Andrews recited at her 69th birthday concert. (She lost her singing voice after an operation to her vocal cords in 1998) .  It is extremely witty, just like the lady herself.  Having just celebrated her 76th birthday last month (birth date 01.10.1935), she is older than both of us.  She still looks terrific and shows no sign of losing her marbles. It just goes to show that a little humour can go a long way to make life go with a swing.  If only I had learnt that earlier on in life! 

At our recent Harrogate reunion I was pleasantly surprised at how young in spirit people seemed to be and how varied their interest were.  Maybe that had something to do with our upbringing too.

Glad you enjoyed the Hallowe'en poem.                Regards to yourself and Janet.

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Nov 4 11 1:25 PM

Re" Young in spirit" ha ha maybe it due to aging at the same time as each other..My age problem is memory...or lack of..I have tried all the gimicks to try and help me remember things or even peoples names. my wife said I should attend memory classes so I did, after several weeks i met a friend who asked if the classes were any help.."Great" I replied, " oh thats good,whats the name of the clinic"? I paused for a while thinking and then asked my friend "what is the name of the flower that has thorns, but smells nice"? "AHA! thats a Rose" ......"ah yes I said and turned to my wife and said "ROSE whats the name of the clinic"?

ha that is a joke and is fiction and I cant recall the auther..............
keep laughing, stay young (er)

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#59 [url]

Nov 4 11 1:38 PM

Hi Bobbie  I too have a memory problem but after making an appointment to go to memory classes I forgot to go .Seriously though I have learnt to use it to my advantage and can get away with murder . Take care regards  Malc S

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Nov 16 11 12:10 PM

Hi All !              A Limerick Perhaps

A Priest and an Australian Sheep farmer were competing  against each other  by having to answer questions, after the final round they were neck and neck and had to answer the programe leaders extra question to find the winner.

The assignment was to write a Limerick in five minutes and the word Timbukto must be included,
after 5 minutes the Priest went forward to recite his Limerick.

I was a father all my life,
I had no children, had no wife,
I read the bible through and through
on my way to Timbukto.

The public were sure this must be a sure winner,
but then the Australian Sheep farmer went forward.

" Tim and me a hunting went,
  We met three ladies cheap to rent,
  They were three and we were two,
  So i booked one and Timbukto

Regards Terry

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help