Remove this ad

royl

fanatic

Lead

May 5 12 1:50 PM

Tags : :

Just as I was settling for the lighter rain as a sign of spring there was a real one.  I heard a Cuckoo.
This was unexpected as it is yet another miserable day and add to that I haven't heard a Cuckoo in this area for 3-4 years at least.
I did try to see it but failed, however I am sure it will stand out as it must be in orange armbands and wellies to survive.  However I am doubtful of the brolly.    tic

Roy

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 6 12 6:43 AM

You'll recognise it when you see it Roy, in it's stripey waistcoat.  We have plenty here, and there's been one sitting in the conifers cuckoo-ing relentlessly all b.....  night ! 

Jennifer 

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#5 [url]

May 6 12 3:17 PM

Hi Shel  Don't mail you often but how are you keeping .Your right about the blue bells where are they if not in your lovely country .Take care regards  Malc S

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

May 6 12 4:14 PM

Hi Shelagh I miss it to, all those lovely bluebells bring back memories. We have had snow the last couple of days but it cannot make it,s mind up as to whether to stay or melt. Hope all is well with you & family. Getting ready soon for the 17th May here in Norway so i hope we get Summer weather for the day specially for the younger ones. I hope you are better now.
Terry

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

May 6 12 5:37 PM

Hi Malc! The 17th of May is Norways national day ,so plenty of cakes etc that day. The royal family stand on there balcony waving to all the children of all ages who go in a very large procession past the royal palace. They have similar parades everywhere in Norway. Hope you both have a great time in Whitby and you have some good weather. hello to Lesley
Regards Terry & Rigmor

Quote    Reply   

dianaw

superstar

#9 [url]

May 6 12 6:45 PM

Hi Shelagh, our bungalow was built on woodland & bluebells keep popping up all over the garden at this time of the year.  I've been waiting for the lilac trees to bloom so I could post you a photo & remind you of the song 'We'll gather lilacs in the spring again'.  Our Sister Edith was always singing it in spring.  I've been reading past posts & the words of the song you mentioned,  'A garden full of England', are beautiful.  I've never heard it before & wonder how the tune goes.  Here's a corner of my garden.  love Di 

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

malsal

superstar

#10 [url]

May 6 12 8:37 PM

Hi Terry Its very Nice of Norway but they really don't have to go to all that trouble for my  Birthday ,but they can send me some of that cake .

Di  My Lilac is just out  I've taken a picture but its getting dark so they haven't come out very well ,and I have trouble sending .Malc C
PS I been under orders not to cut the grass for the last few weeks ,but I'm cutting before we go on Holiday .

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

royl

fanatic

#11 [url]

May 7 12 12:38 AM

Can we do flowers under the 'Trades descriptions Act'?.    My Bluebells have been quite spectacular but suffered from a misnomer. There are some blue but more prevalant this year have been the pink and white ones. I went to get a picture but they are all past it now.  The wet has prolonged the naturals in our woods but they do seem to have been quite sparse compared with previous years.
If anything has flourished in this area it is the Forget-me-nots. They are putting on magnificent shows, in some areas really rich blue and in others the pink tinge is showing through.

Roy

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

May 7 12 12:57 PM

Oh the cuckoo she's a pretty bird
she singeth as she flies
she bringeth good tidings
she telleth no lies
she sucketh white flowers
for to keep her voice clear
and the more she singeth cuckoo
the summer draweth near

Well, we had to sing this in school, it seems to me.  Or was it the NCH?
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

May 7 12 1:01 PM

HI Malsal!
I'm in the U.S.A. now--and they do have harebells here, and other pretty blue flowers somewhat resembling the English bluebells, but there's nothing like the real English bluebells in the woods over there in the Olde Countree! :-)
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#18 [url]

May 7 12 1:05 PM

Hi Jennifer,
                       If I had spotted your field my first thoughts would have been Rape . How many years of ' one years seed = seven years weed' does that represent?

Hi Stephen,
                      That garden protocol of yours has very great similarities here.  I expect yours also included and will possibly include again, holes deeper than 3" in which case -snap!

Roy

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

May 7 12 1:08 PM

HI Terry!
Happy 17th May coming up soon in Norway.  My "Norwegians" are in Berkeley, California til the end of July, so they'll probably be celebrating with the other ex-pat Norwegians currently at the university there this year.  But I know what a big day it is in Norway--folks wearing their national costumes, flags flyings, parades and music, food and fun!  Have a good one!  :-)
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

May 7 12 1:12 PM

Lovely pics, Jennifer!  I SO want to go to France again sometime--if there were world enough and time.  Not to mention moolah!   But I may have to settle for having been in Paris twice, many centuries ago.  But you live in a very beautiful--naturally beautiful--spot!  Lovely. :-)
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help