Remove this ad

dianaw

superstar

#61 [url]

Nov 16 11 2:21 PM

Hi Terry,  Very funny - made me laugh.  This is one Sister Edith used to tell us:-

There was an old lady from Leeds,
who swallowed a packet of seeds,
out of her ears grew a beautiful rose
& out of her ears grew weeds.

I wonder if David & Steve remember her telling us this one!

What's the weather like in Norway at the moment & are you going to be able to get to Thailand before it snows.  Also wondering if you will put a Christmas tree up in your apartment, it will seem strange swimming & sunbathing in glorious heat at Christmas & we'll be huddling round the fire.  Take care,
love Di

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#62 [url]

Nov 17 11 12:14 PM

Hi Di ! The weather here is very good for this time of year we have had no snow but in the North they have. We do not bother with a Xmas tree in Thailand in our flat, we go out and have our Xmas dinner and are together with friends  and others. Two years ago we spent xmas there and the Xmas spirit just was not there, we were having our Xmas dinner and they were playing Elvis Presley music in the background. Yes i remember the one of  the old lady from Leeds as well.
Hope you manage to get the money for the organ.
Love Terry

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#63 [url]

Nov 17 11 2:39 PM

Hi Terry , No Christmas Tree it can't be Christmas with out one.I will be putting ours up along with room decorations at the end of November .Lesley thinks we shouldn't bother now the kids have grown up  but they will go up while I can stand on the steps , I love Christmas and hate taking it all down in January .Oh I have booked a week in Whitby in May for my birthday and of cause to help Lesley recover from her  her foot OP . 
                                                                        Take care Malc S

PS DI I also hope your fund rising for the Organ goes well .I was amazed at Jeff's knowledge on Organs ,it made fascinating reading .What did you use to do Jeff 

Quote    Reply   

#64 [url]

Nov 17 11 3:46 PM

Hi Malc ! I  cannot say that i like plastic Xmas trees even though some of them are really very good. I suppose we are spoilt here in Norway having access to really beautiful smelling Xmas trees, it doe;s seem a shame cutting down a tree just for a week or so. Did you know that the Xmas tree in Trafalgar Square is a present from Norway every year.Hope you have a nice break in Whitby and Lesley will soon be doing a marathon.
Take care  Terry

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#65 [url]

Nov 17 11 3:56 PM

Hi Malc S, I'm as bad as you regarding Christmas - I just love it.  For the past few years all the family descend on our youngest daughter Annette & son in law David as they have the bigest house.  2 daughters, 2 son in laws, 5 granddaughters (aged between 21 to 31), one grandson in law & the star of the show our great grandson, plus there could also be one or 3 boyfriends in the mix too.  We always stick to tradition from when my girls were small & our Christmas in No. 2 - stockings & pillowcases etc. 

Christmas in the NCH, has to be a good topic to look forward to.  love Di 

Quote    Reply   

#66 [url]

Nov 17 11 7:34 PM

Hi Di ! I agree with what you said to Malcolm, I to have carried on the Xmas traditions from Fairfield and would not want it any other way,and i still love it , my children are carrying on this tradition and i am sure my grandchildren will to. Sadly it is not quite the same in Thailand, i have spent Xmas in many lands during my time at sea and nothing is quite like the Christmases you remember as a child.
Love Terry

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#67 [url]

Nov 17 11 10:49 PM

Hi Terry,  Last year at this very same time, we were just leaving Hong Kong on the Oriana, a day at sea & then on the 19th arrived at Vietnam, where we visited Ho Chi Minh City.  Next was Thailand & a local village, the following day the Thai island of Ko Samui, after that Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Mumbai, transit the Suez Canal, Greece, Portugal & home just in time for Christmas.  When we arrived in Southampton, it was thick snow & all I was worried about was whether we would be home for Christmas & make the journey to Lancashire to our daughters. Thank goodness we did.
love Di

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#68 [url]

Nov 18 11 1:20 AM

Hi Di & Terry (in order of Ladies first)I agree with all you say and the blue print for me is Fairfield ,even though I still think of the birth of Jesus as the main thing .no plastic isn't the same but reputation is better than none and all the colour and glitter is right to celebrate the occasion .The wife still likes a stocking (nothing kinky ha ha)at the foot of the bed though now the children have left the nest we celebrate in our own way .But Christmas in the NCH ,how can you better it .      Love to all Malc S 

Quote    Reply   

#69 [url]

Nov 18 11 1:54 PM

Not being in the at Christmas time... For me has mixed emotions. What I do not miss is the overwhelming, all consuming commercial pressure that starts at month 6. Very little as to the true reason we celebrate this special period. The birth of Christ.

