Remove this ad

philip

fanatic

#61 [url]

Jul 3 12 11:47 AM

Dave,
You can always do a demonstration at the reunion, to show all the ex NCHers how shoes & boots used to be cleaned to meet Sisters high standards.

Philip

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

malsal

superstar

#62 [url]

Jul 3 12 12:11 PM

Hi Dave you sound like a man of my own heart ,I infuriate when we go to a pub for a meal and they don't sell "REAL ALE" ,and I tell here we will find one that does as if they sell rubbish beer they probable have rubbish food .Oh and I don't believe beer has to be strong to be tasty we went for a Meal yesterday and I had Lions Roar 3-8% and it was full of taste ,though not everyone's taste is the same I know.Happy drinking  CHEER'S  Malc S

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#64 [url]

Jul 3 12 9:40 PM

I dont think we should be down on all the beers of the 60's and 70's.       Even whilst the beards of CAMRA were still having their nappies changed you could get Directors and Brittania bitters from the pump in Whitbread houses, Bass red Triangle had all the flavour you could wish for, even in a Watneys house their 'Special' was available if you asked for it. All perfctly acceptable even if the latter was a pressurised keg as opposed to a cask beer. 
Today their are too many 'guest' ales in the pubs which I am certain are there purely to soak up the money from the explorative drinker before he/she returns to the tipple they know. One more pint of a mediocre brew is sold than would have been if the customer had stuck to what they know. 

Roy

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

malsal

superstar

#65 [url]

Jul 3 12 11:03 PM

Roy I wasn't down on the 60's and 70's beer indeed I think most were REAL ALE ,and it wasn't till the Brewer's added chemicals to save their profits I think the real beer went .I wonder what effect all this all this collective  chemical has on the body ,you are not allowed to put them in food and some European countries they have to state it contains chemicals .I stick to to what I know and buy good honest beer and if I have to pay a few pence more ,well as they say you get what you pay for ,cheers to all ,O and I don't work for CAMRA    Malc S

Quote    Reply   

#66 [url]

Jul 6 12 8:00 PM

HI Hamlet
I have not been on the site for a while due to holidays(annual pilgramage to Tunisia) but read with great interest that you were a a Birmingham fireman.
My stepmother was also emplyed in various positions by firstly the Birmingham Fire and Ambulance Service ( as it was known When she joined in 1955 )  then when they changed the name to Birmingham Fire Service.  She worked at Mosely road ,  Bordsley Green  & Central
HQ ( Bottm of the hill in Dale End) & retired in 1976 approx.

Saltley brings back memories to me, the LMS steam railway sheds, my brother Brian was based there first as an engine fireman then later beame a top link driver, he often took me to the shed to trainspot.

Have not been back forr at 20years i expect its all changed?

Regards Ted

Harpenden 1949/53,flat 14, Sister Daisy Sherwood.There with my brother .Left Jan 53.

Quote    Reply   

#67 [url]

Jan 19 13 7:59 PM

Thankyou  Steve, Roger and Dave, for all those interesting little snippets of information.  We're never too old to be educated, are we ?

Jennifer

-jenniferjones

it's got a small sister in paris.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help