Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Nov 26 11 1:27 PM

Roy,
     after reading your letter i must say i agree with every thing you say. For my part
     joining Harpenden in 1950-1956 aged 5years old was like paradise  i think ones
     time before joining the home has to be taken in concideration. I like many others
     i suppose had a bad time prior to being admitted  so the odd punishment like being
     made to stand in the corner which seemed like hours for talking at bed time seemed
     normal. When i went to my first reunion this year at Harpenden driving into the oval
     i felt a great love for the place unchanged since i left.
     It must be terrible to look back on your time in a home with bad memories,but i
     think all of us have grown up to be good people.To me i find it very strange i cannot
     remember what happened last week, but i have never forgotten my time at
     Harpenden i was one of the lucky ones
                                                       Regards all

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

malsal

superstar

#22 [url]

Nov 26 11 4:18 PM

Hi roy  I echo Bri45 but it did differ from home to home ,as I stated in an earlier mail when at Frodsham I was a bed wetter age 5/6 due probably due to trauma ,and the Sister (who I can't remember or want too) reaction was to make me stand naked on the landing ,and a cold bath before going to bed without supper shivering no wonder I wet the bed .It was different at Harrogate and Sister Anne (bless her) gave me supper and a warm bath made me go to the toilet and also got me up when she went to bed . But that wasn't the only good thing at Harrogate and I thank my lucky stars I was moved .   regards to all Malc S   

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Nov 26 11 8:36 PM

I'm really not sure about what to say about all this only that it's a little uncomfortable and sad to read sometimes.Who ever gave anyone the right to judge another persons experiences? We don't have that right and that's not what We're about. I can tell My story and I can relate to so many others that are ready to share their story with Me, with Us.Somehow We all ended up in the same boat,that's true.How We got here and our journey's were all very different,that's a fact.Some dealt with the past very well and some are still trying to deal with things but need a little more time to do so.Maybe by sharing our own experiences We can help each other and in turn help ourselves.I've had lots to talk about on both the forums and been extremely privileged in that other kind folk have advised and replied and shared their experiences too.I have been in lots of different homes and all those places were very different experiences for Me.I was not and I'm certainly still not no goody two shoes.But hey! That Childhood was long ago.Newton Hall was long ago.Luckily I survived to tell My story and I can do that because it's Me who had the experience. Thank you to those of You that helped Me out with the things I know I'd never talked of before We all landed in the same boat. Thank you Philip too.

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#24 [url]

Nov 26 11 9:44 PM

Hi Christine  not really sure what you are trying to say but the boat I landed in in was THE GOOD SHIP LOLLYPOP .   If things haven't gone right in the past I wish you well for the future . Malc S

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Nov 26 11 11:39 PM

Hi Malc S.  Thank you very much for Your kind reply. :)                                                                                                                                         Yes I landed here on a good ship too.I'm sure glad I found My way.It's great being able to share My story with.People that know and have an understanding as to where I came from.I left care in 1979 and as I said earlier.......This is probably the first time I have talked about My earlier life in care.I know I am very luck in that I have had a very good and very successful life since leaving care and I plan on having plenty more good times in the future to come back and share with You all.                                                                                                                    Best wishes to You and Thanks again Malc S.  x

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

malsal

superstar

#26 [url]

Nov 27 11 12:03 AM

Hi Christine so pleased your thoughts where positive about the home ,I dread to think what my life would have been without it and my luck in finding my Wife and it seems you too are also happy with your life .I'm glad I've not had all the good luck and once again wish you a happy future .  Malc S                       

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Nov 28 11 12:46 AM

My brother Jeff and I now have a pact of peace. Fragile perhaps, but it’s a start. Through a short communicate he has agreed to leave the forum for good which may or may not put other members at ease. I have to add here that he was attacking me alone and did not include anyone else’s post.

The whole ethos of this forum is to have a place to share our life’s story, be it good or bad. A place where we can air our fears and phobias without contradiction or retribution from other members. It is my sincere wish that we can continue to just be there for each other. Even if it’s just an ear to listen. Many of us do not require any reply to our postings. To be able to put it down on paper so get it out in the open can be all we need. To know it is being read by so many like minded people brings peace of mind and helps us reach the next stage of our lives. One of tranquillity and hope. If we fail to help ourselves, how can we help those that share our lives?

God bless you all

Bobbie

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Nov 28 11 2:24 PM

Thanks Bobbie!  A very nice letter, as others have noted.  I do wish to add my best wishes to you and all your family.  And I agree with you, this should be a place for us to find support and where possible, help if needed.  We aren't "experts", just that we've "been there". :-)
Every good wish,
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Nov 14 12 9:28 PM

I suffered horrendous abuse at NCH Harrogate, at the hands of both children AND some staff - abuse that would horrify most of you.  However, I am delighted that some of you out there have had wonderful and positive experiences of their times there.  I am the man I am despite what happened to me - after all, our experiences shape us into what we are today.

Also..... i DO have some wonderful memories of my time at Fairfield also - Freda.  Learning to ride a bike on the main driveway.  Having a fete on the front lawn.  Cross country walks.....ad infinitum lol

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Dec 4 12 2:32 PM

It's a fantastic thing to be able to read/feel the empathy, love and care that comes across from these postings, there were some horrible things that happened to some and although hard to read, it was almost certainly harder for those folks to write.
We have all had a different journey, we all remember things in different ways, but the one thing that unites us, is where we have been and that's what shines through here.
Thanks guys, this forum is helping me a lot and I'm sure is doing the same for many others x
Lucy

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help