Please d your photos here that you wish kept for easy viewing

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

dave

superstar

#5 [url]

Feb 21 12 9:10 AM

I don't know what the tree is Jennifer I suspect you maybe right. The only sign I saw was telling people not to go in the fenced area in case they get a branch on their bonce.

Nice shot of the tower Roger, I regularly visited Portsmouth at the time the tower was being constructed. Must admit to not being sure about it but having seen it completed I think it is a great sight as you enter the harbour.

A spinnaker is the large sail on the front of yachts when racing. I am sure the sailors amongst us can explain better and show us a picture.

I bet that took a few poles Mal. One of your jobs?

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Feb 21 12 10:36 AM

Interestingly, the Statue of Liberty was a gift from the people of France to the people of America. It was designed and manufactured in France, but the fundraising for its erection on Bedloe's Island, now Liberty Island, fell largely to the the Americans, who were decidedly reluctant to pay up. Publisher Joseph Pulitzer started a campaign that eventually raised enough cash. 

Roger.

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#9 [url]

Feb 21 12 6:24 PM

In a  tv prog last night. I learned: -      The statue was a gift to America at the time of or just after the American war of independence from Britain.   It was accepted reluctantly by many as they felt they had better things to spend their money on.    It is now used by the Americans as a symbol of liberty for all and the fraternity bit was extended to all including Britain with whom the greatest amount of trade still existed. This was much to the chagrin of the of the poor French who had overspent to produce the gift.

Jennifer refered before to the coincidence of subjects on the box and on here. Is there something going on?

Roy

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Feb 21 12 6:46 PM

I genuinely didn't know that there was something about the Statue of Liberty on the goggle box last night, Roy. I must confess that I seldom find much of interest on the darned thing these days. Most of it is about as riveting as a wallpaper pattern. My spiel on the Statue was conjured up from memory, but I confess to checking up the reliability of my antiquated faculties on Google before committing the stuff to the page. Incidentally, did you all know (take notes - you will be tested on this later) that the part of the brain involved with memory is called the Hippocampus? It sounds like something out of The Jungle Book - mental picture of groups of large river mammals wearing Boy Scouts' uniform, singing "On Top Of Old Smokey" round camp fires. (Yes, it's time I took another tablet.)

Roger.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Feb 21 12 7:27 PM

Jennifer, 

You can see the Spinnaker Tower on the left in this photo, through the rigging of the old 1861 Ironclad battleship HMS Warrior. The survival of this vessel is an extraordinary story in itself, and similar in many ways to the saga of Brunel's SS Great Britain, which is now safely restored at Bristol.

Roger.

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

dave

superstar

#13 [url]

Feb 21 12 7:45 PM

Now we are getting onto my favourite subject, Ships.
Nice photo Roger. Am I right in thinking the Spinnaker Tower is Britain's tallest viewing tower?

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Feb 21 12 8:03 PM

I believe that you are probably right, Dave. Blackpool Tower is just under 519 feet high against 560 feet for the Spinnaker Tower. I am not sure, however, how the heights of the public viewing platforms compare.

Roger.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Feb 23 12 8:22 PM

That is a good picture, Jennifer, of a difficult subject. Photographing water into bright light often results in flare caused by internal reflections within the lens components. Your shot is very successful.

Roger.

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#18 [url]

Feb 24 12 12:30 AM

There are some really super pictures on here these days.  They make me jealous as I never seem to get it right especially as I tend to use my mobile rather than carry a camera.  
I must ask though,Di, is that blue sky and sea for real?

Roy

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#20 [url]

Feb 24 12 8:46 PM

Going out to the depths of the freezer, I found this once country animal, attractive until you see what is hidden under the wrapper.

Philip

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help