Hope you'll be able to spot some names in this issue.  love Di & Audrey

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

Oct 16 12 9:33 PM

Many thanks, Di! 
The 1956 "Our News" posts are much more reader-friendly!  A couple of clicks and voila!  There are several people mentioned in this one that I remember well!  And it's nice to get the married names of some of the old girls, as they are much harder to search for otherwise.
Super!
Many thanks!  :-)
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#10 [url]

Oct 18 12 10:29 AM

In the Summer 1956 copy, it mentions a Swimming Pool for Harpenden, what became of that idea?

Philip

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Oct 18 12 12:09 PM

Hi Philip!
Yes, I noticed that, too.  Obviously it never happened.  But wouldn't that have been nice!  Some tennis courts would have been good, too!  :-)
Ah well, we did have the run of 40 acres of woods and fields.  I'll be ever grateful for that!
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#12 [url]

Oct 18 12 4:18 PM

It could be that they ran out of money and all that is left is still behind the cemetary. But seriously they were surveying sites in a very general way in 1954 and were considering the demoltion of the very earliest lecture hall.  That is the one behind the chapel that was used to garage the Furgy tractor at one end whilst Mr Roberts and the Brownies used the other,( but not at the same time I understand!)

Roy

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Oct 21 12 11:12 AM

Could always use the unofficial swimming facility, the river lea! Trouble was you had to cross the main line to get to it.

-dave

This is not quite acurate as you could go under the railway line and we did this often when taking walks to the chestnut woods on the other side of the Lee.
Coming out of Highbury, one turns right taking the road past the sanitorium and then on to the farm and continue down the path towards the Lee. How we got across to the other bank I cannot remember. Some bright spark will remember.
Dave, if you have Google Earth just take a look at the old school and grounds as little has changed.
So dont get wet and buy some modern swimming trunks not those old wooly ones.

Shelaghe, there was a tennis court which was behind the nursery school to the left going towads the boys woods. Out of bounds to us and the only person I ever saw playing there was Shutt and his friends.

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#15 [url]

Oct 21 12 11:35 AM

Note to the Big Boys (11 years and older)
You rotters, you never told me that part of the River Lea was so close to the Home, in my three years I never found out about it.

Philip

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Oct 21 12 1:22 PM

Hi Gavin!
I knew I had been in the chestnut woods you mention!  But couldn't remember where they were--somewhere close to Highfield, but not a part of it, obviously.  They were so different from "our" woods, that much I knew.

As to Mr Shutt's tennis court, I don't remember ever seeing it--must have quickly learned it was out of bounds for the likes of us, anyway! :-)
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Oct 21 12 4:10 PM

Note to the Big Boys (11 years and older)You rotters, you never told me that part of the River Lea was so close to the Home, in my three years I never found out about it.Philip

-philip

Perhaps they did not want you falling in Philip, knowing your reputation.
Anyway we only went there in autumn for the chestnuts and to see the red squirrels.
I remember the trees being huge as against the horse chest nut trees, conkers.
So we had to throw the sticks high up into the branches

There was something else that you may remember Shelagh, there was alot of wild mustard being grown there in the river Lea.

Memories

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#19 [url]

Oct 21 12 11:25 PM

I am surprised that no one seems to remember that you had to cross two railways to get to the River Lea. The LMS was the nearest with four tracks and that could be avoided by way of Gavin's route and using the cattle tunnel form Murchee's land. (There is a picture of Audrey with a dog on here some where, it shows the tunnel in the backgound.)  After that you crossed the LNER single track by the gated crossing.  This route also took you down to the part of the Lea where we could collect Water Cress that had escaped from the East Hyde beds. This was a good peace offering when you got back late for Sunday tea but it no longer worked after the second or third time.  The route straight across starting by the Cemetary involved running across both lines  but it did put you right alongside the far side of the orchards for the best chance of successful scrumping. For some unknown reason the apples were never successful peace offerings, cant imagine why!

Roy

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Oct 27 12 3:52 PM

Hi there one and all just got back from a mini break so have only just checked all the infoe,great job from Di &Audrey with ref to the our news mags inparticular the 1956 addition were it mentions the football team i can recall most of the names one inparticular Tubby Rear who was from OGB, a few of us would go and watch them play on a Saturday morning over at Lords i wonder what they would think of the modern game,
      Yes it was a shame that the swimming pool never got of the ground how much better that would have been not having walk all the way to that one at Kimton just too get freezing cold and then having to walk all the way back i get the  shivers just thinking about,  having said that most of us learned to swim there,
       And who can forget the Chestnut woods that was always worth a visit and at that time of the year the option would have to be Gavin route much quicker and less muddy fields to go through and if my memory serves me well we would go that way up to boughersheath [ not sure if thats the right spelling] but the sisters often took there kids there for picnics and sometime we would light a fire and fry a few bangers happy days,we would take the four lines route in the late summer when there was plenty of scrumping to be had and to have somthing to munch on by the time we got to the river Lea
  I can remember the tennis courts the one behind Ted Shutts house and i think there was one behind the old laundry where the Bungalow for the sister day off  was situated.
      Well Di & Audrey i waite with waited breath for more of our old News letters .
         I hope that i find you all well  and ready for the long winter nights,best regards Bertie B.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help