Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Oct 27 12 8:40 PM

Hi Bert!
Did you see the reference to your brother, Fred, on page 23 of the Christmas 1952 Our News?

That Kimpton swimming pool--oh yes, I remember how freezing it always was!  But like so many others, I did learn to swim there.  Remember the moment well, just like the one when I first learned to ride a bike.  Magic!
Do you remember the visit we did from the Church School to a brick kiln somewhere in the vicinity?  Quite fascinating.
And now we're talking about the Church Green School  I know--but do you remember Mr Cave?  Lovely man.
The chestnut woods were so lovely in the autumn--spacious and beautiful, and yes, chestnuts everywhere on the ground that we could collect and actually eat!  They never made it to the "roasting on an open fire" bit in my memory!
:-)
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Oct 28 12 6:40 AM

Shelagh,

Church Green School is still there (bricks & morter) if you take a look with Google Earth, found it the other day. Anybody remember the fair that was on the Silver Cup pond green, I seem to remember a pond but it is not there anymore. took a trip down to the river Lea and went through the bridge under the railway lines.
Where there were fields are now houses everywhere, wierd this progress

Gavin

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Oct 28 12 6:45 PM

Hi Gavin!
Oh yes, I stood outside the Church Green School just a couple of years ago, during the days of the 2010 NCH Harpenden reunion.  Amazing!   It's almost exactly as it was, except you can't just walk in anymore: "progress" has dictated that every school have strong and guarded doors now, and a keypad for the codes the staff have to use to get in.  I rang the bell and waited for a while, hoping they wouldn't mind if a former student of some 60 years ago could take a quick peek inside, but alas, classes were in session, and if I came back later, maybe I could arrange with someone to see the school.  I sadly had to tell them I probably wouldn't be back for a couple of years--I was on my way back to America.
But in the street I met a lovely woman from St Nicks church, and I don't know why but we got chatting, and she was absolutely gob-smacked that I was one of the NCH kids who used to go to the Church Green School.  She knew all about that, and kept asking me about the Home and what it was like, etc etc.  I said only good things!  But it was one of those encounters that you can't quite grasp why such things happen, or why it felt so good!
Shelagh

Quote    Reply   

philip

fanatic

#24 [url]

Dec 1 12 11:23 PM

Roy,
For those who need visual instruction, thanks to Google, it is easy to see the route from the air.
Was the reason that the path from the woods to the river waved a little, to avoid getting spotted?
As you say, the two lots of railways can be seen, although one is overgrown now.

Philip

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

royl

fanatic

#25 [url]

Dec 2 12 1:04 AM

Hi Philip,
                       Good graphic but the route marked  is bit to the left of the one I used.  The area of Springfield Crescent etc. was an orchard,none of that housing estate which can be seen was developed.  My route started crossing the fence with the cemetary immediately on my left then down close to the orchard hedge on my right. Keeping to this line you were at the R.Lea as soon as you crossed the LNER line and in cover most of the way. Which as we say these days, was useful. 
                If you were foolish enough to try it these days you couldnt get further than the railway fence by the cemetary which has gone from an open 3 bar wooden construction to a completely idiot proof 6' metal construction.   Talk about closing the gate after the horse has bolted!

Roy

ps The route Gavin described is just off the top of the picture.

pps And before anyone asks - No, I have not  proved it was 'idiot proof'

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help