Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 14 12 10:21 AM

Tags : :

Would i be right in assuming that  the Harrogate branch of the NCH took the name Fairfield after the arrival of HC Roycroft and the removal of the much disliked sign National Childrens Home & Orphanage in 1950 and who chose the name Fairfield ?
regards Terry

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

clive

superstar

#1 [url]

Nov 15 12 8:40 AM

Dear Terry,

Thanks for your message.

I thought you might like to know that the publicity film extract from 1954 (that Philip kindly made available on Youtube) clearly shows the entrance sign to the Birmingham Branch as National Children's Home and there is no reference to Orphanage.  I used this evidence as a follow up to the suggestion I made about dropping the words "and Orphanage" from the NCH title on the Wesley Historical Society web site.  My earlier request was:-

I should be grateful if you would delete National Children's Home and Orphanage and replace with National Children's Home.  Many of the "Old Boys and Girls" of NCH were not Orphans and it is a credit to the Rev John W Waterhouse OBE, MA, BD, former Principal and the General Committee of the National Children's Home that the Charity Commission were persuaded to drop 'and Orphanage' from the title.

In the NCH General Reports to the Methodist Conference for 1944 to 1969 for the period that JWW served the NCH, the heading for 1948 is National Children's Home, two years before JWW became Principal and many years before the Charity Commission gave consent to the change of name.

Best wishes,

Clive  

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help