The is a 95% Catholic country and the churches are always full EVERY Sunday so come such an important event the people are packed inside and the others having to stand outside and the service fed via loudspeakers. That is for six mass services starting at 5am.

We were well protected and well provided for being cared for in the NCH and I simply loved the Christmas time we all shared with Sister Pearl. Christmas evening we all sat around the fire and called up the chimney to Santa with our wishes and hopes. Waking the next morning to see the stocking hanging off the bed bursting with gifts. This is one of the things we do here and the girls love it.  The other is hiding the parcels all around the house and they have to search for those that have their name on.

FOOD LIST…

Porkpie. Mince pies, Jelly Trifle, Christmas cake and Pudding ect ect… A trip to Tesco? Sainsbury? Not a chance. A trip (3hrs by car) to the local market to buy a pig, yes a whole pig, then the boys will slaughter it in our outside kitchen and into the freezer until needed. Flour, sugar, rice ect is ordered by the 25-45 kilo sack with the things like butter and cheese has to be imported from or Ozz. All the ingredients have to be located in good time and then I can plan the cooking schedule. Things like veg and stuff is grown in our garden which shares space with the goats and chicken stock. Our kitchen is considered up market by many because we have an oven and full size stove. Ha ha pretty standard stuff in but posh na posh here. Whenever we go to my in laws house in the mountains all food is cooked on a wood fire. My love for tea means a ready fire at all times. Keeps my wife on her toes he he he. 

Where ever you are in the world, have a happy Christmas and give a thought for those who do not have anything but hope in their lives. There are many such people here in .

Bobbie an girls

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#71 [url]

Nov 21 11 7:13 PM

Hi Terry and All,
Terry, you mentioned snow and we go and get our first dump of the season this morning. 4" of wet gooey stuff!
Enjoy your holiday. have the floods gone down there yet?.
Di, Re: your other posts of Ripon Cathedral, lovely pics, fond memories. I played last post in there one year. I'll have the Turkey Sandwich and a coffee. Who could resist buying from someone with Santa headed antlers!
Take care all
Malc T

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#72 [url]

Nov 21 11 9:11 PM

Hi Malc, what no mulled wine - I can recommend it. 
Do you get the snow ploughs there & are you far from the shops.  It looks very picturesque, but I feel sorry for the poor birds looking at their dinner table!  love Di

Quote    Reply   

#73 [url]

Nov 22 11 5:11 AM

Hi Di,
Yes we get the ploughs.  One thing Canada is geared up for is snow removal and yet folks still grumble about it. I've told many a grumbler, go live in England for a winter.!. We are about 800' above  sea level and about 20 minutes from town so Ci' stocks up pretty well as we can and have been subject to a 2' snowfall overnight, Lovely!. As i write it's raining hard and washing the snow away.
take care
love, Malc x

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#74 [url]

Nov 23 11 11:09 PM

Hi Malc T   So you have had your first snow in Canada ,It snowed in Mansfield England  last Thursday  true it was only artificial in the market place with a snow machine when they switched on the Christmas lights but it seemed real ,but I don't think it will be long before we follow you though hopefully not as much as you get ,as you say we can't cope 2" inch and we come to a standstill .Make a snow man for me and take care .          Bro Malc

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#75 [url]

Nov 24 11 1:28 AM

Hi Mal's (Both),

I reckon I will have to get out and give the grass a final cut cos I aint got one of these lawnmower cum snow plough things.  Terry will probably recognise it as it is a relative who stays in Norway just to be able to send pictures of deeper snow than I can get!

Roy

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#76 [url]

Nov 24 11 5:23 AM

Hi Roy,
Yes, snowblowers are popular here, mainly further north though. They work with an auger so you cant go right down to the ground or you 'bottom out'. That leaves a layer of snow that turns to ice, so if you have a sloped driveway, you get a free slide!.  They are great for giving your nieghbor more snow, as your picture shows!.I still snow shovel the stuff.
Take care
Malc T

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#77 [url]

Nov 24 11 12:45 PM

Hi Roy and Malc ,shovelling is all part of the fun and good exercise when you really can't go out walking ,mind you don't really seem to get enough to bother about but if it's that bad it's wellies and trudge to the pub like a true blooded English man .     all the best Malc S

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help