Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 27 12 11:50 AM

Tags : :

Would all children in the NCH have a file on them regardless of time spent in the care of the NCH. Would Siblings have had independant files? can anyone help?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

#1 [url]

Jan 27 12 4:11 PM

Each child that came into the NCH had a file 99% of these survive, and each member of a family would have had their own single file.
The waiting time once you application is in is normally 3 - 6 months for the records to be found & checked and an appointment made for you to see them, this is roughly the time for an only child.
It can take longer if you were a child with a brother or sister that was in the NCH at any time, once your file is located an extra copy has to be made, so that any matters releating to them and other living relatives can be removed, so you do not see any third party information.
If ALL living brothers and sister can apply for their files in one batch and agree that any third party info can be shared between ALL, then things can be speeded up expect a wait of 6 or more months.
If you were in a different Home (non NCH) or were in the NCH after 1969, or were placed in the NCH by a council. Then things can take longer as council files will not be with your file have to be located, your NCH file in these cases will only have a limited amount of content, but the council file will have the main content
------------------
The ideal child for getting their file, would be an only child that was put in by a single parent (now deceased), and that had no current living close relatives that ever had any contact with the NCH and was in one single NCH Home and also left their care before 1969 - in those cases fiding their file is easy, for others expect a delay, but it is well worth the wait.

--------------------------
The link
www.actionforchildren.org.uk/our-services/adoption-fostering-and-children-in-care/records-and-support

Philip

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Apr 6 12 12:09 PM

Thank you for all your advice regarding this Philip. Without your forum I would never have known it was possible to even obtain our files.

Having said that, I'm having real problems getting mine, which I applied for just over a year ago.

The problem is not with the main body - they've been excellent, but with the 'local' branch, the contact of which, quite honestly just doesn't seem to want to know, despite 'urgent' emails from the main office ( not instigated by me, I might add).

I don't think they realize that 1, we're getting older! 2, what a difference it makes if you can answer 'some' if the myriad questions we have about our childhood.

Thanks again Philip!

genie

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#3 [url]

Apr 6 12 5:44 PM

Genie,
Please write to Watford and ask them to see if they can speed the process up.
If you were in care after 1969, it can take longer if local councils do not find their files quickly that they have in store in their offices..

Philip

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Apr 10 12 8:06 PM

Hello Philip
Thank you for your advice. Actually Watford have been brilliant, it's the Midlands office I'm having problems with.They have the records, it's just the copying and telling me what I can and can't have that I'm waiting for!

genie.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Feb 15 13 12:19 AM

I was in Harpenden from January 1966 until July 1969 with one of my brothers. My other brother stayed for the first 18 months until he ran away twice. I just received my records after just a few weeks. I had to have a councillor to whom they were sent since I now live in Florida. In fact, I probably would have had them in about a month if it hadn't been just before Christmas when I applied for for my records and the 3 weeks that I took to send my councillors info. to them plus the time with mailing overseas.
I had both parents involved when I went to the NCH. Both have now passed away. My mother was in hospital when I went to Harpenden. Quite a lot of info. about my mum was "third party retraction", although there was quite a bit of info. about her. Not sure how Action for Children decides what to remove. I was not asked if my parents were deceased. I wonder if they would have not retracted some of my mum's info. if I had let them know she was deceased.
There were a lot of "3rd party retraction" about my older brother who ran away. I hope my two brothers request their records too so we can fill in a lot of the gaps.

Christine W

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help