Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 29 12 1:19 PM

Tags : :

Sister Marjorie Chapman
l really don’t know how l would have survived without Sister Marjorie, seriously life was made bearable by her, l owe her so much it is impossible for me to properly explain. Within Malmesbury House there were six family units, each one looked after by a sister, but this sister, Sister Marjorie was more like a mother to me, l really loved her….Sister Marjorie was  an angel….Well you can see by just looking at the photograph of her the humour and warmth she radiates. l was very damaged in certain areas and she understood, never did she lose her temper or shout, she always listened to your point of view. Sister Marjorie was clever with her hands too, she was a very accomplished dressmaker and had the patience to show me how to make things. She knew about all the little preferences the girls had and from one batch of fabric she would conjure up several different designs for all us girls to be different, she was so gifted. l have never forgotten her. Anyone know any information about Sister Marjorie?
                Gill

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Jun 30 12 4:18 PM

Thank you Clive,

Do you know anything about the NCH Sisterhood? By that l mean their training and life. What happens in retirement? l know so very little and feel l should know more. How can l find out if Sister Marjorie is still alive, although l am guessing she would be in her late eighties by now?

Gill Buckland (na. Gillian Boulton) Malmesbury House, St. Leonards on sea. 1959-1962.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jul 6 12 10:36 AM

Dear Clive, 

Thank you so much for your help and now l have a much clearer understanding of the background and the history of these wonderful people (well most of them!) l guess l was very lucky to have had Sister Marjorie in my life at that point in time, when life had been so unfair, to have someone who was so understanding, non judgemental, patient, kind and above all fair was just what l needed. l have attached the docs. you sent me for anyone else to see who is curious.....
Note: l was very sad to see the Sisterhood's demise.....l can't imagine what could have taken the place of my Sister Marjorie?!

All the very best Brother in Care,

Gill.

Click here to view the attachment
Click here to view the attachment

Gill Buckland (na. Gillian Boulton) Malmesbury House, St. Leonards on sea. 1959-1962.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jul 6 12 10:48 AM

???......."Within Malmesbury House there were six family units".

Umm? Thinking about my previous statement, l can only remember 3 sisters in Malmesbury House; Sister Doreen, she was nice too and was my best friend, Cynthia Harvey's Sister. Sister Mary, l remember her because she was a horror!!! And of course my Sister Marjorie. Maybe there weren't six families at Malmesbury? l guess l need to investigate further?

Gill

Quote    Reply   

clive

superstar

#5 [url]

Jul 6 12 6:55 PM

Dear Gill,

My pleasure and thanks for making this information on the NCH Sisterhood more widely available.  It was great having a chat with you and I will be in touch again concerning Mrs Ethel Mason your NCH Child Care Officer.

Best wishes Sister in care,

Clive 

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Aug 8 12 10:57 PM

Sister Doreen, Sister Lousie, Sister MarjorieSister Mary, windy willow, avonlee, balmore,

OMG catch a few on face book I was there from 1962/3 Maggie one of the twins Alan, brother Robert,

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Aug 9 12 6:07 PM

l left at the end of July 1962, what month did you arrive at Malmesbury? whose family were you in? l was thinking maybe you took my place?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#8 [url]

Aug 15 12 6:09 PM

no only 5 houses summerleze sister sheila. sister mary windy willows.sister doreen green gables. my sister margaret was in there. i was in avonlea and miss machin i think that was her name.we were at malmesbury house from april 1963 till march 1965. and lastly sister marjorie. mr craig was in charge and his sidekich was mr peckham i think. hope that a bit more of info for you all the best phil haynes 

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Aug 16 12 3:30 PM

Thanks Phil, yes that's jogged my memory a bit! Mr Peckham, yes l remember him! l can remember Sister Margaret looking after us when Sister Marjorie was in hospital with TB. She was really nice too. Did Sister Margaret have Diabetes? l can remember her boiling up great big needles,
l was really scared of needles back in the day!

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Aug 19 12 1:28 PM

when i said sister margaret i was talking about my sister who was at the home as well she was in green gables. i remember a angela nemal i think she was in your house and her sister was in avonlea thinkher name was rosalind. all the best phil

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Aug 22 12 2:40 PM

Ha ha, l'm getting my wires crossed, still it brought back some old memories, so was Sister Margorie's house called Avonlea? l remember where our family room was, it was the first door on the right as you come in the main entrance. The only names l remember are Cynthia Harvey (her older sister was called Catherine l think), Susan Mcquillan, (her older brother was Cliff?) Eileen & John Barnes, Kaodi ? Do you remember any of these?

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Aug 22 12 3:33 PM

hi you are right sister marjorie was in barmoral house.i think cynthia sister was kathleen. i have been e-mailing john barnes hoping to meet at hastings sometime. there are afew names on friends reunited website. i remeber the name tony neelig he was in windy willows also his brohter paul who was in summerlea. in avonlea where i was audrey francis, roger barker kevin newsome i think. i also remberer sister edith she was like the nurse i think. all for now. phil

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Aug 24 12 6:55 PM

Hi Phil, you have got an amazing memory.......Yes Cynthia's sister was Kathleen, so you knew Cynthia? l would give my right arm to meet her again, she was my best friend. So you are going to meet up with John, how l wish l was in UK cause l would love to meet him again, please, when you see him can you send my best to him......l hope he remembers me?!! l know his sister will, Eileen  and l were climbing a tree and she lost her footing & fell and broke her arm, so she won't forget that l don't expect...We were always up to mischief !!!!!

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Aug 27 12 10:07 AM

hi again if not in uk where somewhere hot. if you look on friends reunited website then serch malmesbury house you will see names you remember .john barnes.eileen younger(barnes).evelvn nally.richard grant.ann yallop theres afew there to start with.let me know how you get on phil

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help