Remove this ad

dianaw

superstar

#21 [url]

Feb 24 12 10:31 PM

Hi Malc,
Yes, the scenery was magnificent. You mentioned earlier, on the start of that trip we could have sailed past near to where you live & in the second of my photos in Norway, Terry mentioned we possibly could have sailed near where he lives too.  Small world.
Hope all is well with you & yours.
love Di

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#26 [url]

Mar 12 12 1:47 AM

Hi All,
We have in B.C an Arbutus Tree., posh name Madrona. It is native to the west coast of Canada and the USA , Oregon, California. We have loads of them on Vancouver Island and yesterday Daughter/Son and law and the wee grand one went to Denman Island. Half hour drive, ten minute ferry, it pounded down!. Anyway the tree is known for it's ability to grow on the crags and cliff tops of the island, though we have them in our garden. Some will grow straight up, the interesting ones grow in weird interesting ways. They keep their green broad leaves all year round but the neat part is, they shed their bark each fall leaving the trunk so smooth and shiny. To the right is one in the process of shedding, the one on the left was wet and really smooth and shiny. Spring brings a lovely white flower that smells of honey. I think there is a variety of them in Europe?
take care
Malc T.
Ps ignore the one in the middle, just a fir tree !

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

dave

superstar

#30 [url]

Mar 17 12 4:40 PM

Hi Terry,
Trust you are well. The pictures were taken at Kearsney Abbey just out side Dover. It is a beautiful place for families especially in summer. Plenty of room to run, play and have picnics. We used to take ours there a lot. Even better for us big kids is the model boating lake which is home to a very active model boat club. Models of anything from tugs, warships, fishing vessels and submarines can be seen on or under the water as the case maybe.
Spring has been a bit odd so far this year due to the weather. We are now on a hose pipe ban due to having two very dry winters in succession plus low rain fall through out last year. Our main reservoir is only 46% and we have not entered summer yet!

http://www.letsvisit.co.uk/see-do/children-and-family/Kearsney-Abbey

As to the photos I just could not get those pesky swans (note to Shelagh) to look at me. As soon as I lowered the camera you can guess what happened, yes they looked at me. The big fella did give a bit of a swan like hiss at me so I thought a tactical withdrawal was a prudent move before said swan showed me exactly what I could do with my camera.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Mar 17 12 9:51 PM

Hi Dave!
Swans of course! Jeez--I'm sicker than I thought!  Back to bed for a while!
(Don't see swans here much.  But a great abundance of Canada geese, and yes, ducks--mostly mallards, but there are other varieties.  I saw lots of coots on the Bay near  Berkeley a few weeks ago.)
Swans--they belong to the Queen, don't they?  So they aren't going to trifle with the likes us, David.
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#33 [url]

Mar 23 12 9:08 PM

Hi Malc I'm no expert and Lesley has gone out but they look very much like violets to me ,but then about the only flower I know is the good old colly .How are you anyway Bro every thing well I hope anyway take care   Malc 
Ps I bet Jenny will know .

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#34 [url]

Mar 24 12 12:13 AM

Hi Dave,
                      You have wild violets there. You have caught those soon after they have opened, they fade to violet in colour after a few days.
They were the traditional flower for children to pick for their Mothers on Mothering Sunday.
What camera are you using to get that close?

Roy

Quote    Reply   

dave

superstar

#35 [url]

Mar 24 12 11:01 AM

Thanks for the info, I really didn't know what the flowers were.
The diversity of wild life found in such places as pumping stations and water treatment works is amazing and helps to make my working day go by with some pleasure. Some of the sites I visit are rarely disturbed by human activity and I suspect become safe havens. Having said that big treatment works attract various bird species due to the abundance of insects etc. One site has owls attracted by rodents I assume. Oh yes I see plenty of them by the way!

Hi Roy,
The camera used is a Sanyo X1220 12.1 mega pixel compact issued to me by my company for use when surveying and reporting on the condition of power generators. It is this reason I keep the date stamp function on and forget to turn off when taking none work photos. Anyway, who wants to take pictures of boring diesel engines or alternators when the wild life is beaconing.

I am surprised how close I can get with the auto focus still functioning. It is with this camera I took the mushroom photos.
Enough for now before I bore the pants off you all if I haven't already.

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#37 [url]

Mar 24 12 1:35 PM

Hi Dave thanks for the info.    It is the close ups that I find so good.I found your comments after I came back with the above. When you walk a dog you get plenty of wild life but it has normally retreated to a safe distance first.

Roy

Quote    Reply   

dave

superstar

#38 [url]

Mar 24 12 2:20 PM

Great photo Roy.
I missed a chance of a photo of a green woodpecker few days ago. I heard it calling and on spotting it grabbed my camera but it flew away, bird that is, not camera!

Quote    Reply   

dave

superstar

#39 [url]

Apr 5 12 9:19 PM

Hi all,
Hope you are well and ready for the Easter break. I have been given my chores for the long weekend by SWMBO. When she said fencing I was thinking long steel pointy things but was soon corrected when I was handed the Wicks catalogue opened at the page showing long wooden blunt things.

Anyway, here is a couple of photos taken today of a loco running on the Spa Valley Railway. Apologies for the quality but I had to use digital zoom which is no where as good as optical. Shots were taken from waste water treatment works in Langton Green,Royal Tunbridge Wells.
For those interested the loco is LMS 060 Jinty 47493. I expect Roy spotted it. The loco is climbing a fairly long incline.

You may be interested in this Mal.S., The Spa Valley Railway run Real Ale specials during the summer.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help